Sat Nav, Ipad app or stand alone TomTom. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Need to replace 6-7 year old TomTom before trip to France at end of month.

TomTom app for Ipad is about £50 for Western European maps, I am guessing (not looked yet) that the cheapest stand alone device will be £150+

Does have anyone have any experience of the Apps, good or bad?

Also, are the Live services worth considering?

Thanks

Steve

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use copilot on my iPhone with the live service (UK only as it requires a data connection which i turn off abroad). You can just down load the european maps that you need with the european package. Very happy with it. The only issue I have had is the fact you cannot add POI files, however I have worked out a way to do this that seems to work. Not sure how it compares to the tomtom app.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Gadget Show did one of their hyper active, excited kid, in depth tests of just this and came to the conclusion the iPhone app had the edge. Watching it I'd say they came out equal.

Let's face it, a satnav and a smartphone are pretty much identical give or take the phone electrics.

Since Apple are mega big, making TomTom look tiddlers there is the possibility that the iPhone has better GPS components than TT.

One thing to check, is iPhone constantly phoning home to do this so will it cost a lot especially abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
tomtom Go Live 1005

Need to replace 6-7 year old TomTom before trip to France at end of month.

TomTom app for Ipad is about £50 for Western European maps, I am guessing (not looked yet) that the cheapest stand alone device will be £150+

Does have anyone have any experience of the Apps, good or bad?

Also, are the Live services worth considering?

Thanks

Steve

I have just purchased the Tomtom Go Live 1005 and it works well. I think the live services are much better than earlier offerings from Tomtom but how useful they are outside UK I am unsure and have no experience. The Live 1005 has an in-built SIM and does not require an external data source.

I considered the iPhone and iPad apps but decided it would be better to have a dedicated device as my experience of using an app on a previous phone was not without problems. When thinking of using the iPad, consider the security implications, vibration and heat build-up behind the windscreen when deciding.

After searching around, I was able to find the Tomtom at just over £200 delivered

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I use a knife and fork to eat with (I could use my hands with a ruler to help scoop stuff up)... I put my food on a plate (although I could use the side of an old Cornflakes packet) and I use a Tom Tom to guide me around the place...

When I want to make or receive calls, messages or emails I use the phone... I could also use the phone to spread peanut butter on my toast but I don't... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just been reading reviews on both TT and CoPilot apps, both not great.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have just purchased the Tomtom Go Live 1005 and it works well. I think the live services are much better than earlier offerings from Tomtom but how useful they are outside UK I am unsure and have no experience. The Live 1005 has an in-built SIM and does not require an external data source.

I considered the iPhone and iPad apps but decided it would be better to have a dedicated device as my experience of using an app on a previous phone was not without problems. When thinking of using the iPad, consider the security implications, vibration and heat build-up behind the windscreen when deciding.

After searching around, I was able to find the Tomtom at just over £200 delivered

Best deal seems to Be Halfords, £236 with £50 cash back, after jumping through a few hoops of course.

Cancel that, out of stock it seems.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I want to make or receive calls, messages or emails I use the phone... [HI]I could also use the phone to spread peanut butter on my toast but I don't..[/HI]. :ROFLMAO:

Have you no sense of adventure these days then? :roflmto::roflmto:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have the tom tom app on my iPhone.

I did not upgrade to the latest version 1.10 thankfully.

The version I have is excellent can use google search, navigate to a contact. Navigate to a photo.
I am really pleased with mine.
Once you downgrade to the latest version you cannot go back to the previous version.

Latest version has removed navigate to contacts unless you wish to share your contacts. Latest version has Facebook and twitter crap and unless you agree to share your personal data you cannot use the best features.

If you have a fully functional tom tom on your iPhone do not update to version 1.10 that would be a downgrade.

Now have to pay for speed cameras..

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Tom Tom app .....

TomTom app rules. If you are likely to go further afield (Croatia etc) get the whole Europe app. One payment enables you to install it on all your iPads and iPhones. Has very clever features such as goto photo etc

Note only works on 3G units (the wifi version does not have the gps chip)

They have given me new mapping updates FREE for the last 3 years :thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
TomTom app rules. If you are likely to go further afield (Croatia etc) get the whole Europe app. One payment enables you to install it on all your iPads and iPhones. Has very clever features such as goto photo etc

Note only works on 3G units (the wifi version does not have the gps chip)

They have given me new mapping updates FREE for the last 3 years :thumb:

I was wondering as I have a iphone and ipad whether I could buy one and use it on both.

