Cleaning MH roof (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it safe to walk on a MH roof to clean it?

In a word.. No .. it gets slippy and falling off is not a good idea.. better to use a ladder propped against the side and a long car wash brush with hose.

If your asking can it support my weight then it probably can, but you may damage seals around roof lights and other fittings, not always apparent until the dreaded damp appears.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I walk on my roof but it has metal sheets put down think this was standard fit on my hymer?. anyone else have these metal sheets on there motorhome?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The owner's handbook should explicitly state any areas safe to walk on. Assume no otherwise. I have tall stepladders, as tall as the van, and can reach half way across the roof from each side, which makes cleaning relatively straightforward.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you cant walk on a motorhome roof why then do the makers fit a ladder and roof bars ??????
has anyone tried tying stuff to the bars with one hand while stood on the ladder...i wouldn't !!!!!

just keep clear of any roof openings and the overcab bulge, as that's usually ABS/fibre glass and wont take much weight.

i wandered around on the kontiki roof and i weigh near on 17st

the RV roof, steel loop frame and fibre glass so i could have a party up there without worry :roflmto:.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I walk on my roof but it has metal sheets put down

Our Burstner ( Hymer group ) has "metal sheets" roof and sides but since I've cut through them a few times I can tell you a sample I have here labelled ROOF is 0.5mm aluminium. Weight is everything in a MH.

I walk on the roof too, no problem.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have just spent all day Friday cleaning the roof of my Lunar Roadstar, not an easy job in this hot weather.

I have a long step ladder which enables me to reach to the edge of the roof I can then usually use a long brush and clean the roof, however, on this occasion I had to actually scrub the roof to remove some very stubborn grime.

I climbed onto the roof but placed most of my weight close to the edge so there was some support from the walls. I then stretched across and scrubbed the various areas with a toothbrush, this included all those areas around the rooflights etc where moss and leaves seem to collect. I also put up a small set of steps inside the habitation area and worked through the big rooflight.

Yesterday i spent all day washing and polishing the sides, back and front. She really looks nice and clean now.

Would I like to walk on my roof, in short no, wouldn't want to take the risk of damaging it.

By the way, spending all day Friday and Saturday in the unrelenting sun I ended up with sunburn on my legs and arms.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I weigh 15 stone and wander about all over the top of our Chausson when cleaning it. I do not step on the overcab though, as this area is not strong enough to support any weight at all.
No problems to report!

Our old Elddis Autocirrus was OK to walk on too!
The owners manual said so!::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I get up on our roof regularly - no problems ... :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have no problems myself

I have no problems myself.. I hire a chap from Bulgaria... Yes he is legal... He works very hard and does a fantastic job... Washes all the RV for £50 .. Takes between 3 and 4 hours.. The roof is as clean as the rest f the RV....

My body and roof are substantial fiberglass ... Plus he is not that heavy.

Bob:RollEyes:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
So there you have it, no need for step ladders, long brushes or taking chances,....what YOU need to clean your MH roof, is a lightweight bulgarian. These can be purchased from Johns Cross motorhomes and are in the "cleaning" section or can be bought online but are collect only item due to awkward packaging issues.

Please note, supplies are limited, they only come into stock when one falls from the axles of an HGV negotiating the roundabout nearby,........price is subject to the usual funster discount::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Made me chuckle

So there you have it, no need for step ladders, long brushes or taking chances,....what YOU need to clean your MH roof, is a lightweight bulgarian. These can be purchased from Johns Cross motorhomes and are in the "cleaning" section or can be bought online but are collect only item due to awkward packaging issues.

Please note, supplies are limited, they only come into stock when one falls from the axles of an HGV negotiating the roundabout nearby,........price is subject to the usual funster discount::bigsmile:

Great... Best post I have read to day... Only problem is when you call JCM they will be out of stock:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
On those occasions when the roof of our Dethleffs needs cleaning I always prefer to get up there, and even though Mrs. JayDee is several stone lighter I can't persuade her to do it. :RollEyes:

One thing I always recommend though is to only walk on the roof barefoot. If you are wearing shoes of any sort you would be quite unaware of any grit caught in the sole which wouldn't do your roof much good at all. And anyway bare feet will give you much better grip that any soft soled footwear.

John

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
After finding a ladder with pipe insulation leaning up against the side not quite the easiest of ways started to think of something easier, considered a platform but didn't seem that secure and not high enough to make life easier, looked at a cheap tower scaffold but decided against, looked at decent step ladders with side handles for extra stability but they were expensive for what they were and still meant reaching off a ladder.
Then when walking around bookers the eureka moment struck after seeing the perfect solution to my need not to get soaked and risk falling off a step ladder and break something I need for driving! Once home went on ebay with various search key words and found this at a very reasonable £100 just up the road! Perhaps a bit overkill some may say, but it's also great for the very long Hawthorn boundary hedge as well!

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 56

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 2007 Knaus A class and I walked on the roof earlier this year. It does state in the manual that that its ok but a week later when in Scotland the roof leaked around the large sunroof. We sealed the sunroof as soon as it dried out later that day. I would suggest if walking on the roof stay away as much as possible from any holes cut into the roof.

Peter

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
After finding a ladder with pipe insulation leaning up against the side not quite the easiest of ways started to think of something easier, considered a platform but didn't seem that secure and not high enough to make life easier, looked at a cheap tower scaffold but decided against, looked at decent step ladders with side handles for extra stability but they were expensive for what they were and still meant reaching off a ladder.
Then when walking around bookers the eureka moment struck after seeing the perfect solution to my need not to get soaked and risk falling off a step ladder and break something I need for driving! Once home went on ebay with various search key words and found this at a very reasonable £100 just up the road! Perhaps a bit overkill some may say, but it's also great for the very long Hawthorn boundary hedge as well!

I'm glad to see you assessed the task iand came up with a solution that was safe and cost effective, keeping the risk rating as low as reasonably practicable whilst demonstrating an awareness of your surroundings and any hazards presenting themselves as a result of your findings.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No really, I would have one if I could store it somewhere:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I do take a wander occasionally, but mostly lean [HI]a well padded ladder [/HI]against the roof rim to do any cleaning and polishing

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I dont like walking on the roof of our van, it cant begood for the bonding no matter what the manual says. If i have to get on the roof i have an unwanted kids wave board ( The high density foam type ) it spreads the load great and prevenys any point loads from heels or knees.
I clean the roof from a large step ladder.

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
It’s going to have to be a long brush today then...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back