Help with Android phone App, anyone? (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Here I go again, proud owner of a nice new Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, free with 'Virgin Everything bundle' LOL

And I'd only just been taught how the other one worked. LOL

So determined not to be beaten, yesterday I decide to download an App. My first LOL

It's a reference book. It has many many pictures in it and an index of many many foods. I currently cart the ruddy book round with me and it is a PITA, but I need it, so it's ideal for on my phone. Plus I am given to understand the App is updated quite frequently. Brill.

So I managed to buy it OK, but when it tried to download and 'instal Index' , it sort-of 'hung', the bar stopped moving, and a message came up 'Unlicensed product' or somesuch. Then the screen automatically went to sleep so I woke it up and went to Market again, whereupon it was on exactly the same page and I now had two choiuces, can't remember the one but the other was apply for a refund, so I clicked that one. Whatever the other one said, it didn't sound to me like the thing was going to work.

Any ideas? - is it just that the App doesn't recognise the phone model and if so - can I do anything about that, or not?

For info the book is called Carbs & Cals. I really really would like it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There must be contact details for the author.

Give it another go and make notes then you can tell them exactly what went wrong. "Can't remember one" will not impress them.

Generally speaking the system works very well.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I realise that would not impress them Brian, I have no need or desire for them to be impressed and in any case they are no doubt quite used to dealing with complete idiots/technophobes. I'm perfectly certain I'm not the only one!

I was asking on here first since I have zilcho experience in the field and I just thought before I contacted them direct, perhaps this is a relatively common experience with a newish model of phone and it would be sensible to ask that question before sending emails off to them which I probably shan't see any answer to for over a week as I won't be here on the computer and I could really do with having the thing during the next 10 days!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
phone

i have got the same phone had it for about 6 weeks havnt got a clue how to get apps but it switches itself off sometimes when people ring me so think it might be faulty

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ah, I can help you there with getting Apps Scran, not it switching itself off!

You know the very begininning screen with the time and date, at the bottom on the top row on the right hand side, there's a box that looks like a shopping bag that says Market - press on that.

That takes you to Google Play. To access it you need a Googlemail email account. So it asks you for that, if you haven't got one it will take you through setting one up. Have a pen and paper ready to make a note of what it is! - and of course you need to remember your password.

Eventually when you've done all that and it knows your Googlemail account, Market will open up properly and it gives you the options of what you can put on your phone - Apps, Music, Movies, whatever.

Or you can open up Google Play on your computer and browse through that so when you've decided what you want on your phone (if you don't know already) you could then type the name of it in the search bar oin the GooglePlay screen - just jab it with your finger and it opens up a keyboard, it's all very user friendly - and proceed to find the thing.

Then when you've jabbed the 'Buy' button, it asks you to register a card with GooglePlay, so you give it the details of your card. It will remember this for future purchases. Eventually you confirm the purchase at which point it will attempt to download it, which is exactly the same process as what happens when you download summat to a computer ... or not in my case LOL

I presume once it's downloaded it, an icon will appear somewhere on the three pages of icons you already have! so when you want to access it, you'll just jab the icon.

It's kinda dead simple if you are used to clicking stuff with a mouse, in this case, your index finger is the mouse and the cursor, so just give wherever on the phone screen you'd want to place your cursor on a computer screen to do whatever it is, a poke with your finger ! :ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sometimes in the comments for the app it will tell if other users have experienced problems with their phone model maybe easier to look at those on your computer though

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I realise that would not impress them Brian

Are you Cassy ?

Cassy on May 15, 2012 (Samsung Galaxy S2 with version 1.0.57722)Don't bother

Tells me the app is not licenced and forces close! I want a refund!

If not then you are not alone.

Loads of happy Samsung users, so not the phone.

But too many who can't get it running.

Talk to them. If you don't get a quick answer they don't deserve your money.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ah right Brian! Thanks for that! - no I'm not Cassy cos I'd have known already LOL if I was! - and it never occurred to me to do the very thing suggested by Aba and very kindly done for me, by you.

Well they've already had my dosh because as I said I have the book - and there is no alternative to it unfortunately*, it's the sort of thing that I can live without but is so so useful to eyeball the Carbs in stuff when you eat out. And even when you eat in and can't be arsed - or forget cos it's a PITA - to weigh every morsel!

Incidentally folks, is because I'm diabetic I need to know the Carbs in stuff so I can calculate and take the right dose of insulin for it; which is a necessity - I'm absolutely NOT just being obsessive! LOL

So I'll email em and have a whinge. I know they brought out one of the platforms (either Iphone or Android, can't recall which was first) and it then took em ages to catch up and bring the other one out.

