Caxton Pre-Paid Card vs Halifax Clarity Credit Card (1 Viewer)

What method do you use to fund the majority of your foreign spending?

• Caxton Pre-Paid Card

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Other Pre-Paid Card

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Halifax Clarity Credit Card

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other Credit Card

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Cash Only

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've just done some maths and worked out that if we had used a Caxton card over our Halifax Clarity Credit Card while we spent a year touring Europe, we would have been over £200 worse off.

I personally much prefer the convenience of a Credit Card - no 'topping up', 59 days interest free on purchases and protection under the CCA which Pre-Paid cards typically don't provide.

What do you guys use for foreign spending?

I've written a blog post comparing my thoughts on the Halifax Clarity to the Caxton Card here:
http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/halifax-clarity-vs-caxton-we-saved-over.html

All the best :)

Adam

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
caxton does what it says on the tin

Caxton does what it says on the tin.. great for automated fuel pumps at night in France.. no charges to get cash out or use as a credit card.. master card based... can load by phone, text and transfer.

Very useful tool

Bob:Blush:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Adam and Sophie's useful web site

Off thread, but just had to say Adam, what a fabulous website you and Sophie have.
Exactly what I have been looking for whilst planning the 'Grand European Tour' .

Thank you,

Lorraine x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are in the middle of a four week RV trip in the US and if it were not for my Caxton dollar card I would have been arrested by now
I have a Lloyd's Premier debit card and a Lloyd's Advance credit card both of which are very healthy but both have twice been declined over here :Angry:
So for me the Caxton is better even if it may cost a bit more:thumb:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Caxton cards? Dollar, Europe and/or Global. Do you need all three or is global the one to go for?

Thanks

OP
OP
Addie

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Caxton cards? Dollar, Europe and/or Global. Do you need all three or is global the one to go for?

Thanks

It depends on where you intend to go.

The Dollar / Europe cards the currency is converted at the point of loading (minus a circa 2% loaded rate). So you add £100 and get €120 in your credit balance. If you then was to pop over the border to Denmark and in Danish Krone you would be charged a further 2.75%. Suddenly things start getting expensive.

The Global card the balance is held in £ sterling and only converted at the point of purchase wherever you are in the world, at a 2.75% loaded rate.

We had both a Euro and a Global for backup, but much preferred the Halifax Clarity as the rate was over 2% better, all purchases were insured and we didn't have to load or think about the credit balance once. Even withdrawing cash which incures interest only worked out at 1.1% fee vs Caxtons 2%. :thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
My five days in France the other weekend with Halifax Clarity cost me 18p in interest charges. That after spending a total of around £500 [did a lot of shopping!] all at bank, not tourist, exchange rate - 1.25 to the pound rather than 1.20 roughly. No cash withdrawal charges, just interest charged from point of withdrawal - paying off on return left me with the 18p interest charge!

PS - those of you who are using 'cash' - where do you get it? Unless you have a euro account somewhere you must be exchanging £s for Euros somehow? Sorry to bang on, but I hate paying for my own money and with Clarity card feel I've finally cracked the code...

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
best thing i found when in the states was to open a bank account i still have it open for when i go back next year :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I use the nationwide select credit card for fuel,grocery,meals etc, and take sterling cash to change as and when only cash is excepted. The card has no charges and the exchange rate is good. Occasional have used my debit card to get cash but only in an emergency.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back