Kentucky Estro 9 Mercedes Motorhome (1 Viewer)

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Advice needed before buying a Kentucky Estro 9 Mercedes Motorhome

We are going to look at a Kentucky Estro 9 Mercedes Motorhome tomorrow. Has anyone got experience with this model? If so could you let us know what you think and also what to look out for. Would also appreciate any general things to ask/check to help us:Eeek:. All the best to you all Roger & Teri

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are going to look at a Kentucky Estro 9 Mercedes Motorhome tomorrow. Has anyone got experience with this model? If so could you let us know what you think and also what to look out for. Would also appreciate any general things to ask/check to help us:Eeek:. All the best to you all Roger & Teri

Roger & Teri....Sorry don't much about them, as it was only last week that I first heard of a Kentucky motorhome..a friend was talking to me about one?..
The motorhome is on a Merc sprinter cab and chassis ..so that is good....just looked at one on Ebay and it looks fine...
If the price is right,
No damage and in good condition,
No damps smells or signs of damp...lift the mattress up and check for damp
The layout is what you want, or works well for you go for it.....
There are no real bad motorhomes... it is just the prices and what they cost!!!:Eeek::Doh::winky:
Motorhomes just go on for years and years....
The more you pay, the more extras and fancy bits on board ....gimmicks and gadgets:winky:

Sit in it, walk around in it, lounge in the seats, try lying in the bed to see if it is easy to get in and out of it, is it comfortable. don't rush in and then out...think of living in it....check toilet compartment to see if you fit in OK with the door shut when you sit down...check shower make sure no cracks in the tray...see what extras are with it any warranty...any receipts from items that have been added...handbooks for the motorhome any items fitted.....ask and make sure all is working on the motorhome...check for cam belt change ( I think on a Merc it is a chain drive but not sure) check when it was last serviced. open draws, doors, cupboards, if there are fans, extractors, check they are working...fridge & freezer....if there is a sat dish wind it up and down if manuel..if electric make sure it works.....windows and locks...alarms if fitted, When did it last have a Habitation check,...check all tyres for tread and how old are they, look for cracking on the side walls...look for the date on the tyres...they say after 5 to 6 years they may be ready for changing.
Just check everything, as much as you can.... you are paying out a lot of money! It is a home all be it a Mobile one
If all is OK test drive it
Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Tanks Mel

Roger & Teri....Sorry don't much about them, as it was only last week that I first heard of a Kentucky motorhome..a friend was talking to me about one?..
The motorhome is on a Merc sprinter cab and chassis ..so that is good....just looked at one on Ebay and it looks fine...
If the price is right,
There are no real bad motorhomes... it is just the prices and what they cost!!!:Eeek::Doh::winky:
The more you pay, the more extras and fancy bits on board ....gimmicks and gadgets:winky:

Sit in it, walk around in it, lounge in the seats, try lying in the bed to see if it is easy to get in and out of it, is it comfortable. don't rush in and then out...think of living in it....check toilet compartment to see if you fit in OK with the door shut when you sit down...check shower make sure no cracks in the tray...see what extras are with it any warranty...any receipts from items that have been added...handbooks for the motorhome any items fitted.....ask and make sure all is working on the motorhome...check for cam belt change ( I think on a Merc it is a chain drive but not sure) check when it was last serviced. open draws, doors, cupboards, if there are fans, extractors, check they are working...fridge & freezer....if there is a sat dish wind it up and down if manuel..if electric make sure it works.....windows and locks...alarms if fitted, When did it last have a Habitation check,...check all tyres for tread and how old are they, look for cracking on the side walls...look for the date on the tyres...they say after 5 to 6 years they may be ready for changing.
Just check everything, as much as you can.... you are paying out a lot of money!
Mel

Some sound advice, thank you very much. it is on ebay @ 28K so may be the one you saw. Great tips thanks so much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Some sound advice, thank you very much. it is on ebay @ 28K so may be the one you saw. Great tips thanks so much.

Roge ...Yes it was the one I was looking at ....if there are going to be more than you and your wife/partner meaning children take them with so you are all in together see if it not to confined...yes it may have a awning ok for the UK and ok on campsites...but if you are over here in France on aires....no awnings to be used so make sure you have ample room
It does not say WHAT mileage....????
this is the list ....a good idea is to copy it and use it like a check list..1 to make sure they are all there....and 2 to make sure they are all working..it says 36 to the gallon Mmmmm think more like 25 to 30.....but you live in hope...you never know:winky::winky::ROFLMAO:
Roge I have highlighted some items make sure all these work....also check the step in and out...as they sometimes stick or they blow a fuse:Doh:

The list
Top of the range Mercedes Kentucky motorhome,very rare vehicle only 15 made for this country,parts easy to find.Top of range Clifford alarm with security coded immobiliser,Full GH awning with sides and skirt valance,large top box,extra water tank built in,extra storage locker,electic step,rear ladder,twin wheels provide better driving stability,stablising jacks,blind spot mirrors,reversing camera,outside 240v socket and antenae cable to watch tv outside,electric external water pump,waste water bouser and spare portable water drum,extra leisure batteries,1000w inverter,large garage space,will fit 2 full size motor cross bikes,decked out with checker plate,room for generator,kit bag ,spare wheels and jet wash storage (not included extra storage cupboards,Self seeking satelight system,just put your own sky card in ,all roof lights changed to let in more light,with black out blind and fly nets, entrance door has fly net,tow ball ,removable carpet throughout,seatbelted seating for 6, 2 King size beds and settee converts to double bed, dining table,wardrobe,good ammount of storage space,TV/DVD player,and 2nd tv in bedroom,gas oven,fridge freeze,3 ring gas hob,extendable work surface,water heater and excellent blown hot air throughout vehicle,shower room with seperate shower cubicle,sink and toilet,bathroom cabinets.

