Croatia (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Deep in Croatia and a month away from home, I finally needed to fill the Gaslow today.
Drove onto a forecourt and was just just preparing to hook up when the guy strode across from the pay office. Slight twinge of apprehension on my part and then he grasped the hose, plugged it in, smiled and said 'fill up'? 60p a litre. Result. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

On another topic - sliced bacon seems to be non-existent but whole pieces of smoked streaky which you can slice yourself are about £8 per kg and way better than any 'dry cured' in the UK and then some. Not all good though. Not a single fresh chilli in evidence in Slovenia, Croatia or Bosnia, so far.

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
Deep in Croatia and a month away from home, I finally needed to fill the Gaslow today.
Drove onto a forecourt and was just just preparing to hook up when the guy strode across from the pay office. Slight twinge of apprehension on my part and then he grasped the hose, plugged it in, smiled and said 'fill up'? 60p a litre. Result. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

On another topic - sliced bacon seems to be non-existent but whole pieces of smoked streaky which you can slice yourself are about £8 per kg and way better than any 'dry cured' in the UK and then some. Not all good though. Not a single fresh chilli in evidence in Slovenia, Croatia or Bosnia, so far.

only been to Croatia on package but one of cleanest and unspoiled places I have been to, can't wait to go back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We are heading to Croatia for 11 weeks on 30th July.
Is Gaslow failry common and easy to find out there? Not anticipating having to fill up too much.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Impressed.

Will you give us a bit of a write up of the route and how it went.

I'll post up in more detail asap. All going well. Bosnia a bit of a cheat. Can't get insurance so took a day trip up to Mostar. Thought there'd be chillies in the Turkish Bazaar! Very interesting, though. Still evidence of war damage, as there is at Srebreno nr Dubrovnik where we are right now.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We are heading to Croatia for 11 weeks on 30th July.
Is Gaslow failry common and easy to find out there? Not anticipating having to fill up too much.

LPG seems to be pretty available, though by no means every filling station. You need the large bowl shaped adapter.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Been there three times, love the place, did you get to Plitvic Lakes? (sp), anyway, have fun the rest of the trip,.......oh, and ive seen them repair tyres, that in this country would have been binned:thumb:::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'll post up in more detail asap. All going well. Bosnia a bit of a cheat. Can't get insurance so took a day trip up to Mostar. Thought there'd be chillies in the Turkish Bazaar! Very interesting, though. Still evidence of war damage, as there is at Srebreno nr Dubrovnik where we are right now.

Is that abandoned hotel still standing in Srebreno?

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
thinking of going to croatia in august.. any info greatly received, are there aires like in france?if so how much etc we have been motorhoming to france for past 5 years and need a new challenge!!
:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'll post up in more detail asap.

There's no hurry, it will wait 'till you get back, unless we get a post "I need to go NOW".

Croatia is using Eurosport bike coverage for advertising, it don't half look good.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thinking of going to croatia in august.. any info greatly received, are there aires like in france?if so how much etc we have been motorhoming to france for past 5 years and need a new challenge!!

On a more modest scale you have Italy. The style and architecture are agreeably different to France.

Don't overlook Germany, it's on way to Italy. The Rhine and Moselle are magnificent. Switzerlan is not to be missed, also a good route to Italy.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Is that abandoned hotel still standing in Srebreno?

Yes and quite a few others around the neighbouring bays and coves. The really nice woman whose campsite we are on said that most of the houses round here were at least 50% destroyed if not completely razed. The larger stuff like the hotel complexes are pretty comprehensively trashed and awaiting demolition or refurb. Virtually all of the people were forced to flee, first to Dubrovnik and then further afield once the Montenegran Serbs, Bosnian Serbs and Serb Serbs broke their undertaking not to attack Unesco listed old Dubrovnik.
The croatians have done a great job in rebuilding but the scars, mental and physical, still remain. ll in all they seem pretty positive. Hope entry to the EU next year doesn't precipitate a Portugal style situation where prices doubled over night but wages stayed he same.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

No, no aires or anything like. It is illegal to stay anywhere but an official campsite here but that can include a restaurant carpark, if you have a meal and ask nicely! Haven't done this ourselves but met a couple of guys who had. It's the case that the police can ask to see your receipts for overnight stops to prove you haven't wild camped. Doubt it happens often but I wouldn't want to argue with a Croatian cop. Theres a limited number of ACSI sites and others which I believe accept camping cheques. There are 'Auto Kamps' everywhere and the standard and price varies greatly. Some expensive even now before high season. £25-£30+. Others no more than £10-£12.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Been there three times, love the place, did you get to Plitvic Lakes? (sp), anyway, have fun the rest of the trip,.......oh, and ive seen them repair tyres, that in this country would have been binned:thumb:::bigsmile:

Yes, we did go to the Plitvice Lakes. Spectacular but we did have to wait two days for the rain to stop and the sun to come out before trekking off for the day. Mind you, the waterfalls were in full flow after the rain. There is a very similar area of lakes and waterfalls in the Krka Valley, further south towards Split/Dubrovnik but we didn't stop there. Maybe on the way home.

