Hello all, and boy do I need your help (1 Viewer)

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Reg Moule, retired firefighter, Started motorhoming 20 yeras ago with a clapped out Transit, used it for ferrying my off road bike about for trail riding, retired 12 years ago bought a Carthago Alkoven and had a gap year on my pension, had to come home due to family probs, used Carthago to earn a few quid while working for the BBC on OB sites around the country, Casualty, One person & its dog, Rugby at twickers Footie all over the Uk Horse racing at everywhere, Bowls at Llanelli etc. We bought a little Swift sundance last year and enjoyed the re introduction to Camper vanning but needed a bigger living area , so that was sold and I got really lucky and got a Hymer Camp Sport 66, only to find it doesn't exist, according to all the Hymer Guru's I have asked, even Hymer do not list it, so if anyone knows any different I am all ears, only blot on the Hymer is all the veneer is falling off the cupboard surfaces, again any hel would be greatly appreciated. Thats it for now will no doubt be posting again with updates. let the fun begin!::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Reg and welcome to fun :welcomefunster:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
well they do this model

could you have a wrong digit somewhere

Welcome to fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Reg Moule, retired firefighter, Started motorhoming 20 yeras ago with a clapped out Transit, used it for ferrying my off road bike about for trail riding, retired 12 years ago bought a Carthago Alkoven and had a gap year on my pension, had to come home due to family probs, used Carthago to earn a few quid while working for the BBC on OB sites around the country, Casualty, One person & its dog, Rugby at twickers Footie all over the Uk Horse racing at everywhere, Bowls at Llanelli etc. We bought a little Swift sundance last year and enjoyed the re introduction to Camper vanning but needed a bigger living area , so that was sold and I got really lucky and got a Hymer Camp Sport 66, only to find it doesn't exist, according to all the Hymer Guru's I have asked, even Hymer do not list it, so if anyone knows any different I am all ears, only blot on the Hymer is all the veneer is falling off the cupboard surfaces, again any hel would be greatly appreciated. Thats it for now will no doubt be posting again with updates. let the fun begin!::bigsmile:
Hello Reg...........from a fellow retired Fireman. Welcome to FUN. :Smile:

I have found a Hymer Camp 64, and a 65, but not a Sport 66. Hymer Camp Images

Our Hymer E690 suffered some de-lamination of the vanity unity door, which has a Rosewood effect veneer. Taking the door with me, I hunted around for ages looking for a replacement covering, after learning about the extortionate price Hymer were asking, to replace the unit door.
In the end, I went into B & Q, and bought some "Rosewood" laminate paper on a roll, and spent some time recovering the door and the upper and lower panels.
Even if I say so myself, it is very hard to be able to tell the difference between the old, and the new. The laminate paper matched up a treat. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
S

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Thanks Comrade

Cheers Jock & Carol, thats what I need someone who has experienced the problem and sorted it, being ex firefighters we will always find a remedy to anything eh? This van was a real find, 1991 on a Fiat Ducato chassis 2.5TD and ONLY 20,000 miles on the clock!!!! Paid very little money for it and drove it 200 miles home @ 70 mph and it didn't miss a beat, although the tail pipe fell off right outside the house!! I have ordered a Stainless system for it and it is having the cam belt changed for peace of mind. The owners kindly had the oil & filter changed as I was driving such a long way home, it had only done 350 miles in the last 5 years, hasn't had its second major service yet as the service record was kept up to date. If I was more intelligent I would attach a picture???????:thumb:

OP
OP
S

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Its this body with the B660 interior, the one with the rear L shaped lounge thats doubles as a bed, thats the reason for purchase, we can laeve this made up and separate with en suite facilities. Thanks for your help sorting this conundrum out. BTW its a RHD, thats probably why its a mystery?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Cheers Jock & Carol,
I've just had a quick peek at the person still in my bed Reg, and if Carol was there, she's not there now. However, the lovely Rita is quietly slumbering away. For a minute there, I thought my luck might have changed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your MH sounds like it will last you for some years to come. Body spares may become scarce, but as you know Reg, the qualities of a good Firefighter included initiative, and resourcefulness, amongst many others. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. Was Carol a stunner by any chance? :roflmto:

OP
OP
S

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Ooooooooooops!

My apologies to the lovely Rita, its an age thing! Typical firefighter, only get half of it right! Carol was the station cook, thats why my BMI was the same as Mike Tysons!!!!!!!!

