Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
the word 'Have'?

Has it been discontinued without me knowing?
Has it been outed for health and safety's sake?

I often see and hear "I would of", "I could of", "I should of"!

I was taught many days ago, "I would have", "I could have", "I should have".

Is it me? or is the English language being altered behind my back?

And just when I thought we had conquered the pronunciation of the letter 'H' (aitch), instead of 'H' (Haitch)!

Rant over.

Craig

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I could have read your post

the word 'Have'?

And just when I thought we had conquered the pronunciation of the letter 'H' (aitch), instead of 'H' (Haitch)!

Rant over.

Craig

I could have read your post.. but instead I read the post.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We are all going to HAVE to face facts--the young with their must HAVE phones ,lead the way now of pronunciation in their text langauge--us oldies HAVE to follow :Eeek:
lol
:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
'Have' makes up a quite a few compound words I've, we've etc, so it is used less and less, especially in the spoken word.

Try as I might I find it difficult to get even the tiniest upset about the way people express themselves. As long as the communication is effective and the receiver gets what the sender sent. "Should of", "Should have", "Should've" all mean the same to me, take about the same time to read and even if it breaks some obscure grammar rule (does it?) it doesn't really matter to me. Should it? :Smile:

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would 'have' thought we could keep the English language as it has always been, not sliding down to text speak.
Maybe I am old fashioned, but if i text someone, it takes me ages, because i have to spell each word correctly, and include all the punctuation marks!

Don't tell me i am getting old, please!

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I would 'have' thought we could keep the English language as it has always been, not sliding down to text speak.
Maybe I am old fashioned, but if i text someone, it takes me ages, because i have to spell each word correctly, and include all the punctuation marks!

Craig
Don`t ??? !!! :Eeek: you mean ---Please do not ?? :ROFLMAO:
Sorry , txt speak comming out :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
'Have' makes up a quite a few compound words I've, we've etc, so it is used less and less, especially in the spoken word.

Try as I might I find it difficult to get even the tiniest upset about the way people express themselves. As long as the communication is effective and the receiver gets what the sender sent. "Should of", "Should have", "Should've" all mean the same to me, take about the same time to read and even if it breaks some obscure grammar rule (does it?) it doesn't really matter to me. Should it? :Smile:

I think you summed it up, Jim, by saying "As long as the communication is effective". The trouble is that the less grammar rules are followed the more the risk of ineffective communication. Having received a good education in grammar and spelling I have to admit that it grates when I see people using (say) "of" instead of "have" or "draw" instead of "drawer" - or "chimbley" instead of "chimney" on a builder's receipt after some work a few weeks ago :Smile:

I don't criticise on here because of the forum rules but have to admit that I cringe sometimes ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Write!

Being the owner of a six birth RV, l would of thought better ansers would of been 4th coming, but know!

You ave to stoup solo and ridicool me cos i lyke to speek and right proper Inglish!

Well, I will knot resort too yore level and tipe yooth tipe texes! Allwrite?

Heavens! That took me longer to write than normal!

Craig.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There is one expression that winds me up.

Someone in front of me in a coffee shop said something like " could I get a Latte to go?"

Sure its Yank speak or something they have seen in a movie but it annoys me.

One other thing annoys me and thats the use of the word "guys".

There you are sitting in a restaurant in a mixed group of men and women and the waiter ponces up and says "What can I get you guys ?" My wife always looks at me as I roll my eyes and shake my head. Even my bloody mother in law came out with it recently.

guy = bloke unless you are trying to be hip and trendy in my book.

Any of you guys share my angst at this?::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know thee is aware that all languages are continually evolving. The old guard do what they can to stop it but we will always lose ::bigsmile:

Using the wrong words in the wrong context is always going to be wrong, I don't think for one moment that chimbley will take over from chimney or we'll ever use the words window screen, for windscreen. But new words, compounds and abbreviations that break today's grammar rules will be commonplace and probably 'correct' in years to come.

We were taught at school that sentences should never begin with words like 'and' 'however' or 'but' yet modern best selling authors break these rules all the time.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Again... very dangerous ground here Craig...

My father use to send the letters I wrote to him from school back to me with the spelling and grammar corrected!

Something must have stuck because I wince and groan (just as he must have done) when I see all the glaring errors (many by me) on this site especially when they are made by qualified, professional people...

BUT

...any criticism of Funsters' spelling or grammar will just reduce the chances of people posting, especially if they are worried about making mistakes, when we should be doing the opposite and encouraging them to relate their experiences or ask for and offer help...

