Google Latitude do you use it (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What a great application "Google Latitude" is, having a son living in the US I use it often, but found it amazing this week when my son moved house from Chicago to New York. He drove his car across so I was able to monitor his progress minute by minute throughout the thousand mile drive, tracking his mobile phone.:thumb:

Does anyone else use it to monitor friends and family while they are away travailing?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
tell us more

What a great application "Google Latitude" is, having a son living in the US I use it often, but found it amazing this week when my son moved house from Chicago to New York. He drove his car across so I was able to monitor his progress minute by minute throughout the thousand mile drive, tracking his mobile phone.:thumb:

Does anyone else use it to monitor friends and family while they are away travailing?

tell us more Buttons.. sounds interesting.

Bob

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
tell us more Buttons.. sounds interesting.

Bob
It is a great Google service, if you have a google account then just sign into Latitude. All totally free and great for tracking people who want to be tracked. You can link as many mobiles as you like and know where they all are. It is not quite real time but it will update every two or three minutes. If you want a street level view of the location then you have that two.
Would be great for your trip to France.

I did post some time ago that I had just arrived in Southend one morning and received a Skype call from my son in the US. He said Hi Dad what are you doing in Southend. Amazing and all totally free.:thumb: See link....Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
There is a similar APP that tracks in real time and is very accurate. It works from Android phone to Android phone or to a computer.

Quite superb.

http://www.greenalp.com/RealTimeTracker/

The APP is free and records upto 24hrs of mapping or pay 10euro per year for more features.

On your Android phone search: 'real time gps tracker' and install the one by Greenalp

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There is a similar APP that tracks in real time and is very accurate. It works from Android phone to Android phone or to a computer.

Quite superb.

The APP is free and records upto 24hrs of mapping or pay 10euro per year for more features.

On your Android phone search: 'real time gps tracker' and install the one by Greenalp
Thanks Greenalp I will give that a look. I have a superb Galaxy s2 and my son has the same so will give it a try....thanks:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quite superb.
Now got it set up on my phone, absolutely brilliant.....still trying to work out how to get it set up on my computer but will get there eventually. Couple of questions, do you have to have the application turned on to be monitored or will it track you in stand-by mode as the battery usage could be a problem when left on. Does it track Iphones :thumb:

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

:Eeek:have a back2u fitted 4 price of a text i can call my van any time day/night 24/7 latitude and longtitude it has other safety devices u can activate,micraphone,panic button/movement sensors,it will text u if moved out of geo fence,u can also stop the engine fuel system via tx
i have a device fitted 2 my cat cut it amd my my alarms activate/if cover removed it will activate my alarms,speed sensor / movemen sensorst:thumb:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Now got it set up on my phone, absolutely brilliant.....still trying to work out how to get it set up on my computer but will get there eventually. Couple of questions, do you have to have the application turned on to be monitored or will it track you in stand-by mode as the battery usage could be a problem when left on. Does it track Iphones :thumb:

There's nothing really to setup on your PC, simply use the APP installed on your Android phone to invite or share the URL. Clicking the link that's emailed to you gives you live tracking - quite fascinating ::bigsmile:

The software has to be active on your Android. There are two tracking methods:

1. Using the GPS in your phone - very accurate but gobbles batteries.
2. Using the phone network - just provides a general location but less strain on the battery.

You can overcome battery problems by connecting to an external power source - I purchased a New Trent rechargable battery:
Link Removed

Mine is the larger version 11,000mAh and cost a little more.

I don't think the software author has produced the code for the iPhone.

Good in't it ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There's nothing really to setup on your PC, simply use the APP installed on your Android phone to invite or share the URL. Clicking the link that's emailed to you gives you live tracking - quite fascinating ::bigsmile:
The software has to be active on your Android. There are two tracking methods:
1. Using the GPS in your phone - very accurate but gobbles batteries.
2. Using the phone network - just provides a general location but less strain on the battery.
You can overcome battery problems by connecting to an external power source - I purchased a New Trent rechargable battery:
Link Removed
Mine is the larger version 11,000mAh and cost a little more.
I don't think the software author has produced the code for the iPhone.
Good in't it ::bigsmile:
Thanks on all counts StitchUp I'll give it a bit of thought tonight. Yes it is very good. Must keep it away from my partner:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back