Agree with the qualities of Oh Please!, but you missed out cunning, treachery and skulduggery from the list of attributes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As you have done this job before if I get crossed threaded with it would you mind having a look at it? The laminating is what I am referring to. I am over towards Wales 28 miles west of Birmingham, so its not far to come to you.:Smile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Agree with the qualities of Oh Please!, but you missed out cunning, treachery and skulduggery from the list of attributes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I just didn't want to give too much away Reg. You know what these tax paying do gooders are like. Any old bone to gnaw on, eh? :winky:

As you have done this job before if I get crossed threaded with it would you mind having a look at it? The laminating is what I am referring to. I am over towards Wales 28 miles west of Birmingham, so its not far to come to you.:Smile:
I'll PM you our current location for the next day or two, as we are heading up to Scotland thereafter, to visit my elderly mother.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Skiing and welcome :thumb:If the doors are the solid wood frame and ply inserts (old hymers had this type a lot) you can buy 7ft x 4 ft x 3mm ply (one eigth of inch ::bigsmile:) for around £16 per sheet-dead easy job to cut out the door centres and replace/stick in the new finished face ply :thumb:
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/wallboards-reference-page-please-ring-for-availability-30-c.asp
OK so 22 quid on web :winky: easy to sand the solid wood frame and apply new varnish then you have as good as new.If you don't see the colour match you can always go for a contrast to the outer frames that way it looks like it is meant to be rather than a bodge.::bigsmile:
terry
Perhaps a pic or 2 of the doors may prove more advantageous for a better solution :thumb:

OP
OP
S

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Pics

Thanks for the advice Terry, Reg

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome, now you need to Link Removed << here to get all the benefits of being a Funster:thumb:

If by chance the venneer is a stick on, a hot iron and brown paper sometimes does the job by ironing it back on.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Reg, looking at the pics they may be solid doors -pic of inside?-if so it is just a case of sand down and varnish-I have seen loads of old hymers with tired interiors
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Does not look thick enough for veneer to me, looks like the varnish has bloomed off from a previous damp problem to me in which case a simple rub down and revarnish should do it

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Reg I don't know if you can spray paint ? but if you can do a search on ebay for french polish :thumb: do not use the new water based varnish it is crap
terry

OP
OP
S

skiing

Free Member
Jun 1, 2012
Bewdley
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 66
Exp
Doors, and not the Group

Hi to all you interested parties, Mrs Reg & I have been busy in the Hymer today, we decided what ever is wrong with the "covering" on our Hymer we are going to sort it out and got stuck in. Its definately a damp problem, but this lady has been stored under cover for the best part of 15 years, so am convinced its a mixture of condensation and being closed up for long periods of time. The covering has bee stripped quite easily using sandpaper and a hot air gun off the worst affected door & frame to the shower toilet area, had a real mare getting the screws to let go, rusty and very brittle, ending up drilling the little swines out so will have to locate hinges in another position due to screws breaking flush with woodwork, its on the inside thankfully so no one will notice. BTW The bathroom door seems to be very light construction with 2 panels glued to a wooded frame, not solid door. The reason we bought this vehicle was its our last big purchase to realise our dreams to sod off and enjoy ourselves, so it has to look nice both inside & out. We have been quoted £100 for the bathroom door & £25 for the other 4 cupboard doors by a local artisan french polisher, but that seems an awful lot of money to me. Off to B & Q tomorrow to ask the very nice people who work there for an opinion and hopefully I will be able to say, I did that, when anyone asks. All the suggestions have inspired me to "have a go" if I goof it up well, maybe the french polisher might be a good bet????
Also found out the hydraulic 2nd lounge table has suffered at the hands of some ham fisted treatment with the securing clamp in the lowered position, i,e, under tension. Thats going to cause some interesting nights out if it lets fly when we are using it!!!!!!! Zwaardvis are the makers and still in business after 20 years! Hopefully they will be able to help after the 2 day break forced upon us.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Reg,

You are far more adventurous than I would have been. Would you consider adding "before" and "after" photos, to help us all keep up with your progress?

If you've not done so already, can I suggest the purchase of a decent damp test meter, which you can use externally as well as internally, to help you identify areas of possible concern. I went for the >>Rapitest<< model, after witnessing my local NCC workshop using the same one, however there are >>lots of others<< available, but the flexible probe allows readings, from otherwise inaccessible places. Mine saved me a small fortune, so was money well spent.

Good luck with the restoration. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back