Could crazy winds over turn MH ! (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Gusts of 60-70mph on site last night quite a few tents turned into kytes around us ! the MH was rocking like an iron maiden concert i was just wondering how fast the winds need to be to be a risk of turning MH over onto its side ?
with the rear air suspension the momentum built up a few times and i may take an anchor next time ! :Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Gusts of 60-70mph on site last night quite a few tents turned into kytes around us ! the MH was rocking like an iron maiden concert i was just wondering how fast the winds need to be to be a risk of turning MH over onto its side ?
with the rear air suspension the momentum built up a few times and i may take an anchor next time ! :Eeek:

Should be OK with them winds...

Gusts above that are possibly more of a problem, try and park as low as possible and near to a hedge to break the wind...

Different if you are driving in those sort of winds, especially on open roads and going over bridges.. :Sad:

Safe Travels.. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
50+mph winds can be a big problem to motorhomers in a number of ways. The most common damage is when stuff is blown and thrown at/into the van, chairs, tables, awnings, wheely bins etc I've seen a fair bit of cosmetic damage done by these things. Tress and falling branches do massive damage and I'm paranoid about being too close to them in windy weather.

If the wind is gusting over 40, I always park into the wind, no chance of being blown over and allows me to sleep. Park broadside and Im' awake with every big gust.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
They get it a bit worse in the USA :Eeek:

attachment.php

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that one could be exported to australia .every thing there is upside down .hee hee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We survived 80+mph winds at Praa Sands, Cornwall on January 3rd this year.
Was a bit hairy, I had to move the van 3 times in an attempt to find a bit of shelter.
A white van perched right up on the small cliff overlooking the bay also was unharmed.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Always park facing into the wind in the most sheltered spot and you shouldn't have any trouble.we m'homers are fortunate in having a very heavy lump of metal in the front to help anchor us down!:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
with Ezzie and me on board we will win

Add my weight and Ezzie (cannot comment on Sue) and we have some real weight in the RV..

Bit windy here in France to day.. had worse gust yesterday.. awning stood up to the winds.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back