Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
my van only has a gas hob [no grill] so i am looking to buy a couple of low wattage elec items to suppliment when i am on ehu. i have come across a 600 watt microwave and a 800 watt toaster and 900watt kettle they are all described as being suitable for camping etc . what concerns me, is that they may be ok for use on uk sites with 10 amp but the last time i was in france some of the ehus were only 6amp, [infact i think some sites here knock their supply down to stop people running heaters !] so would these wattages be ok on 6amp, can i only use one at a time? is there a max watt formula ? thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Divide the watts by the voltage (230) to give the amps..

for example.. an 800watt appliance will draw 3.5amps

or to keep it simple and as a rule of thumb, every 100watts draws ~ 0.5amp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The one item that you need to watch is the microwave...
Generally they take a larger current on start up, between an extra 50 -100%.
So a 600w may draw 900 - 1200 watts at start... This is usually fine and hence why you see 500 and 600 watt advertised as camping..

Whenever possible aim to be as close to 1000w per appliance as possible and you will be ok..
Worse case is you can run one at a time if you have low amps...

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
thanks guys i now need to break it to my other half that her super turbo hair dryer wont be coming away with us [i better put my tin hat on !!!!!]

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
PLEASE.... Dont start the hair dryer debate again,,,:Doh:

ps.. you can get some low wattage ones, just to keep the peace:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PLEASE.... Dont start the hair dryer debate again,,,:Doh:

ps.. you can get some low wattage ones, just to keep the peace:thumb:

true, but 4 hours of hair drying can be a tad tiring !! ( I speak from bitter experience.. Woman has one hell of a mop of long, VERY thick hair :Doh: )

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
true, but 4 hours of hair drying can be a tad tiring !! ( I speak from bitter experience.. Woman has one hell of a mop of long, VERY thick hair :Doh: )
Wahl-Super-Taper-Clipper.jpg

Broken Link Removed

mr moo

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
VW van conversion
Exp
on & off for some time!
our ehu are 16 amp, but we do have problems, especially when the wether is cold / wet / horrid with people tripping fuses, main prob seems to be with water heaters / kettle / microwave being turned on at the same time. Have put up sign showing how many amps / watts are used by electrical appliancies so MH & caravanners can have a quick read whilst using the loo :Cool: nothing worse that going out in the rain reseting fuses & then trying to locate the source of the problem. a great question by the way, wish more people would ask.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
our ehu are 16 amp, but we do have problems, especially when the wether is cold / wet / horrid with people tripping fuses, main prob seems to be with water heaters / kettle / microwave being turned on at the same time. Have put up sign showing how many amps / watts are used by electrical appliancies so MH & caravanners can have a quick read whilst using the loo :Cool: nothing worse that going out in the rain reseting fuses & then trying to locate the source of the problem. a great question by the way, wish more people would ask.

That was a problem I solved by installing an Owl power monitor.. it has an alarm which you can set to suit the available power... (on a 16A EHU I would set it to 3kw , that gives a bit of slack )... once installed, no more trips to the fuhrers bunker at silly o'clock ..

there are other makes, all easy to fit and they don't require any electrical wiring as the transmitter sensor clips around the incoming live or neutral .. from about £30

owl-wireless-electricity-monitor.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back