I believe the Darkside used to worry and comment on posters' bad spelling etc... :Sad:

I say Kick Spelling And Grammar Criticism Out Of Fun

Obviously right wing posts, anti Europe, homophobic, racist, sexist, anti Man City, anti tinned pies posts and the like are another matter and should be stamped on quickly and firmly... :winky:

Good (late) morning from sunny (again) Portugal...

JJ :Cool:

PS. My Spanish/Portuguese bank has not gone bust yet and is still giving me cash from machines in the wall... :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Craig

English wasn't invented and it's not a pure language such as Latin.. Down through the ages it has evolved and developed, for example, Elizabethan English .. quite different from modern English .. and so it will continue.

Another example is the Lowland Scottish language used by Rabbie Burns.. 'broad Scots' (Not to be confused with Scottish English or Scottish Gaelic. ) even most Lowland Scots will struggle to fully understand every word.. I'd be the first to admit it.

Even today, different regions have quite different words for the same thing... and so it will continue. Come back in a hundred years time and quite possibly 'English' will be unrecognisable.. innit

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We are all going to HAVE to face facts--the young with their must HAVE phones ,lead the way now of pronunciation in their text langauge--us oldies HAVE to follow :Eeek:
lol
:thumb:

I live where the English language is spoken, so, I speak, and write English. It is the uneducated ones that should face the facts, and learn to speak and write correct English.

Craig

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

My father use to send the letters I wrote to him from school back to me with the spelling and grammar corrected!

Something must have stuck because I wince and groan (just as he must have done) when I see all the glaring errors (many by me) on this site especially when they are made by qualified, professional people...

BUT

...any criticism of Funsters' spelling or grammar will just reduce the chances of people posting, especially if they are worried about making mistakes, when we should be doing the opposite and encouraging them to relate their experiences or ask for and offer help...

I believe the Darkside used to worry and comment on posters' bad spelling etc... :Sad:

Obviously right wing posts, anti Europe, homophobic, racist, sexist, anti Man City, anti tinned pies posts and the like are another matter and should be stamped on quickly and firmly... :winky:

PS. My Spanish/Portuguese bank has not gone bust yet and is still giving me cash from machines in the wall... :thumb:

I agree :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

BUT

Please! I am not ridiculing ANYONE on the forum about spelling, or grammar, etc; It was just an observation, and that I have heard the phrase many times, it was my son in law this morning saying, "I should of", that prompted this thread. Not any funsters!

Craig

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would 'have' thought [HI]we could keep the English language as it has always been[/HI], not sliding down to text speak.

Craig

Which point in time should we use as a reference for keeping the "English language as it has always been"?

Was it the "English" language from before William the Conqueror popped over to stay with us, or should it be the "English" language of Tudor times. Perhaps we should speak "English" as the Victorians did.

That's precisely why English cannot be "as it always has been" because it 'has always been" changing!

It evolves, it is a living thing, like all languages. Modern English has evolved from so many languages. Words develop and change with the times, as do the people.

Frequently here on FUN we talk of "Motorhomes", but should we not be actually talking of about our "Motor caravans" or perhaps our "Horseless carriage dwelling places"?

Every year many new words are added to the OED. Why, because English is alive and kicking, changing through time, and all the better for it in my humble opinion. :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I had a Somerset chap ,watching me one day trying to replace a lot of wires in the back of a tv, he said --
"Yer ,has all thiky thur lot , gotta goo een thur?":Eeek:
I do not expect that can be converted to txt speak !:thumb:

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
They are as bad here too!

When I was excavating a deep trench in Ramsey, some years ago, an old, local fellow said, "By Christ! You're down some height"!?????

Craig

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
They are as bad here too!

When I was excavating a deep trench in Ramsey, some years ago, an old, local fellow said, "By Christ! You're down some height"!?????

Craig
It is like the saying when a building is being demolished--
"They are raising it to the ground":Eeek: --- no , they are flattening it !:thumb:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Whats happened to

Also so called educated people on TV substituting words starting with TH with the letter F.
ie. free instead of three. I fink instead of I think. :Angry:

Mike.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Kindred Spirit

Craig

I could have started this post. Only this morning I was talking to my wife and son about this same topic. We all agreed that in speaking we tend to pronounce have like of but we all know the difference when it comes to writing it down in the right context. Texting takes me ages too as I like to make sure all spellings are correct.

