Towing a Punto ELX Speedgear? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
My FIAT Punto ELX Speedgear is an automatic BUT, many people tell me it's okay to tow it in neutral.

This from the FIAT forum:
I believe as the speedgear isn't a true automatic gearbox this is probably ok if in neutral, though you shouldn't really tow any car for long periods as the forces in the gear box are opposite from what the engine would apply in normal use.

Basically I don't think it would do much harm.

Anyone here towing one of these or any knowledge?

Cheers

John

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No direct knowledge but when looking for a towcar (ours is a Panda) there was a speedmatic for sale with an A Frame fitted:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
is it the CVT version? If so then you probably can't as it uses a steel belt.

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I would imagine its in your manual. Unlike a electronic gearbox it should give you perfectly smooth gear changes, its just two variable pulley's connected by a steel belt, a similar idea to what the old Daf's had but they used a rubber belt. I saw it demonstrated on TV several years ago. Its possible that in neutral it would be ok, but an expensive mistake if it can't be towed.

I just googled your car out of curiosity, and one of the forums was talking about how good the CVT was. I don't have any firsthand knowledge.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Could be a CVT, I had one of the originals on a DAF 66, I think you would be aware if it was though, more likely its the same as the one on my Fiesta which is a manual gear box with a seperate auto clutch & selector, they put the same on some transits with a electronic selector but stopped as they were so much trouble.
My Fiesta says tow in emergency only at no more than 50mph

Dave

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
yours is the second generation fiat punto fitted with the cone type cvt,cant help you on the towing :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back