Help! A perfect MH? Possible? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Right then, here is a TALL order. I wonder if any of you experienced and well informed people might be able to help me please?

I do have a couple of other threads going that are a little more specific but to be honest I am drowning a little! (well a lot actually)

We are a middle aged couple intending to stop work and tour before we get old and stupid.

We want:

Fixed double bed
Garage
Two extra berths and belted seats for when the kidz (adult) visit
A really comfortable lounge for the two of us to slouch around in when required
Small as possible outside, big as possible inside (6mx2m ish)
Good on fuel
Reliable
Few 'fripperies'
no older than say 15 years max but new if we have to
Nice to drive and something to feel proud of

Phew! I said it was a tall order! but hey, if you don't ask and all that.........

We lived on a boat (sailing yacht) a few years ago so we are OK with small spaces etc, but we could see then that we had bought something that was too big most of the time. We actually always envied people in smaller, cheaper and more economic boats.......they always seemed to have more fun.

I guess my mantra is 'less is more'

Is it possible in a motorhome?

Any advice most welcome

Cheers

Chox

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You need to stretch to 7m to get that garage!

This might fit the bill! It has the belted seats and four berths in the lounge courtesy of a drop-down bed and a lounge which converts to a bed.:thumb:

http://www.chausson.tm.fr/uk-uk/profile/suite/garage/vid-106

The vid on this page shows how the drop down bed works-

Broken Link Removed

You will effectively need a 5/6 berth because I don't see your grown-up kids wanting to share!
You also need good fuel economy thus ruling out an overcab MH.

There are a few manufacturers who make similar layouts to these, but you won't beat a Chausson on specification at their price point.
The diesel heating saves on the hassle of exchanging gas bottles every 2 minutes and the insulation of the vans is fantastic. You will also score big water tanks, a big fridge/freezer and big beds!
There are other vans with similar specification, but figure on parting with at least 20% more cash on a similarly specced van from another manufacturer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We actually always envied people in smaller, cheaper and more economic boats.......they always seemed to have more fun.

Many years ago a wise old bloke told me "the amount of fun you have with a boat is inversely proportional to it's water line length!"

Has always been true in my opinion and equally applies to motorhomes.:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Niessman Bischoff Arto/Flair.

Niessman Bischoff Flair is the answer to all your dreams. We have an older style one and we have never been left wanting for anything.
We spent months touring in it with the kids, it has a rear garage which we installed a slim washing machine into as it has a shower plumbed in, so really easy to do. It still stores 4 bikes in there and all the other bits of kit we took, but never needed. Great heating system and fully winterised meant we spent all winter in the Alps skiing and were toasty. There is bags of room and bags of storage under floor.(skis etc) separate loo and shower too and the rear section closes off for privacy from the kids. We spent months researching and looking at MH's and this one ticked all of the boxes. Happy hunting! Hope this helps.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
You just described our motorhome!.Unfortunately it's not for sale. Only thing out is it is 6.86m long but you won't get everything you want in less methinks.We love ours and have just returned 33mpg overall after a 2500 mile trip.It has everything you need,is very well designed and a joy to drive.You may find one on Autotrader/e-bay or if you want the re-assurance of a three year warranty go to Lowdhams.:thumb:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think is also a dream

I'm happy to dream, but do you have any practical advice?

I also think it is a dream:winky:

Having owned motor homes for over 25 years I feel I have a good understanding of size v whatever.. having also owned 3 boats including one of the small ships (Dunkirk) I know large and small.

We have have a yank.. or as they are known .. an RV .. as soon as you say Winnebago everyones mind things big... well my Winnebago is 23'9" long... look at the red link below and let it load. So not all yanks are big... but we have plenty of room.. but no end / fixed bed.. you need to be looking at 27 to 29' for that with quad slides.. min has a single...

Fuel wise 15 to the gallon - petrol ... but a lot cheaper to buy than a European and far better equipped as well as standard.

