Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
This morning I said to Sue.. pop in the post office .. want a few more Euros as I will run half tank to France on Tuesday and take on fuel over there... taking advantage of the exchange rates....

I looked on line at Travlex was doing 1.218 and post office was 1.215 .. so I said just get me another £100 and I will use that to put in the tank rather than top off here on the way to the tunnel... only have to do a total of 202 miles all told to the site we use.

So the rip off...........

Sue hands over the £100 and on checking they only give 1.15 .. challenged they say .. oh that rate is if you pay on line......

So be aware... the post office will take you for a ride.

What makes me mad is Sue fell for it...

Bob:Angry:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Bob

I have always been wary of the post office and use the order and pick up service of Thomas Cook where the rate today is 1.20 euros to the pound.

They probably gave her the buying rate and not the selling rate.

Sonja

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is what bugs me most

Caxton card for me, good rates, don't need to carry cash and load when rates are favourable.

That is what bugs me most I have a euro card from Caxton FX... but as this was not a through the night run which we do when we head south I just drew euros from the travel agents I normal use.. getting just over €1.20 .. but it was just that following JIM's remarks about the price of fuel in France I decided to jus add a few more euros to top of the tank over there...

I should have just loaded the money on to the Caxton card.. a far better rate than the post office...

Just Sue did not check the rate before she purchased them... hind sight and all that.

Bob

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think Tescy`s are givin 1.21 at the mo and we paid 1.32 a litre for diesel last week at the Intermarche:Cool::Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I need normal petrol

I think Tescy`s are givin 1.21 at the mo and we paid 1.32 a litre for diesel last week at the Intermarche:Cool::Cool:

I need the normal petrol prices.... anyone seen what they are in the Normandy area?

Bob

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
We nipped over to Belgium a couple of weeks ago also only got €1.15 from Postoffice not too worried as it was only a small amount changed

Also used HSBC debit card in Belgium @ €1.218

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am thankful it was only a £100

I am thankful it was only £100.. would have been a bit more upset if it had been the £1,500 I previously changed.

Caxton FX card is €1.22 at the moment.. I suspect I will load some money on to it to do the fuel with... at least it is 7 points more than the post office.

Bob

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have always used my nationwide debit card when abroad i normally get the bank exchange rate although there is a small charge i still get a better exchange

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Seeing further responses on this thread I looked at the Post Office web site.

Rates displayed are for Online orders only, terms & conditions apply

Hardly a rip-off when they tell you up front is it Bob? :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Whenever I find people fretting about the exchange rate it always reminds me of motorists stuck in slow moving traffic... there are those who are constantly changing lanes to try to gain a few yards (often losing out in the end) and those who calmly wait in their lane and move forward when able to do so...

I have to use both sterling and euros... normally I would usually use my euros in Europe and my pounds in Blighty but quite often I have a need to get euros for pounds and vice versa...

I just do it... I have no idea what the exchange rate is... I put a bit of plastic in the wall... press some buttons and notes come out...

Now I dare say I might lose the odd centime here and there (and probably gain a few sometimes too) but what I save in stress reduction more than makes up for any short fall...

Money? It is only figures on a computer screen... :restmycase:

JJ :Cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm guilty of not reading the small print when ordering some USD a few weeks ago. Unless pre-ordered, the rate is not competitive. I simply declined to buy any and ordered online with Travelex and picked up USD at the airport on the way out the following day. Now, I check the exchange rates but refuse to get hung up over decimals of who is better than the other as life is simply too short to becomes stressed over a few quid on exchanges. Same argument applies to buying diesel. I like to buy cheap, but not going to spend all day hunting for it, either online or physically.

Edit - just read the above post....... Yep! :)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Got 1.2259 euros/£ from Travelex on Monday, No commission charges.

This is by using the Thomas Cook "Passport" cash card.

Have used it for about the last 3 years and find it very useful when abroad, saves having to carry large amounts of cash around.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Seeing further responses on this thread I looked at the Post Office web site.

Rates displayed are for Online orders only, terms & conditions apply

Hardly a rip-off when they tell you up front is it Bob? :Smile:

Tut Tut Sundance, our learned friend not reading the small print.... :shout:

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it was SWMBO

Tut Tut Sundance, our learned friend not reading the small print.... :shout:

I deny it, demand proof and lie if I have to... it was SWMBO .... she decided to go to the post office and not our usual travel agent..... be honest shifty would I admit it:winky:

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Discovery of evidence!

Isn't the over-riding duty of a lawyer to provide all the evidence known to him to the court? :roflmto:

Discovery of evidence only applies if the defendant discloses his defence before the trial ... Otherwise the CPS is not obliged to hand over unused evidence they hold.

So I am not handing over any more evidence as it might get me hung, drawn and quartered:cry::cry:

What it does say is if you want a proper job done then do it yourself

Bob:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Discovery of evidence only applies if the defendant discloses his defence before the trial ... Otherwise the CPS is not obliged to hand over unused evidence they hold.

So I am not handing over any more evidence as it might get me hung, drawn and quartered:cry::cry:

What it does say is if you want a proper job done then do it yourself

Bob:thumb:

Looking again we don't need more evidence Bob. It's in the OP
This morning [HI]I said to Sue[/HI].. pop in the post office .. want a few more Euros as I will run half tank to France on Tuesday and take on fuel over there... taking advantage of the exchange rates....

[HI]I looked on line[/HI] at Travlex was doing 1.218 and post office was 1.215 .. so [HI]I said just get me another £100[/HI] and I will use that to put in the tank rather than top off here on the way to the tunnel... only have to do a total of 202 miles all told to the site we use.

Got you bang to right by your own admission old son :roflmto:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Well spotted Sundance, I suggest , guilty, 10 years no chance of parole, hang on, Winnebago owner, make that 20 years, If we had to explain you would not understand (it is an American thing)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Why do threads that start off informative and useful to Members degenerate into replies that are neither helpful or relevant to the original post?

:france::france::france:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Why do threads that start off informative[/HI] and useful to Members degenerate into replies that are neither helpful or relevant to the original post?

The thread title is "Post office rip off on euros" and the OP alleged a rip off. Investigation showed the premise on which the thread was started to be mistaken. Consequent wind-up replies may not be "helpful" but are they really irrelevant in the circumstances? :Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Do the Post Office offer a buy back garauntee so they will give you the same rate as you were sold them? If so you could go back and change them back (if the difference is worth it - its too early for me to work it out this morning)

We got ours from Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago 1.22 incl Nectar discount. We saw the rate on line and then went to store but the rate was lower. Cashier suggested we went home and ordered on line for delivery to the store and pick up the next day, which we did.

Going back today to change 90euros back - will be interesting to see what rate we get.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OK, OK, OK I give up

OK, OK, OK, I give up...... perhaps I should have said that watch out the rate advertised on the internet is not what you will get from the local post office.. but a delivery only....:Sad::Sad::Sad:

It is often the case of shot the messenger... mind you get use to that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Why do threads that start off informative and useful to Members degenerate into replies that are neither helpful or relevant to the original post?

Its called FUN not Facts:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back