Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over 20 yrs yrs
Its time to bite the bullet and fork out for 4 new rear tyres for my Hymer Starline - one of my shortlisted makes is Yokohama RY818 - Delivery Star but no one else seems to go past Continental Vanco or Continental 4 seasons....... Its Vanco tyres on the motorhome at present but they are about knacked and are LONG overdue for a change based on the dates on them. Anyone got good or bad reports on Yokohama.....:Thanks - weeshuey

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi WS only ever had them on a car - never heard of them on a van.They worked OK on the car ::bigsmile:Are you changing solely on dates?If I was you I would look for cracking on side walls etc if OK carry on using them Lots of nonsense about changing them because they are five yrs old :Smile:I have four rear tyres on my van that are 10 yrs old and still plenty of life in them -no cracking etc, and look very good indeed.I have a new set to fit on the rears just not got around to it yet ::bigsmile:Only fitting the new ones because I got them on new wheels for £60 each and it will save me painting the wheels this year if I swap them or the old tyres would be staying on ::bigsmile:
Now :hardhat: on ready for the change perfectly good tyres after five year brigade ::bigsmile:
I had an old moggy 1000 with 15000 mls on it and original tyres that flew through the test a few yrs back (10) no probs with tyres :winky: long before anybody thought about changing age related tyres you only changed them when they wore out ::bigsmile::reel:
terry

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Having worked in the tyre trade I agree that the 5year rule may be good for the tyre makers and sellers but not for your pocket.

If the covers as they are called in the trade look ok then they probably are. You never know whats going on under the rubber but that can also be said of new tyres.

I can remember premium brand covers that started to de-laminate almost before they left the factory.

pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi WS only ever had them on a car - never heard of them on a van.They worked OK on the car ::bigsmile:Are you changing solely on dates?If I was you I would look for cracking on side walls etc if OK carry on using them Lots of nonsense about changing them because they are five yrs old :Smile:I have four rear tyres on my van that are 10 yrs old and still plenty of life in them -no cracking etc, and look very good indeed.I have a new set to fit on the rears just not got around to it yet ::bigsmile:Only fitting the new ones because I got them on new wheels for £60 each and it will save me painting the wheels this year if I swap them or the old tyres would be staying on ::bigsmile:
Now :hardhat: on ready for the change perfectly good tyres after five year brigade ::bigsmile:
I had an old moggy 1000 with 15000 mls on it and original tyres that flew through the test a few yrs back (10) no probs with tyres :winky: long before anybody thought about changing age related tyres you only changed them when they wore out ::bigsmile::reel:
terry

Your choice I guess but.....

OK Our Winne's tyres were 14 years at the time, no cracks and loads of tread, when one simply failed, the internal reinforcing went by the looks of it, something like a 10" split running a perfect radius in the side wall. Fortunatly it inflated the tread off the core carcus first, causing a 'blister' the size of a rugby ball, which dispite being on the back I noticed, stopped and spotted. 3-4 MPH crawling up the hard shoulder got me all of ten yards before the bang, internal edge on a dueally, failure at motorway speed would have been interesting:Eeek:(and expensive). Shortly (ish) after we had all 6 changed(new spare already after blowout), nick of time as another one was on it's way. Like I say, no cracks and loads of tread.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its more the lack of use with motorhome tyres that knackers them. Standing in one place for months on end through the winter is the worse thing you can do to a tyre wall. Its as bad if not worse than sun damage. Have watched as motorhomers have covered there tyres from the sun for 6 months thinking that's all they have to do to protect them. Have also seen them cover tyres at a weekend meet against sun damage when the motorhome has been standing in one place all winter.:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Your choice I guess but.....

