Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Here we go again!! As some of you can remember I posted a thread a few weeks ago about our adventures of nearly being scammed in "gambler or just stupid...".

My latest idea is that I am looking at a motorhome which has the aluminium "bubbling" off the ply internal walls. Apparently the MH was left in a hot country and it is an effect all over the MH (not localised).

How easy/ expensive would it be to actually get the skin taken off and re-done? I know about possibility of leakages but this MH has a habitation check and leak test (passed) so am thinking that the owners might be telling the truth. Please give me your thoughts.:help:

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
In simple language.... BLODDY EXPENSIVE and the van will be tainted for life, dont bother

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you think that this will cause problems if left or should it be ok? Or am I better playing safe and going for a "normal" MH. It is a Manhattan 2 berth with slide out- not bad for first motorholme. Also are there any issues with slide outs that I should know about?

Thanks

Sascha

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Mate! slide out or no slide out, if it's all over, you'd be better walking away!

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just had a look at the pics,this is some serious delamination, I dont belive a word of the Portugal story,this thing was built in the USA for the great western deserts
de-lamination in yanks is common, sometimes harmless, mostly as a result of water ingress around window frames, but that thing resembles an empty crisp packet.It may look better in real life but I wouldnt travel to confirm that
You can do better
The whole point of a motorhome is to enjoy it, not spending your life explaining whats happened to it
Geo

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJBQE-cO4pOLGBPuP3GU4)w~~60_14.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJBQE-cO4pOLGBPuP3GU4)w~~60_14.JPG
    816 bytes · Views: 140
  • $(KGrHqVHJ!0E-bN+NOOmBPuPzOtpb!~~60_14.JPG
    $(KGrHqVHJ!0E-bN+NOOmBPuPzOtpb!~~60_14.JPG
    814 bytes · Views: 138
Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
my guess about the panels isBroken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That'l teach me to look closer its not a yank is it?? the name and the slide threw me googley
Still 10 foot barge poles spring to mind
Geo

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont waste your money, it will cost more to repair than its worth

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Thanks a lot peoples, being new to MHing is not easy. I suppose I should be looking at this the same way as looking at a new house rather than just another car.

I have binned that one and will continue my search

Thanks again

:thanks::thanks:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi SaschandGin,you are doing the right thing :thumb:I bought a wet van knowing full well I was going to rip it all out and redo it.I looked at the roof seams that I could see needed resealing or so I thought.:Doh:Cut a long story short we ended up putting a new roof on -cost about 350 quid in total -8 ft x 4ft ali sheets at the time were £50 each x 5 = 250 plus glue and new trims and 2 days work for two of us.ROOF plus 4 sides = 350 x 5 =1750 assuming ali at 50 quid a sheet which will have doubled easy
terry

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry i replaced the clear fibreglass roof on my truck only a few years ago. 20ft x 7ft6ins .cost $175.65 .still have a big off cut . . i thought about doing it in ally but the truck builders put me off .seems the fibreglas is better at stopping the heat come through . . must say when reskinning trucks i use plastic covered steel that comes from one of the roof sheet makers . 10ft x 4ft 3ins for about 35 quid . you can leave it in one of their various colours or it takes two pack a treat. the plastic as that wrinkled caravan type finish looks great.
actually i just fibbed .they are 9ft 10ins x 4 ft. try a google on cladco .okehampton . flip down to price list and down to flat sheets 36quid now . must be someone near you that does similar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Alan mate does vinyl graphics / signs and he get them :thumb: When I did the roof on the old van I got 1.5 mm ali with one side painted white (£15 extra for white) and we bent it over the top edges so that it would drain down the sides instead of relying on a seal to stop it leaking ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this roof sheet stuff is really nice did a mates box last year .other than a few lines of rivets ity looked like a new box . didnt need painting in the end .
it was an ex prison cell box .someone had removed the cell windows and made a right mess , we skinned over it.
i used some on mine 12 years ago when i altered the rear doors from being full height. its very easy to work with. cut with a nibbler so no sharp edges .
two of us changed my roof with the clear fibreglass roll in less than a day . it fixes with sikaflex and a edge of u shaped ally that rivets through to the outer frame . easy contsruction. as to be truck body lads have to repair and fix them fast as off road time is money.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back