Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Finally made the decision to buy the Maxview dish & receiver after many hours research,i selected due to reviews, German engineering and a full UK spares back up.The receiver was selected so no compatability issues but mainly as same maker plus has a good inbuilt sat finder so one less box to have.

Installation was easy, the hardest part was selecting the location. I had an old StarTrek shaped Status fitted so removed that and used the cable hole to pass the new cable through (i have cleaned the mess that it left behind by the way).

All done in about 3 hours taking my time (a fitter wanted £150.00 to £180.00) and that includes siting the receiver and running the aerial cable to it.

In use for the first time near Leek in a known TV trouble spot within minutes i had 300+ channels of crystal clear TV, enough said.

This post is to benefit others and i will happily help if i can.

Cheers;

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 105

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I installed one in 2007 and had nothing but problems with it moving when windy .. and not a very high wind either... others say there's is ok ... all I can say is I wouldn't buy another.

a long thread here about my experience Link Removed

Be interesting to hear a report about how it performs when it's windy

Link Removed

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having fitted quite a few in the past all I can say is I shy away from them now, far too many problems crop up with them for my liking, moving in wind, crank handle falling off etc, etc, etc! I find the Camos crank up much more reliable but personally I'm soon to fit a fully automatic ISat unit to our camper, I'll let you know what its like in due course.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Having fitted quite a few in the past all I can say is I shy away from them now, far too many problems crop up with them for my liking, moving in wind, crank handle falling off etc, etc, etc! I find the Camos crank up much more reliable but personally I'm soon to fit a fully automatic ISat unit to our camper, I'll let you know what its like in due course.

D.

I wouldn't Dave, gave up on them straight away. The software means that you need almost double the area to install than you think and it virtually opens up onto its back for the 1st search sweep!

Also ask about spare LNB, not a universal one, and ask what plans are in place for future proofing the unit?

These were all things discussed with Miriad at Excell and ignored!

Also the instructions suggest that the thing can be easily removed by the customer and used as a table top device. When it can be unclipped and when the micro RF connector can be undone (doing it back up is much harder so don't try it!)

Regards

Eddie

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My Maxview has been faultless and does not move in the wind and has been left up in 30mph persistent blowing
Got all TV channels as far South as Morella this April. I was lucky to only pay £280 when Maplins were clearing them. They now only stock the new low profile model.
Parc Verger recently
Link Removed

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know that achieving the correct length of spindle the first go may be a problem for some and the only way to correct it is to disassemble and recut which means the star washer gets used more than once and so is weakened and can result in handles falling off. This is not a design fault its just a case of measure correctly and cut once. OR get a new star washer

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The new models are definitely an improvement aesthetically at least.
Link Removed

Be sure to haggle the price on old stock!

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I installed one in 2007 and had nothing but problems with it moving when windy .. and not a very high wind either... others say there's is ok ... all I can say is I wouldn't buy another.

a long thread here about my experience Link Removed

Be interesting to hear a report about how it performs when it's windy

Hi Jim,
sorry you have a duff one and you wont like it that when i did my research i found no complaints, it all seems to be about the correct fitment and shaft length. Your post is a good read and i do hope you get it sorted .
Cheers

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a great link to a pictorial fitting guide if anyone wants it? unfortunately the link wont work if I post it here so email me if you do.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

D.

Hi Dave,
i was going to buy the Camos as can be seen in other posts of mine but in was put off by inconsistant pricing on the web. I spoke to the owner of Roadpro but just gave up in the end.
The nail in the coffin was the simple fact that if the shape is so good then why are they the only people to use it, think SKY etc ?
Cheers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim,
sorry you have a duff one and you wont like it that when i did my research i found no complaints, it all seems to be about the correct fitment and shaft length. Your post is a good read and i do hope you get it sorted .
Cheers

Hi
I've long since sold the RV .. but the dish was never was sorted to my satisfaction..

We were full time and on a site when Maxview's main man came and visited and did a full inspection and couldn't fault the installation .. he never accepted there was an inherent design problem despite witnessing it happening.

He offered to exchange it with their pole version (can't recall the correct name) FOC, but I declined as it meant removing and patching the roof and cutting a new hole above a cupboard or wardrobe..

Anyways.. I hope yours works to your satisfaction .. it's a great dish in every other respect .. The only other issue I had was the LNB arm would occasional stick when raising the dish.. not a problem .. just be aware it can happen without you realising but wondering why you can't find a sat signal :roflmto: ... a drop of WD40 on the hinge pin sorts it out..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted the Maxview crank up to my last RV and initially got the spindle length wrong but once corrected it worked fine . :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Finally made the decision to buy the Maxview dish & receiver after many hours research,i selected due to reviews, German engineering and a full UK spares back up.The receiver was selected so no compatability issues but mainly as same maker plus has a good inbuilt sat finder so one less box to have.

Installation was easy, the hardest part was selecting the location. I had an old StarTrek shaped Status fitted so removed that and used the cable hole to pass the new cable through (i have cleaned the mess that it left behind by the way).

All done in about 3 hours taking my time (a fitter wanted £150.00 to £180.00) and that includes siting the receiver and running the aerial cable to it.

In use for the first time near Leek in a known TV trouble spot within minutes i had 300+ channels of crystal clear TV, enough said.

This post is to benefit others and i will happily help if i can.