But what one person likes another will not. And to ask such an open question will get the I dream remarks... you are best visiting dealers.. lots of them... do a few shows and look at other peoples motor homes... Visit the Rutland Water meet in July see American and European motor homes .. ask questions.. some will be for sale I am sure.. I know my one will be... getting a slightly bigger RV (Toy Hauler). Had this 3 years and time to change again.

Takes a few motor homes to find the right one... you said buy new? £30k to £60k that is the price range of most europeans.. that covers all sorts from A class to low profile to cab overs and even van conversions... you need to think a little more narrow then fire the questions off.. but to do that you do need to look at motor homes.. for a rough idea look on ebay.. look under motorhomes then do a look under American RV motorhomes and see some contrast to each type.

You face a long road. As with boats .. (one common factor .. they float) .. in Motor homes it is far far wider and more complicated.

Wish you luck with your dream.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .yes visit lots of dealers and m,home shows . but remember a good sales man sells you what you tell him you are looking for .not what you really need . some times want and need are two diferent things. make sure your wants and needs are exactly the same .
i like truck conversions . things like windscreens are a major problem if broken on many of the bigger a class vehicles . try to keep simple is the answer.
iveco daily as various conversions done on it .
man is a favourite with many german conversions .
unfortunately merc sprinters are to be avoided . rusty chassis and engines are a problem.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
To get what you want you need a self build ::bigsmile: that way you can build into your van what you want.If you cannot build it yourself there are quite a few small company's that will build what you want for you :thumb:To stay as short as possible I think one of the new type Fiat stable vans will offer you the best choice on layout simply because they are the widest vans on the market. Iveco's are the longest but also one of the narrowest :Sad: because I like Iveco's best ::bigsmile:You can buy a LWB HR FIAT FOR AROUND 15K ISH and get a good quality conversion done from around 8/10k ish or 15k ish with all the toys :thumb: so all in around 30k --- You can save a lot by buying a 3 yr old van but bare in mind it will cost the same to convert a older van as a newer van :winky:
BTW you will need to pay the tenner to become a full member as your free posts will soon run out-it will prove to be the best money you spend on any van whatever you choose :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a perfect MH......

Hi there,

I tend to agree there is no such thing as a perfect MH, but here is our experience:

we bought our first MH in 2006, a new Dethleffs overcab [6.3m] with a fixed large double over a large garage, as well as a very large overcab double. We figured that either the kids, grandkids or friends would join us. The MPG from the 2.8Jtd Fiat was around 25/26. The lounge [half dinette], the bathroom [swingwall shower] and the kitchen were all compromises. The reality was that in three years, we only had guests twice!

So in 2009 we switched to a Chausson Allegro 96, again new but low profile and within its 7.3m length, had a transverse bathroom at the rear [superb], an L-shaped kitchen with huge fridge freezer [also superb] and a much larger lounge, capable of seating 5 comfortably. It also had electrically adjustable single beds. The compromised areas were storage for large items [limited to under the beds really, only one of which had external access], length of the overhang, quality of construction [compared to the Dethleffs] and payload [around 300kg, not nearly enough for longterm touring for us]. On the plus side, this was a very comfortable and economical van [32 mpg], but it wasn't perfect for us.

So in late 2011, we px'd it for our currrent, older [2006] Hymer B544. It is not as economical as the Chausson, but the quality and thus durability of the Hymer is a bit like a Rolls compared to an Allegro [the car of that name, by coincidence].

So my advice would be pick the van which suits your needs best, and don't try to accommodate the potential needs of guests, and if you intend to travel long and far for years to come, pick quality over apparent luxury, and don't pass over older vans; the Hymer cost us the Chausson plus £10k, but they are light years apart in every respect.

Happy hunting!::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Globecar Globescout

Found it ::bigsmile: went for rear fixed bed with garage but decided to forego the 2 extra beds (does have facility for an extra single tho' and 2 if creative :winky:

Thanks everyone:Smile:

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
we will be very shortly selling our MH it is a Autotrail Chieftan with the end fixed bed and garage, a very well built mh. PM me if you want any further info on it.

regards
Andrea

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back