Btw can recommend at least a few days in Slovenia not just Lake Bled, Ljubjiana and a quick whip through.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Yes, we did go to the Plitvice Lakes. Spectacular but we did have to wait two days for the rain to stop and the sun to come out before trekking off for the day. Mind you, the waterfalls were in full flow after the rain. There is a very similar area of lakes and waterfalls in the Krka Valley, further south towards Split/Dubrovnik but we didn't stop there. Maybe on the way home.

Btw can recommend at least a few days in Slovenia not just Lake Bled, Ljubjiana and a quick whip through.

Hi Did you find a camp near the lakes, the ones in the ACSI guides look some way off? I visited Croatia for the first time last year and found it very good and I am just looking at other area's to visit this September. It's interesting looking at you comments.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have done Croatia for the past two years and setting off again for a month on 20th July. We are not very adventurous and stay in Istria. We love it, moving every 5 or 6 days to another site. It gets pretty crowded in the height of the season but never had any problems finding a site. Friendly people, reasonable prices and fuel is cheap. We travel via the tunnel (tesco vouchers) ang do a slow route down through Germany staying a couple of days in Bavaria before going through Austria. Tolls in Austria are pretty steep, especially as we are over 3500kg, but well worth it. I don't fancy the non motorway mountain routes.

Hope you have a great time and I look forward to reading your reports.

Audrey & Derek

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Hi Did you find a camp near the lakes, the ones in the ACSI guides look some way off? I visited Croatia for the first time last year and found it very good and I am just looking at other area's to visit this September. It's interesting looking at you comments.

When we went to the Plitvice Lakes it was raining quite a bit and we had to wait three days for it to clear enough to make the 4-5 hour circular walk necessary to see the upper and lower areas in one go. There are two entrances to the National Park, rather imaginatively, called No.1 and No.2 gate! The NP runs two campsites, each a few km from either gate. Camp< Korana> is nearer Gate 1 and Camp< Borje> for Gate 2. Korana is nearer Gate 1 than Borje is from Gate 2 but it is not really an issue. We stayed at both. One night at Korana and two nights at Borje. You can start your day at either gate and make the upper and lower walk circuit from either. There is a roadtrain and boat component at strategic points. There are a number of signposted circular routes to follow which take you to more or less of the Park, to suit you. We did 'H', I think, with a bit of a diversion on to 'J' to include the top of the really big waterfall. Very stiff final climb and prepare to get wet! Although Korana is much bigger than Borje, we preferred the latter. We were able to pitch near the shower blocks (where the wifi aerial is sited) and we didn't really want the bar restaurant which was probably better at Korana. Both are in the main ACSI guide but not the Camping Card list. We were there in May so the prices were a bit lower. You can get a two day ticket for the park which is less than twice the one day admission if you want to split things up.

Alternatively, if you drive a couple of km down the road from Borje you will enter a small town. As you enter you will see a restaurant on the left with a wood fire in the front window. They cook whole pigs on this (quite common in Croatia). We met up with a couple of English guys a few days after our Plitvice stay and they said that they had rolled up to this restaurant for a meal and asked if they could park overnight. No problem. They ended up having dinner and breakfast there for two nights and the restaurateur didn't charge for the stay because of the money they spent on food and wine!

Could be worth a try.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We have done Croatia for the past two years and setting off again for a month on 20th July. We are not very adventurous and stay in Istria. We love it, moving every 5 or 6 days to another site. It gets pretty crowded in the height of the season but never had any problems finding a site. Friendly people, reasonable prices and fuel is cheap. We travel via the tunnel (tesco vouchers) ang do a slow route down through Germany staying a couple of days in Bavaria before going through Austria. Tolls in Austria are pretty steep, especially as we are over 3500kg, but well worth it. I don't fancy the non motorway mountain routes.

Hope you have a great time and I look forward to reading your reports.

Audrey & Derek

We haven't actually done Istria yet or the Istrian bit of Slovenia. Saving that for the return and then turn left for Trieste and Venice. All I can say is that we have loved the journey down. The old Venetian port towns of Trogir, old Split, Hvar on Hvar island, Korcula and Dubrovnik and just the 'nowhere' beachside spots in between. Though Route 8 does cling to the coast and soar way up above the sea in many places giving spectacular views but no access. We like to keep on the move or rather, we haven't really cracked how to just chill for more than a couple of days or so. The road goes on forever, just one more bend before nightfall.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Tony

Many thanks for the information on the camps and the walks, I have now printed it off and will add it to my list of information for the trip.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mike

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'd love to visit Croatia again. Took my kids there (package holiday) in 1985. First time I'd taken the kids abroad and just me on my own. My parents were convinced we'd all be kidnapped! Visited Plitvice Lakes, stunning. we stayed at Zadar.

Maybe next year......

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
ah, so thats where the plitvice lakes are, only seen pictures up to now, looks staggeringly beautiful there, but maybe not accessible for the disabled i guess..:Sad:

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
ah, so thats where the plitvice lakes are, only seen pictures up to now, looks staggeringly beautiful there, but maybe not accessible for the disabled i guess..:Sad:

I would suggest looking at the National Park website or Wiki but I think a lot of the route we took round the lakes would have been stiff in a wheelchair, even with a fit pusher!:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back