Lynne mc

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
lancashire
Funster No
MH
don`t own one yet
Exp
My husband and I have been talking about buying a motorhome. We are complete novices.We did caravaning while the children were young.they have now left home. We are trying to work out the benifits for a motorhome vs renting cottages.(especially with rising costs of fuel). We have a new addition to our family. ( a puppy).We have read lots of motorhome mags but are getting more confused. Can anybody help us please? Also would a 2lt deisel van be ok for going up hills etc?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My husband and I have been talking about buying a motorhome. We are complete novices.We did caravaning while the children were young.they have now left home. We are trying to work out the benifits for a motorhome vs renting cottages.(especially with rising costs of fuel). We have a new addition to our family. ( a puppy).We have read lots of motorhome mags but are getting more confused. Can anybody help us please? Also would a 2lt deisel van be ok for going up hills etc?

Hi Lynne and Welcome to MHF.
For a funster to answer your question or questions a little more detail would help,
When you say Van, are you talking about a van as in a small van or a large van,
Or are you talking of a van conversion....
The weight of the van, how many people will be travelling in it.
Are you talking a modern Van or a older van....to any those questions I have just mentioned yes A 2lt Diesel engine would be ok, but a modern engine usually are far superior quicker,pulls better and normally more economical..
The older diesel may be a little slower a little less on the MPG but will still go up hills.

Now many people talk of there motorhome as a VAN..(just a figure of speech )
Then I would say depending on the size of motorhome..weight, Custom cab or "A" class,
e.g for the larger motorhome 6.8m ish Plus a bigger engine would be far better,
A new engine type 2.3 to 3ltr...
Older engines a 2.5 to 2.8 ltr.
This is on European Vans & Motorhomes.....
A small motorhome say at around 5 to 6m in length a modern 2lt injection multi jet should be fine.
I hope that has been a little help to you.

Mel

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
my van is a 2.3ltr and goes up hills with Np as for the difference between cottages and mh if you don't like where u r u cant move the cottage we also have a small pup and with the pet passport scheme he can go with us to Europe also i know the cost of fuel is high but i still believe the saving compared to a fixed holiday outway the fuel cost
happy travelling and hope you get what you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, first thing you need to do is subscribe before you run out of free posts, heehee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lynne mc

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
lancashire
Funster No
MH
don`t own one yet
Exp
2 ltr ok no problem as long as turbodiesel , non turbo bit sluggish.[/QUOTE

thanks for your reply.We also have a puppy cocker spaniel.
We are not sure weither to get one with a bed over the cab or just a 2 berth. on a few occasion we may take our grandchildren so not sure weither to get one for them as well as have the extra storage when we are on our own. What do you think. whatever we decided on would be 6m in length.Also what are your views on end kitchen against middle kitchen with end lounge?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
2 ltr ok no problem as long as turbodiesel , non turbo bit sluggish.[/QUOTE

thanks for your reply.We also have a puppy cocker spaniel.
We are not sure weither to get one with a bed over the cab or just a 2 berth. on a few occasion we may take our grandchildren so not sure weither to get one for them as well as have the extra storage when we are on our own. What do you think. whatever we decided on would be 6m in length.Also what are your views on end kitchen against middle kitchen with end lounge?

Lynne, My suggestion would be go to as many motorhome shows as you possibly can...also go to as many dealers as well....NOT with the intension of buying yet....sit in them, walk about in them, try climbing into the over cab bed...., go into the toilet shut the door and see if you can sit down in comfort,... just think you will be living in it....look at different size motorhomes, see what you can get on your drive or in your garden,
Go with a figure in mind what you intend to spend,...then come down about 4,000 that will give a bit to spend for a lot of the extras you may want later...also it will help if you have a problem after purchase mainly on a private sale...meaning keep the rose glasses in you pocket..
When you finally decide on a motorhome, a model you like..and you have found a dealer or a private sale....then Barter, for extras, guarantee, it is a buyers market
Lynne just think a over cab bed normally uses a bit diesel...because it has more wind resistance.

Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back