Cheers;

Hi I have now fitted 3 of the Maxviews to different vans I have owned , and they work great as said previously can be a bit tempremental in windy conditions but if that is the case wind it down I have seen £1500 + auto seeking dishes flattened in heavy winds , and expensive dishes struggling to find a signal where with the Crank up far easier and less expensive , don't worry about it the dish is fine :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I wouldn't Dave, gave up on them straight away. The software means that you need almost double the area to install than you think and it virtually opens up onto its back for the 1st search sweep!

Also ask about spare LNB, not a universal one, and ask what plans are in place for future proofing the unit?

These were all things discussed with Miriad at Excell and ignored!

Also the instructions suggest that the thing can be easily removed by the customer and used as a table top device. When it can be unclipped and when the micro RF connector can be undone (doing it back up is much harder so don't try it!)

Regards

Eddie

Hi Eddie,
points noted but its already a done deal so I'll just have to see how it goes. Had a demo last week and it looked pretty good, didn't open up onto its back for first sweep, although being a cassegrain dish it will have to open further than an offset arm dish. I was told that spare LNBs are in stock. The plan is to have it on our camper and then at shows lift it off for display at the trailer, I did look at the micro coax connection and wondered how difficult that would be to disconnect/reconnect. Future proofing, I was told it is easily updated (unlike older Oyster units) time will tell.

D.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
We have the crankup. On the first installation we did have problems in the wind. In this latest installation we don't because the roof of the van is much sturdier

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Quote from Maxview's sales brochure

The updated replacement to the incredibly popular and successful Maxview Crank Up Systems,[HI] now featuring an improved braking mechanism to prevent movement in the wind.[/HI]

So.. they have improved it since I had problems in 2008 ...

Just found the email I received after the Maxview visit.. note he did admit I had an issue but wouldn't admit there was a design weakness.. also note it was difficult to align when it is windy .. other makes of crank ups do not suffer this problem to the same degree.
The day Maxview visited wasn't stormy, but breezy at about 22knots ..

I would also add, the problem of it moving in the wind has nothing to do with the square shaft being cut to the wrong length, nor a flexing roof... it is the design of the brake or lock that is poor.. a small toothed plastic pall engaging on an outer toothed ring held by a spring is all that keeps in in position.

I haven't seen the 'improved' brake mechanism so can't comment .. but glad to see they finally did admit there was a problem and have addressed it .. better late than never.

2008/11/14 Phillip Newbury <phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk>

Without Prejudice

Dear Mr *********,

Thank you for your sparing the time last Monday to allow me to inspect your Maxview B2590 Satellite System. I hope the weather has improved there somewhat since Monday!

We have investigated further your complaint of the brake system being inadequate on the B2590 and, after exhaustive laboratory and "on the road tests", we have not been able to find fault with the system or replicate your problem. I have contacted the other complainant from the Motorhome Fun website but have, as yet, had no response.

On inspection of your system you will recall [HI]the brake did slip very slightly (perhaps one notch) a couple of times, in the hour or so that it was on test. You will also recall that, at the time, the wind was of sufficient strength to make adjustment of the unit difficult. Our conclusion must remain that the B2590 does not have an inherent fault on its braking system.[/HI]

However, I appreciate that you are still concerned about the performance of your B2590 and I therefore propose that we exchange the system for an MXL001 Maxview Omnisat Winder System. If this is acceptable we would appreciate the return of the B2590 (minus the mounting plate), when convenient, in order that the system can be bench tested to establish any possible discrepancies.

I hope all the above meets with your approval and look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

Phil Newbury

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I fitted the Maxview crank up to my last RV and initially got the spindle length wrong but once corrected it worked fine . :thumb:

Now thats interesting as i cut the thing 32mm from the roof as stated then found it was about 12mm to short !!
I called them and complained and got another FOC next day and had to cut it wrongly in my view to get it right !

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now thats interesting as i cut the thing 32mm from the roof as stated then found it was about 12mm to short !!
I called them and complained and got another FOC next day and had to cut it wrongly in my view to get it right !

Forget how I cut it Paul but the handle would suddenly drop to the floor when on the road so I reduced the length slightly and had no further problems.
I had no problem as far as operation is concerned, perhaps never used it in high enough winds .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We had one fitted earlier this year. An initial problem was signs of water dripping down the metal shaft (rusty stain inside the dish elevating handle and on the central screw. To be fair, the fitter returned lightning fast once we spotted the problem, removed the satellite assembly, found some water had got in and re-sealed it, paying particular attention to the four fixing bolts on the metal base plate, and adding another ring of sealant around the hole in the roof. I've also added sealant around the roof fixings for the wire LNB travelling cradle.

We've been using the dish all this last week in some pretty horrible weather and so far we've seen no more dripping around the handle. Because it's not fixed to a crossbeam on the roof we get some flexing of the roof in strong winds, especially (as you might expect) if the dish is facing into the wind. This also makes the polystyrene roof insulation squeek. It hasn't affected the signal though. We're using a Maxview Freesat receiver and it does what it says on the tin.

One thing you won't need with a recent Maxview receiver is one of those horrible screeching LED light satfinder gizmos that you add between the dish and the receiver. Absolutely pointless given that the receiver's firmware includes a signal strength/quality display if you press the INFO button. I'm a bit annoyed that I wasted £25 buying one, so it's going on eBay soon.

My main concern with the installation is the dish had to be placed in a natural dip on the roof where water collects, and the weight is adding to that dip. When my van's in storage I like to keep the leisure battery topped up by the solar panel so I don't use a van cover. However, I may have to rethink that, given the cost of a new battery compared to the cost of fixing a leaky roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back