Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Jersey c I
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi can anybody help,I have just taken delivery of my new m/h with a raised island bed to make the garage bigger to accomadate my scooter,decided too much hassle ,now going to put the scooter on a rack,any suggestions on which are the best type or model. Thanks

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Hello,
I had one made a few months ago by easy lifter this is the one I had http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.htm but there are a few types.
My advise is spend a lot of time making sure you can transport your scooter legally I.E rear axle and front axle and also make sure your not over your total weight.
Spending time now before you buy may save you a lot of money later.
I have just returned for a trip round northern France and Belgium and the roads in Belgium have proved to be a very good test.
Has a rough guide for every 100 kgs you put on your scooter support it will add 150kgs to your back axle and take off a little from your front axle.
Here are a few other supplies
http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorbike_scooter_carrier.html this website as a formula for checking but you nust go to the weight bridge before parting with your money.
The scooter supplier lent me a scooter to weight before I bought that helped.

www.pwsacc.co.uk/scooter-racks.htm is also another supplier

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the German scooter rack sitting in my garage with a custom alloy backbox that can also be fitted to it. Unfortunately I don't have the part that it slides into, that is attached to the motorhome as I use that for my towbar. This could easily be fabricated or if anyone has a German import most of them were fitted with the sliding mechanism, but the rack was removed before they left Germany.
The alloy checkerplate backbox cost a small fortune to have made and is very strong.
If anyone is interested PM me with a decent offer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Careful with scooter racks and payloads.
Many years ago I owned a Bucanneer motorhome and decided to fit a scooter rack to carry my lightweight scooter. Had the van weighed along with the rear axle capacity. I was pleased to have 170kgs to spare so the rack and scooter was only 115kgs. A few weeks later I was stopped at a weighbridge on the A1 and proud I was ok, not so lucky. I was way overloaded, the pendilum action caused more weight than the scooter/rack to transfer to the rear.
Received a caution but had to unload the bike before they would let me proceed. I now transport the bike on a crossover trailer, no worries about weight. Do a lot of calculating before rushing into any purchase. Good luck with whatever you choose.

OP
OP
J

Jersey joe

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Jersey c I
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Scooter rack

Thanks fo r all your replies,I am not very good with laden weight and unladen weight but I am learning,my van is A class Le Voyageur 850on a alco chassis.
The scooter is a 125 Honda Inova,so i should be alright.If not let me know.
Thanks again.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
One of the complicated things of motorhome ownership is weights and payloads.
If your scooter weighs 125kgs then as it sits on the rear it will lift the front of your van slightly, rather like a see-saw. This places more weight on the rear so your 125kgs could then become over 175kgs. If you fit a rack the weights could be much greater.
The see-saw effect on my van increased the scooter weight by over 40kgs. Best check your allowed weights at a weighbridge, don't rely on the manufacturers figures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back