Turning now to the subject of licensing (? --cing) for Apps generally, what's the process? Do 'they' have to apply to phone manufacturers separately for every indvidual phone or is it a case of once you've got - eg a Nokia - licence, you have a Nokia licence full stop and it should then work on every Nokia phone ?

* there may be American substitutes but they eat different things or call the things different names plus they measure carbs in a different way cos they include the fibre content and we don't. This is v important for diabetics because the body doesn't need insulin to deal with carbs - if you think about it, that's fairly obvious as fibre passes straight through! LOL So having an American value is just confusing and adds to the calculation; you know what's gonna happen if you aren't concentrating or don't know - you'd take the insulin for the gross carbs which would be too much and most likely land up in an ambulance .... quite amusing - usually - in retrospect but not at the time ..... :Blush:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Practice downloading free apps before moving on to pay for ones. :Smile:

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Why on earth would you do that - if you have no need or desire for them? - the process wasn't difficult! LOL Plus of course I had a 22yo only matginally ex-teenager to guide me at the time, but once she'd told me to press 'Markets' in the first place, I didn't need her at all.

There's enough ruddy Samsung Apps pre-loaded to keep yer average idiot occupied for the best part of some time. This one despite it's hefty (ROFL) £3.99 price tag (ie about a third of the price of the book if you buy it from a bookshop) - would have been USEFUL to me.

And that is why I have a mobile phone in the first place. Because it's USEFUL when I need it - for no other reason.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ah right Brian! Thanks for that! - no I'm not Cassy

Turning now to the subject of licensing (? --cing) for Apps generally..... :Blush:

It's easier to go into market on the PC and look at all that feedback. You can't beat a BIG screen.

Licencing. It is linked to your google account, I've 3 Androids and I seem to be able to use a single paid for app on all three.

I think what you saw was some form of program glitch, their fault.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why on earth would you do that - if you have no need or desire for them? - the process wasn't difficult! LOL Plus of course I had a 22yo only matginally ex-teenager to guide me at the time, but once she'd told me to press 'Markets' in the first place, I didn't need her at all.

There's enough ruddy Samsung Apps pre-loaded to keep yer average idiot occupied for the best part of some time. This one despite it's hefty (ROFL) £3.99 price tag (ie about a third of the price of the book if you buy it from a bookshop) - would have been USEFUL to me.

And that is why I have a mobile phone in the first place. Because it's USEFUL when I need it - for no other reason.
Looks like they have sold you the male smart phone version. Take it back and ask them to change it for the female version...........Carbs and Cals:Wacko::Wacko::Wacko:

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Buttons - what is it about

" I do not want this App because I am on some diet and am being obsessive. I am diabetic and have to calculate the carbs in every morsel of food I eat - or indeed, drink I drink, so that I can then calculate the appropriate insulin dose for those carbs "

that you do not understand?

The book/App does indeed also give calories, as a matter of fact it also says how much protein and fat is in each foodstuff, but it happens to be called 'Carbs & Cals'. But I am only interested in the carbs.

I wouldn't give a stuff what was in it, if I wasn't diabetic !!!!!!!!

And MALE diabetics have to do this too, and happily have the App on THEIR phones.

I would utterly love to not have to solve a complex mental arithmetic problem every time I eat. But as it is, I do. So kindly let me get on with it, however I want to.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I think the suggestion by buttons to download free apps first before paid for ones was a valid one.

I think the idea is to TEST that everything works regarding your google account, your phone, downloading, installing and using a FREE app before spending money.

You can do it your way of course, but I think it was a valid suggestion . :Smile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Glad

After reading these posts I'm glad I've got an Iphone - was tempted to get an Android but using the Iphone is really straight forward, I think I'll stay put!

Rob:Smile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just me?

Me again,

It it just me or is 'LOL' a tad overused in a lot of postings? It's a bit of a gripe of mine - but my wife says I'm just a miserable old git!! LOL

Rob :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
my wife says I'm just a miserable old git!! LOL

Rob :winky:

I wish my wife spoke so fondly of me.

Basically, like the kiddies smilies it's a get out clause. You can take someone up an a naff post and they fire back "but I put 'LOL' or :RollEyes:".

Of course some say it is to aid non verbal communication. I say Mr Shakespeare never wrote a smilie or LOL in his plays.

Try this....

I wandered lonely as a cloud :Smile:
That floats on high o'er vales and hills, LOL
When all at once I saw a crowd,:RollEyes:
A host of golden daffodils;:Cool:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
And Again

Also, what is with all the overly large FONTS some posters insist on using ? Another thing that bugs me is people going off topic, ooops!!!

As in the immortal words of the Scottish Bard, a certain Mr. Rab C Nesbit - 'I'm Glad I'm Miserable'. (No smiley face)

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back