Sikaflex sealants and adhesives (1 Viewer)

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Posted this on RVOC, thought it might be useful to Funsters as well:

OK, as promised I am back from my site training at Sika UK and have a vast amount of information regarding sealants and adhesives for the Caravan/ Motorhome and Train carriage building market.

Unfortunately, as I am as thick as pea soup and the technician helping me with my enquiry was a boffin in the extreme, I tended to nod my head in agreement far too often when I should have said "Was that actually English you've just spoken"Link Removed

However, I did remember some of it and wrote most of it down. The technician was also kind enough to give me his direct line number if I have any questions in the future.

If you already understand sealants and adhesives then stop reading now. This is realy for those, like me who know nothing:

Sika adhesives are designed to be used with no other fixation device needed. Correct preparation of the substrate is therefore vital. The correct procedure and products needed for caravan/ RV work:

Pre treatment - Activator 205

Primers - Steel/ Aluminium - Primer 210
Plastic - Primer 206 G + P
Painted Substrates - Primer 209N

Interior Sealant - Sikaflex 221
Exterior Sealant - Sikaflex 521UV
Structural Adhesive - Sikaflex 252

The pre-treatment and primer phase are vital.

Unfortunately, only loctite manufacture products compatible with rubber coated substrates (Roof coatings etc)

I hope this helps. If you need any further help then PM me and I will contact the Sika technicianLink Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
so if i understand what you wrote for sticking a sat dome to the painted aluminium roof of a motorhome you first need the activator 205, primer 209N then 252 oh and plastic primer 206 g+p for the bottom of the dome.

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
so if i understand what you wrote for sticking a sat dome to the painted aluminium roof of a motorhome you first need the activator 205, primer 209N then 252 oh and plastic primer 206 g+p for the bottom of the dome.

Correct.

However, although I saw many examples where these products were used without additional fixation (Bolts etc), including spoilers on GT racing cars that reach speeds of 160+ MPH, I will also be bolting my sat dome down when I fix it. Only because I have no experience with this technology and wouldn't be confident with something as heavy as a sat dome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gazzet

Banned
May 29, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Pilot
Exp
since 2009
use sika i coll or simple polyurathene its super tough and lasts.In fact even butal rubber would hold your sat dome down in a 140mph gale

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi IF you look on Sikaflex web site it tells you all this and which to use for what :winky:
terry

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Sealants

For what it may be woth,info wise, there is a very good adhesive sealant on the market which can be purchased from Jewsons builders merchants and no doubt other outlets. It is called "Sticks Like S..t" And it does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi IF you look on Sikaflex web site it tells you all this and which to use for what :winky:
terry

I looked before going on site. Probably one of the most confusing product ranges on the market. I thought a quick chat with the technical dept to narrow the choices down may help those like me with no knowledge of sealants and adhesives:winky::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back