Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am off to Brittany for a week next week.

Due to work commitments I cannot travel down with my wife and kids so will have to "leg it" down later in my car on my own.

I will take the toll roads which is not a problem. However how do I pay at tolls bearing in mind the toll booths will be on the left and I am sitting on the right?

Do I need to get out of the car and walk round or are their right hand side toll booths?

Never travelled abroad on my own before so never took the time to look.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Some tolls have both side

Due to work commitments I cannot travel down with my wife and kids so will have to "leg it" down later in my car on my own.

I will take the toll roads which is not a problem. However how do I pay at tolls bearing in mind the toll booths will be on the left and I am sitting on the right?

Do I need to get out of the car and walk round or are their right hand side toll booths?

Soe have both side, but few... It is a case of getting out... And be fast...

Or use the national routes which are often just as fast.

Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you do get out of you car "I have heard".
Switch engine off, and put seat belt on before pulling away.
I lock the van as well when I do this....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User

Try this https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/ :thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have always managed to lean across but switch engine off 1st or u may click the gears in

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Thanks Stagman Just looked at the site.We do a lot of travelling both through and via France and this system looks excellent. Is it FREE?? to set up and are there any hidden costs??

Deposit on the tag, and approx 2€ admin fee for the months it's used. You can get them at most SANEF Autoroute toll stations with a UK credit card, but AFTER the exit toll. Cheaper than getting it in the UK. I use mine in both the car and MH. Unlike the robbers in the the UK, your card is only debited as you use it. You don't have to pay in advance

Malcolm

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Watch out for scantly clad very attractive girls by the side of the road, it's your duty as a visitor to a foreign land to offer them a lift before they freeze to death.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The toll information is very interesting, will have to register interest in it as it doesnt include us as over 3mtr and 3500kg, we mostly use the 'N' and 'D' roads (due to charges for outfit class 4, but some stretches we do use) which i find just fine, they are not as busy as roads over here and most have a route around the local towns, and fuel and cafe breaks are cheaper

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why not

Watch out for scantly clad very attractive girls by the side of the road, it's your duty as a visitor to a foreign land to offer them a lift before they freeze to death.
Saw a lot of them in Spain:thumb: Thought they were waiting for a bus so wiffie said not to stop and offer them a lift as perhaps they were going shopping.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Well, it would solve my toll problems::bigsmile:

billy&val

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
swansea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
I know it might sound a bit daft but a friend of our's used to travel
to Spain in his car and he had a kids fishing net on a cane and when
he got to the toll booth he just passed the money over without getting
out* honest.
Billy

S

stagman

Deleted User
I have registered with them.. they hope in the future to have a system for the 3.5 tons plus... but for now it is cars and smaller units.

When I registered my interest they did reply.. which is a good start.

Bob

My van is 4 tonne but under 3mtr I am thinking of taking a gamble , previously with this van I have always payed class 2 , :thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

treacle, if you don't sign up with Saneftolling don't worry about getting out to pay. When I travel alone in the Ducato I use a mix of paying a real person ( as it's easy to scoot across the cab and use the passenger window), but on some auto tolls the card slots are just at the wrong height and I get out and stand in front of the machine to make a payment. Of course don't take your time, but as at the Dartford Crossing you would expect a foreign car or truck to take a little longer to pay and you allow for that, so do most French people in my experience when a UK vehicle is in front of them.

As an aside, just brought our MH back from France today.

4 tolls, 1 real person and 3 automated. We are 2.85m high but twin rear wheel and 4.6 GVW, paid Classe 2 at all of them, no problem.
As many have always suspected, they do have a system to measure the height of your vehicle, but not the weight.

S

stagman

Deleted User

4 tolls, 1 real person and 3 automated. We are 2.85m high but twin rear wheel and 4.6 GVW, paid Classe 2 at all of them, no problem.
As many have always suspected, they do have a system to measure the height of your vehicle, but not the weight.[/QUOTE]

This is what I suspected ,and the answer I was looking for , Thanks :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just remember that

As many have always suspected, they do have a system to measure the height of your vehicle, but not the weight.

This is what I suspected ,and the answer I was looking for , Thanks :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Just remember that the auto tolls dispense the ticket to the vehicle based on the height. Ok if you are in a car it is dispensed car window height... however in a motor home it measures you as a truck and dispenses it to a truck window height that requires often putting in park (automatic) lowering the window, release seat belt .. climb on to seat and stretch up.. take ticket and they do it the other way round... oh great fun...

The worse one was when we wanted to pay cash as in € and I saw a sign directing me to a cash pay point in a lane off to the right behind a crash wall... Sue would not have it so I drove up to the barrier and could not get it to accept the card.... I pressed the buzzer ... some remote French man told me to back up and (50 yards) ... 2 toll lanes only.... I had the tiny trailer on the back which is impossible to back.... in the end Sue had to walk back through the traffic.. pay, get the ticket then we could get out of the toll. Not all booths are manned .. just be aware.

Also if you have to feed a note in.. the change comes out low and if you are in an B class ..try opening the doors to reach down.. now that is fun.

The national routes are so so better. Only use a toll if you need to skip a major town.. but even then I prefer the town.. get the cheaper fuel, stop at a supermarket etc.,

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back