Vehicle lovingly kept and will not disapoint,drives like a car with 160BHP and roughly:winky::winky: 36miles /gallon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Roge ...Yes it was the one I was looking at ....if there are going to be more than you and your wife/partner meaning children take them with so you are all in together see if it not to confined...yes it may have a awning ok for the UK and ok on campsites...but if you are over here in France on aires....no awnings to be used so make sure you have ample room
It does not say WHAT mileage....????
this is the list ....a good idea is to copy it and use it like a check list..1 to make sure they are all there....and 2 to make sure they are all working..it says 36 to the gallon Mmmmm think more like 25 to 30.....but you live in hope...you never know:winky::winky::ROFLMAO:
Roge I have highlighted some items make sure all these work....also check the step in and out...as they sometimes stick or they blow a fuse:Doh:

The list
Top of the range Mercedes Kentucky motorhome,very rare vehicle only 15 made for this country,parts easy to find.Top of range Clifford alarm with security coded immobiliser,Full GH awning with sides and skirt valance,large top box,extra water tank built in,extra storage locker,electic step,rear ladder,twin wheels provide better driving stability,stablising jacks,blind spot mirrors,reversing camera,outside 240v socket and antenae cable to watch tv outside,electric external water pump,waste water bouser and spare portable water drum,extra leisure batteries,1000w inverter,large garage space,will fit 2 full size motor cross bikes,decked out with checker plate,room for generator,kit bag ,spare wheels and jet wash storage (not included extra storage cupboards,Self seeking satelight system,just put your own sky card in ,all roof lights changed to let in more light,with black out blind and fly nets, entrance door has fly net,tow ball ,removable carpet throughout,seatbelted seating for 6, 2 King size beds and settee converts to double bed, dining table,wardrobe,good ammount of storage space,TV/DVD player,and 2nd tv in bedroom,gas oven,fridge freeze,3 ring gas hob,extendable work surface,water heater and excellent blown hot air throughout vehicle,shower room with seperate shower cubicle,sink and toilet,bathroom cabinets.

Vehicle lovingly kept and will not disapoint,drives like a car with 160BHP and roughly:winky::winky: 36miles /gallon.
Thanks once again, you have been very thoughtful and kind to reply. I will take this with me.:thumb:

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
If the price is right,

Just check everything, as much as you can.... you are paying out a lot of money! It is a home all be it a Mobile one
Mel

Hi Mel went today. Mileage is 46K. I checked through most things. The guy seems quite genuine and open. You were right about the steps, they had stopped working, (is that common). The satelite system is automatic and self seeking. I had a drive and it seems to drive well. There has been no habitation check (not sure what this entails?). He will MOT before selling and will change cam belt if I insist. The fixtures and fittings seemed ok for the year and age. The seat covers and curtains I might replace as they look their age. I wonder where that can be done well? You are right about MPG it sounded a bit hopeful. I cannot purchase until September when I retire, although it is not too far off it may well be sold by then. But I have tried to manage his expectations about that.

Once again thanks for your help with this, I do greatly appreciate it and your friendliness, thats what I love about this site.

Roge and Teri

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Kentucky Estro

Hi, I thought that the Mercedes was chain driven, not cam belt?

S

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The merc sprinter does NOT have a cam belt it has a chain so now be prepared to question whatever else you have been told. 36mpg seems a bit high, my sprinter based Amazon only does 24mpg. Be aware of licence requirements as weight is almost certainly over 3,500kgs, ok if you have a grandfathered licence or C1 entitlement. Carrying motorbikes will constitute the carriage of goods, and invalidate your insurance. The vehicle then also becomes an HGV rather than a PHGV and will require a further licence entitlement. All that aside it looks tidy and a reasonable layout but no daytime lounging area so its sit at table or lie on the bed. Price obviously negotiable and a bit high at the moment. Door to garage handy if you have a dog or even sleep kids in there on a campbed, hee hee. Good luck and hope you are the lucky buyer.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Hi, I thought that the Mercedes was chain driven, not cam belt?

S
Yes I have heard that too. My great mechanical knowledge leads me to ask 'is that good???' I guess it might be as a chain sounds better than an elastic band! Might need some advice on this guys.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
The merc sprinter does NOT have a cam belt it has a chain so now be prepared to question whatever else you have been told. 36mpg seems a bit high, my sprinter based Amazon only does 24mpg. Be aware of licence requirements as weight is almost certainly over 3,500kgs, ok if you have a grandfathered licence or C1 entitlement. Carrying motorbikes will constitute the carriage of goods, and invalidate your insurance. The vehicle then also becomes an HGV rather than a PHGV and will require a further licence entitlement. All that aside it looks tidy and a reasonable layout but no daytime lounging area so its sit at table or lie on the bed. Price obviously negotiable and a bit high at the moment. Door to garage handy if you have a dog or even sleep kids in there on a campbed, hee hee. Good luck and hope you are the lucky buyer.

He did not mention a chain, I asked him about it but he did not seem too sure! I do have a C1 entitlement although my wife will need to upgrade. We are too old for motorbikes but may consider motorised cycles! I agee with what you say about the daytime lounge, The seating does not look too comfortable for evenings! I guess this may be sold by September but in the meantime we remain on the lookout. Thanks for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back