OK Our Winne's tyres were 14 years at the time, no cracks and loads of tread, when one simply failed, the internal reinforcing went by the looks of it, something like a 10" split running a perfect radius in the side wall. Fortunatly it inflated the tread off the core carcus first, causing a 'blister' the size of a rugby ball, which dispite being on the back I noticed, stopped and spotted. 3-4 MPH crawling up the hard shoulder got me all of ten yards before the bang, internal edge on a dueally, failure at motorway speed would have been interesting:Eeek:(and expensive). Shortly (ish) after we had all 6 changed(new spare already after blowout), nick of time as another one was on it's way. Like I say, no cracks and loads of tread.

14 YRS No cracking but it did blister -so it did not look OK :thumb:well spotted ::bigsmile:
terry :Smile:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just changed all of mine at 5 and a half years old with 25,000 miles on them.

On the basis that the life of my wife, myself and others is dependant on a patch of rubber about the size of the sole of my shoe I am not prepared to take any chances. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations and don't necessarily agree that they make these for profit.

As someone else has said, those tyres are stationary for a considerable period of time with 3+ tonnes bearing down on them .

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
14 YRS No cracking but it did blister -so it did not look OK :thumb:well spotted ::bigsmile:
terry :Smile:

No, it looked absolutly fine, 5-6 miles of A road, onto the M6 and about 4 miles up at around 60, bang bang bang started. Dispite the rough bit of road surface we were on I quickly convinced myself something wasn't right, slowed, and fortunatly hit a smooth bit of new tarmac, which confirmed, and made a hasty run onto the hard shoulder, and as per earlier post, in the nick of time:Eeek:

It's, as per above, not only the safetly of yourself and passengers but also those around you and the amount of damage that can be done. OK, a new tyre can fail but why risk it to save a few quid, mind you ours are more than a few quid, but what price safety and peice of mind?

Related, but slightly off topic, it amazes me people don't realise the importance of good tyres, you don't have to spend a fortune but many cheep tyres are just that, and dangerous!

Couple of examples, we played in the kit car scene for a few years and the amount of people I'd talk to who went on about the cheap tyres they'd found in one breath the complain their cars handling was poor with no realisation of the corrolation beggered beleif. Typically the cheap tyres were either mud and snow small SUV type or simply very hard compound which on a typically 800kg car were useless and bloomin dangerous frankly. One I bought, first drive on the set of tyres on it, no names, with loads of tread where like driving on ice, on a dry sunny day:Eeek: Quick research and around £50 more for a set of four versus cheap had tyres that worked extremely well and were safe!

Company car years ago, Astra estate, not the best handling car particularly in the wet BUT it went in for service and the garage unbeknown to me decided and got autherisation to change the tyres and without my input put cheapies on, terifing is the only word to use. Suddenly, dry handling was poor and wet, well terifing.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Either way it gave you warning :Smile:You could have hit some debris in the road or anything so it may well not be age related,then again it could be ::bigsmile:I am still not changing tyres at five yrs old-strikes me as plain stupid--As to cheapo tyres my mate got some put on his wifes car which had Nylon side walls :Eeek: she complained about it not driving right so he jumped into it and promptly stuck the car into the hedge bottom ::bigsmile:Did not take long to change tyres -lesson learned
terry

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
CP tyres

I believe I have mentioned CP tyres on motorhomes before These are made for motorhomes standing still for long periods. C rated tyres are for commercial vehs that are in constant use SO I'M TOLD and it was an article in Sept 2011 MMM. Am I correct

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Would this be info from the same people who say change at 5 yrs ::bigsmile:When they show me data /compare camping tyres to commercial tyres stood on a van for five yrs say 2 camping tyres front against 2 commercial tyres rear then prove any difference then I may believe them ::bigsmile::RollEyes:White van man gives tyres a lot more abuse than any M/H driver :Doh:
A bit like a few yrs ago I wanted to upgrade rear springs on a van -only do 3 sizes sir, 3.5 t and 5 t and 7.5 t (wanted to change from 3.5 to 5 t springs)why he asked,as soon I MENTIONED A CAMPER VAN/MH THEY SUDDENLY JUMPED UP £150 :Eeek:-needless to say I did not buy from them :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back