Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi Funsters,

We have purchased some portable solar panels to replace our generator, which was just too difficult for hubby to cope with. The question is now, how do we stop any untowards from half inching them when our back is turned? Ideas please.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Solar Panel

We chain ours to the the van (towbar, axel, step etc). If we do not feel safe we usually place it back in the van during the night.

For you information - it's great when the sun shines.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Get one of those 5m security cables and a chunky padlock from Lidl. If they nic 'em with that attached, your van will go too! :ROFLMAO:

Those just hell bent on stealing your goods, nothing stops them! If they don't get away with them, they'll just cause damage probably costing more to put right than the value of the items they're trying to nic!

I sometimes have to stop myself creating a fortress :Eeek: ! Just use common sense and some precautions and enjoy life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used a stand-alone panel with our previous van. I used to attach it to the hab step or to one of the lashing/towing eyes, whichever was most convenient. It came with a security cable attached plus a padlock but I replaced the padlock with a bike security cable which has a combination lock (also gave more cable length for manoeuvrability).

In addition I used to hang one of those alarm padlocks from it whilst we were away from the van.

We used the panel mainly on meets/rallies where there tended to be people who knew us about when we were away from the van but we also used it on a few CLs/CSs.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. just remember a big set of bolt croppers will get them if they want them .
snip and they are gone.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
For our Genny we chain it to an axle, I have an alarm padlock which you set via the key and hey presto!! if the Genny gets moved not only am I alerted but the siren is absolutely deafening, I think I paid about £25 of Fleabay. Peter.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Solar panel security

Thanks for your help. The 5 metre wire and security padlock is on EBAY for around £20 so all on its way.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
er-fasten them to roof :ROFLMAO:
Sorry-couldn't resist that.

Mike

Sadly this does not always prevent theft, a customer who I fitted a solar panel for at Peterborough show has this week E-mailed to say it has been stolen! First time for everything.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back