Why does the snooper only have ferries? (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
This morning I decided to enter in to my Snooper 7000 the ACSI destination where we are going to for our base.

The satellite insisted that I had to go by ferry.. will not accept there is a tunnel. I will readjust I know as I leave the train terminal .. but it is a pain that it cannot allow you to have the tunnel and not a ferry.

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This morning I decided to enter in to my Snooper 7000 the ACSI destination where we are going to for our base.

The satellite insisted that I had to go by ferry..[HI] will not accept there is a tunnel.[/HI] I will readjust I know as I leave the train terminal .. but it is a pain that it cannot allow you to have the tunnel and not a ferry.

because....

.. the sat signal won't penetrate into the tunnel .. so it would get 'lost' :winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have trouble rationalising to myself why TomTom can follow the road through the tunnel just outside Rouen - 'Grande Mare' is it? - except it goes on to monochrome while you are in it.

Well that's a lie. I don't have trouble rationalising it. I can't rationalise it AT ALL ! :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My first thought was idiot!!!!!

because....

.. the sat signal won't penetrate into the tunnel .. so it would get 'lost' :winky:

My first thought Jim was ... Idiot... But giving it further consideration .... You are still an idiot... Sorry:Blush:

Taking the logic further.. The motor home or RV go inside the ferry so no signal:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... I rest my case::bigsmile:

Bob:Blush:... P.s. did not mean you are an idiot, idiot... But a ....we'll :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you know what I mean:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is true it does not lose the signal

I have trouble rationalising to myself why TomTom can follow the road through the tunnel just outside Rouen - 'Grande Mare' is it? - except it goes on to monochrome while you are in it.

Well that's a lie. I don't have trouble rationalising it. I can't rationalise it AT ALL ! :roflmto:

It is true it does not lose the signal.... But no idea why it goes to monochrome.... I find the Dartford tunnel does not lose the signal either...

Bob

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I think it does lose the signal. It is "predicting" your route as it "saw" you enter the tunnel. :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My first thought Jim was ... Idiot... But giving it further consideration .... You are still an idiot... Sorry:Blush:

Taking the logic further.. The motor home or RV go inside the ferry so no signal:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... I rest my case::bigsmile:

Bob:Blush:... P.s. did not mean you are an idiot, idiot... But a ....we'll :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you know what I mean:thumb:[/QUOT

A harsh responce for a clearly deliberate jest:Sad:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
He knows I was joking.. Hence loads of smile faces

Bob:Blush:... P.s. did not mean you are an idiot, idiot... But a ....we'll :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you know what I mean:thumb:[/QUOT

A harsh responce for a clearly deliberate jest:Sad:

I would think Jim knew I was joking.. Especially with the number of smiling faces I used. ... As Brain Connley used to say 'it is only a puppet' .. I.e a joke... Oh boy!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well Bob, when did snooper last update their mapping database ?

i bet they're older than the tunnel....no tunnel, no option. :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
TomTom is the opposite as it normally insists on the Tunnel (although it's still classed as a Ferry) as it must have some calculation that it's quicker.

As for the screen going Monochrome, this is to let you know that the Sat signal has been lost and it's estimating your position based on the speed you were travelling when it lost it's signal. If you get stuck in traffic after entering a tunnel, it does get a little confussed.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
On TV, lawyers are always making contentious statements and then immediately say "Withdrawn..."

But by then it is too late and the jury have already heard what they said... :winky: :winky: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

PS. I believe one of the features of the latest Tom Tom software is that it "guesses" your movement when you go into tunnels etc. and so is able to log back onto the satellite much quicker than some of its competitors...

Tom Tom Rools...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On tother hand Tomtom only seems to have the chunnel

I guess it depends on who pays them ( the GPS makers ) the most !

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do you think they get paid?

On tother hand Tomtom only seems to have the chunnel

I guess it depends on who pays them ( the GPS makers ) the most !

Interesting point.. but would they pay them to include the tunnel or the ferries? I would only enter the route way after I booked my journey .. so I just wonder if it is someone in an office somewhere that decides...

Given there is a reasonable distance between the port and the tunnel entrance it is an interesting issue.

Bob

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Our Tom Toms (start 25 and start20) has both the ferries and the tunnel. :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
well Bob, when did snooper last update their mapping database ?

i bet they're older than the tunnel....no tunnel, no option. :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Well they cannot be worth the money if they haven't updated the mapping in the last 18 years, can they?

Not too many sat navs around in 1994? :winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is true

Well they cannot be worth the money if they haven't updated the mapping in the last 18 years, can they?

Not too many sat navs around in 1994? :winky:

That Keith is very true.... the odd road is different I suspect, but these days I do not worry to much about the up dates even if about....

I paid £1,400 for my first satnav .. a Garmin Street Pilot III with much spent on it for extra European map unlocks and a yearly up date for about 5 years.. these days it is cheaper to buy a new satellite system.

In the RV I have a hand held Garmin ... I use for the KPH so I do not have to keep looking at the inner ring on the speedo... it is on a bracket higher up... I have the Pioneer which is mainly used these days for music and backup camera.. on all the time.. but has of course maps and speed camera alert.. plus I use the snooper 7,000 which I use for getting from A to B... still have the brick (Garmin Street Pilot III) when i was in Cape Town last it was still being sold as a current model all these years on. I know the LA police helicopters were using it still up to a couple years ago...

But as I know where the tunnel is (40 miles from me) and the docks 49 miles away.. I do not worry to much... it soon picks up as I leave the train the route... but again have travelled the same route for many a year and could do it without a map or sat.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
all roads lead to Rome

Probably true :ROFLMAO:

The Pooper Snooper maps were seriously out of date on the Snooper Ventura I had. :Smile:

As they say all roads lead to Rome... but with the Snooper it has to use some of the Roman Roads and a few fields as it cannot find the new roads.

But that is true of the Garmin, the Pioneer and I suspect the Tom Tom (although I have never owned one of them)...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back