Sad week ahead (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
This week my son and his family imigrate to New Zealand .He is the only family we have and the thought of not being able to cuddle my 2 Grand Daughters breaks my heart.My daughter in laws parents live in Christchurch and i can understand her wanting to be close to her parents my worry is that they are both giving up good jobs for the unknowing i havent told them this and can only wish them the best but its so hard The one plus point is that we are touring Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of june this hopefully will take our minds of it

Bill

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Must be heartbreaking. You are going to miss them but don't forget technology brings us closer these days and while virtual cuddles will never replace the real thing, skype video calls and Facebook can keep the relationship with the grandkids strong.

Then think of the holidays you can have out there. You can catch a good game of rugby there too. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It Hurts, but at the end of the day they have their lives to live...

And as Jim say`s the communications these days does help the healing of missing the ones you love...:thumb:

A few weekends at some of the "Funster" meets will help take your mind off it.. Like an extended family...::bigsmile:

And some nice holidays to look forwards to, New Zealand is a wonderful place... But...

They may not like it and may come back.. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'm so sorry Bill. This must be really hard for you. It just takes some getting used to. :Sad:

Ivy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This week my son and his family imigrate to New Zealand.
Bill

Heartbreaking. I thought it might happen to me, my daughter married into a part NZ family, got engaged over there. I know it was probably a better future for them but still felt gutted. But so far it has not happened.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Of course SKYPE can't let you cuddle, and as a mum I can understand the way you feel , just like everyone on here who has children and grand children!

But it does help a great deal , to see the ones you love , whenever you wish (or nearly).

You'll be able to see them growing up and they will see you having more lines! But your voice will be the same , and your love will be felt through your words to them ...

So just give you some time to swallow all this, and with a bit of luck your friends here , and around you will make you feel a bit better! And ... planes do exist ... easy jet or Ryan air might offer you good prices .... or you could as well decide to do a year touring around their place in your motorhome (or rent one there!)

You'll be alright ... sometime!

Affectueusement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Heartbreaking. I thought it might happen to me, my daughter married into a part NZ family, got engaged over there. I know it was probably a better future for them but still felt gutted. But so far it has not happened.
Brian you know the what they say A son is a son till he takes a wife a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry to hear, but you"ve got to try and be strong for you and them. Easier said than done I know. Our two boys are still teenagers so I don"t have your worry just yet, tho" our eldest is autistic (plus other complications) so we"ve different woes.... Good luck.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:cry: Crumbs. Don't know what to say. Having an only child can sometimes be the hardest thing in the world.. Being brave, smiling when inside you will be crying to see them go .... part of being a parent, but oh how I feel for you both. Big hugs.:Sad:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My eldest son has lived in America for 5 years, I still chat to him most days and I have a phone tracking set up so I can always trace him if I want too and he can see what I am doing. Fantastic and all free.
He relocated across America last week and I can already see his street and the area he is now living in. Another tip is at Christmas to set up your Skype video call and leave it on over dinner. Your problem will be the time difference she will be getting up as you are off to bed.
Visits are also a great bonus free accommodation and stay as long as you like. :thumb:

Last edited:

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Good luck to the emigrating family.

We visited our daughter in Silverdale North of Auckland NZ for her birthday on 11-11-11 last year and she did not know we were going.
We rented a Mercedes camper for 6 weeks touring it was brilliant. At 10 minutes past 11 on the day of both my wife and daughters (11th November birthdays, one 65 and one 40) big day, the son-in-law stood up and read out a card "from the UK" that had a 1 minute verse written on it at her favourite cafe, the staff reserved table number 11. The last line of that verse was "Have no fear your mother's here TURN AROUND".
By that time mother managed to sneak round the back of her and just stood there so 11-11am on 11-11-11 :Eeek:
That will teach them to go off and leave us won't it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I also managed to enlist the services of the Auckland Morris Dancers for a 40 minute spectacular just before we went for the evening meal and neither mother or daughter was expecting that. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We had a wonderful time visiting and look forward to our next trip (when we can afford to).
We encouraged the daughter to go and for her it has been the best move she has made and she will not be coming back here. She has been over there since 1998.
So don't be sad, be glad, at least it gives you a very good excuse for spending the kids inheritance on having a long distance, expensive and happy holiday.

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I also have Son ,daughter in law, grandson and soon grandaughter in New Zealand. It is hard ,but Skype and ease of modern travel does help, I think its a better lifestyle there particularly for the children.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back