You can call me old fashioned, I do not mind.

Rob:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Well I'm old-fashioned too and can't stand bad grammar. I'm always telling my granddaughters that people will form an opinion based upon the way they speak. It is always worth making the effort to speak properly.

I also hate 'guys' but like 'chaps'. I really hate this new thing where people on television will speak well but drop the double 't', as in si'ing instead of sitting; and what about litool instead of little? Grrrrrrr! I need to 'get a life'. Grrrrr! :ROFLMAO:

Ivy

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
the word 'Have'?

Rant over.

Craig

I didn't go to grammer school Secondary modern for me

Was in the c stream for all lessons
Read that as near dunces class level

Since then I have managed 43 years unbroken service
Gained city and guilds and a nvq in assessing
Bought and paid for our house
Mrs t never had to go to work in 38 years marriage
Two well adjusted kids
Both good jobs
One even has letters after her name

All with my poor knowledge of English language
Spelling and punctuation
And I apologise to no one for it
Sorry if I upset

my reports always said could do better

But I did better enough

Sorry rant over:thumb::thumb::Blush:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It is like the saying when a building is being demolished--
"[HI]They are raising it to the ground"[/HI]:Eeek: --- no , they are flattening it !:thumb:

The sentence is correct, just the spelling is wrong.

It should actually be.... "They are razing it to the ground".

This is another example of just bad spelling, raise and raze sound the same but basically mean almost the opposite.

Raze - (from middle English "rasen")

1. to tear down; demolish; level to the ground: to raze a row of old buildings.
2. to shave or scrape off.

Raise -

1. to move to a higher position; lift up; elevate: to raise one's hand; sleepy birds raising their heads and looking about.
2. to set upright: When the projection screen toppled, he quickly raised it again.
3. to cause to rise or stand up; rouse: The sound of the bugle raised him from his bed.
4. to build; erect: to raise a monument.
5. to set up the framework of: to raise a house.

So don't you just love the evolution of the English language.....:RollEyes:

p.p I do dislike when people use text speak in normal e-mails and letters etc. That is just out of order.......:winky:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The sentence is correct, just the spelling is wrong.

It should actually be.... "They are razing it to the ground".

This is another example of just bad spelling, raise and raze sound the same but basically mean almost the opposite. (snip)

That's an example of the type of thing I was referring to when I said that Jim had summed it up by saying "As long as the communication is effective".

If, say, someone was given a written instruction "I want you to raze xxxx" rather than "I want you to raise xxxx" it could cause a little difficulty :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always try to remind myself that there is little, if any, connection between "education" and "intelligence"...

Educated people are not necessarily intelligent and intelligent people don't always get educated...

Knowing stuff is completely different from being able to work stuff out... and feelings and sensitivity are more important than both...

However, like Ivy, I can't help myself from forming opinions about people I don't know based on these silly things... I wish I could cure myself of this weakness...

Obviously the above is merely my opinion... but in my mind my opinion IS fact... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not bad - good do better!

I didn't go to grammer school Secondary modern for me​

Was in the c stream for all lessons
Read that as near dunces class level​

Since then I have managed 43 years unbroken service
Gained city and guilds and a nvq in assessing
Bought and paid for our house
Mrs t never had to go to work in 38 years marriage
Two well adjusted kids
Both good jobs
One even has letters after her name​

All with my poor knowledge of English language
Spelling and punctuation
And I apologise to no one for it
Sorry if I upset​

my reports always said could do better​

But I did better enough​

Sorry rant over:thumb::thumb::Blush:​

9 out of 10 for you young man, Grammar not Grammer. :winky:

Rob

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I was quite confused when I became a member of FUN. I had to make lots of efforts to understand the different ways people had to speak , depending on various things as country, region, habits , text writing...etc....
I am very much precise in french ,whether I write it or speak it .
I was prepared to be a language teacher so I had to know every details of my own language.
Many times I had to ask things ...always in PM... as for me it was just a matter of knowledge, not judgement.
I think now , I can cope with most of the posts. Never mind spelling , or "of" instead of Have... I feel like I have learnt (=learned) a main language and all its dialects:Smile:.
I am very happy about it. No teacher could have taught me all the things I have learnt on here. Still learning though!!So if I send a PM to you asking ,why did you say this or that ... I would have thought this was the proper way to say it .... don't take me wrong ..... I am learning, again and again! (sometimes words I shouldn't:Blush: .... but who cares:roflmto:)

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back