Would I need to buy the iphone version though and just hit the x2 button when using ipad, or will the ipad version run on the iphone 4, anyone know?

Steve

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Steve, obviously you can get versions with less mapping, but there is only one version and it works on all your 3G iPads and iPhones on your account. (5 devices)

Another advantage is that users can also send in updates the map system (new bypass etc) through the app, these are checked and then offered as updates throughout the year. Ie continuously updated mapping.:Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use a knife and fork to eat with (I could use my hands with a ruler to help scoop stuff up)... I put my food on a plate (although I could use the side of an old Cornflakes packet) and I use a Tom Tom to guide me around the place...

When I want to make or receive calls, messages or emails I use the phone... I could also use the phone to spread peanut butter on my toast but I don't... :ROFLMAO:

I though Victor Meldrew and sarcasum was dead, but i`m glad to see it`s still here :thumb:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Steve, obviously you can get versions with less mapping, but there is only one version and it works on all your 3G iPads and iPhones on your account. (5 devices)

Another advantage is that users can also send in updates the map system (new bypass etc) through the app, these are checked and then offered as updates throughout the year. Ie continuously updated mapping.:Smile:

Thanks, can you input co-ordinates, looks like you could not on earlier releases from one of the reviews, can`t see it mentioned since.

Steve

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Yes u Can

Thanks, can you input co-ordinates, looks like you could not on earlier releases from one of the reviews, can`t see it mentioned since.

Steve

Yes you can input co-ordinates. One advantage of having app on Iphone is the ability to navigate on foot with a small hand held device. My wife went to Prague and easily found her way around the city without getting lost - that's a first!

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
TomTom Pic

Screen shot attached

Attachments

• Picture 276.png
    Picture 276.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 25

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I though Victor Meldrew and sarcasum was dead, but i`m glad to see it`s still here :thumb:

Just trying to state my case with humour in the style of this forum...

I hope the message got through...

Just in case it didn't...

When I want satellite navigation in my Wagon I use a sat nav...

When I want to make a call I use a phone...

I firmly believe that a machine that tries multi-tasking is like a "Jack of all Trades"...

Last edited:

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
I use the iPad Tom Tom and it is good. The problem for me is that the charge from the car is not enough to feed the unit to a sufficient level. So i have gone back to my Garmin

Mick

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
garmin

Have a look at this website, we have bought a few items from this company total upfront and reliable, prices are pretty good aswell.

We bought this GPS, hands free which works very well, we also bought life time map updates so we can upload new maps twice a year for life, think that was an extra £60.00 through Garmin.

Link Removed

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just trying to state my case with humour in the style of this forum...

I hope the message got through...

Just in case it didn't...

When I want satellite navigation in my Wagon I use a sat nav...

When I want to make a call I use a phone...

I firmly believe that a machine that tries multi-tasking is like a "Jack of all Trades"...

Taken the wrong way i belive---
i think your quote was funny and to the point ,and i think some sarcasum and Victor Meldrew are quite funny as in the style of this fun forum , i "never have a go" at anyone on a (fun) forum.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Taken the wrong way i belive---
i think your quote was funny and to the point ,and i think some sarcasum and Victor Meldrew are quite funny as in the style of this fun forum , i "never have a go" at anyone on a (fun) forum.

Oh Blast It... we are not going to have a fight... :)Rofl1:)

What else can I do in the (very) short breaks I allow myself from this mountain of tedious transcribing?...:winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Oh Blast It... we are not going to have a fight... :)Rofl1:)

What else can I do in the (very) short breaks I allow myself from this mountain of tedious transcribing?...:winky:

Come and join us JJ in Kids" Peppa Pig world" Southampton--60mph wind , rain, no pubs,and 3 little kids, wet--cold---hungry--flu- but hey, i have been told it`s fun :Eeek:
I fight like a girl JJ ,bring it on :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Come and join us JJ in Kids" Peppa Pig world" Southampton--60mph wind , rain, no pubs,and 3 little kids, wet--cold---hungry--flu- but hey, i have been told it`s fun :Eeek:
I fight like a girl JJ ,bring it on :thumb:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wish I was with you... I worry that all this sunshine might fade my net curtains...

I am not allowed to fight as I am a pacifist but I know "people" who are very good at it...

PS. Check out a nifty little internet thingy called something like "Stumble upon"... hours and hours of stimulating fun for all ages... (imo)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back