Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
Bath
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Have to get cat 1 alarm for new m/h bought at Chelstons,anybody got any views and comments on type,and who to fit it. Main dealer,vanbitz etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a standard car alarm as fitted by many is pretty much useless on a motorhome, as for instance it doesnt allow you to set the perimeter alarm for whilst your sleeping in the van. Vanbitz strikeback is a good system and there is a discount for members of this site

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
VanBitz every time, an alarm specifically designed for motorhomes. You can arm it at night with the external contacts so you are able to sleep securely, you can't do that with a car alarm which is either on or off, when on the internal sensors are still operational and will sense your presence and activate the alarm.

As soon as I change motorhomes the first thing I do is have a Strikeback alarm fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
VanBitz every time, an alarm specifically designed for motorhomes. You can arm it at night with the external contacts so you are able to sleep securely, you can't do that with a car alarm which is either on or off, when on the internal sensors are still operational and will sense your presence and activate the alarm.

As soon as I change motorhomes the first thing I do is have a Strikeback alarm fitted.
so totaly wrong:Doh:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have a fiat ducato base which has an immobiliser as standard which gives it a CAT2 Thatcham rating. I had a cobra alarm (Cat 2-1) fitted (includes internal movement sensors and a storage locker sensor) and this brings the system up to a CAT1 Thatcham which does give additional insurance discount.

It works using the vehicles own central locking and we can disable the internal movement sensor should we leave the dog in the van or I suppose use it during the night (when we sleep), but I have never felt the need as yet.

Other alarms are available.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have a fiat ducato base which has an immobiliser as standard which gives it a CAT2 Thatcham rating. I had a cobra alarm (Cat 2-1) fitted (includes internal movement sensors and a storage locker sensor) and this brings the system up to a CAT1 Thatcham which does give additional insurance discount.

It works using the vehicles own central locking and we can disable the internal movement sensor should we leave the dog in the van or I suppose use it during the night (when we sleep), but I have never felt the need as yet.

Other alarms are available.
i have a cat 1 also and had it retro fitted by an approved installer cost £300 fitted, no fancy name just a cat 1 alarm that has all the lockers sensors and hab door sensors:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Have to get cat 1 alarm for new m/h bought at Chelstons,anybody got any views and comments on type,and who to fit it. Main dealer,vanbitz etc.

Whatever alarm it is make sure you receive your certificate or else the alarm would be worthless in the event of a claim , also applies if you purchase an used van with an alarm make sure you receive the certificate , some ins companies are insisting no cert no cover in the event of a claim .:thumb:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I had to have a CAT1 to obtain insurance and the main two things for my insurer was an installation certificate from an approved installer and that the alarm was on their Thatcham approved list (always worth checking with them before having it fitted). :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have no connection with Vanbitz but a previous alarm user, I would go out of my way to have one of the strikeback alarms as they are top quality IE the switches they use are sealed and not cheap pin switches the system is designed for a motorhome and this is a firm that values their reputation the prices have not really changed in a long long time and you will get a small discount as a funster.It is much handier to have a mobile fitter fit an alarm but Vanbitz do not do this they say the job needs to be done in a workshop to make a good job.If you contact Vanbitz at home or at shows they will give you good advice and there is no hard sell.Lots of firms do motorhome alarms (google) but if you want a firm that people recommend after having work done because they are happy with the job you know where to go you just have to make a short break of it:thumb:

Eddie I really should get commission :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so totaly wrong:Doh:
agreed Chris.
many car alarms do have the ability to deactivate the internal sensors......how else can you leave Fido or young tommy in the alarmed car while you nip into an 'offie' for a bottle of gin and a pack of woodbines.

but there's no substitute for a purpose made motorhome alarm with 'proper' perimeter sensing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back