Santander ferry, fridge on or off?? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I haven't used the Santander ferry with a MH before (I am in August) and just wondered what you guys do about the fridge. Do you turn it off for the 20 hours trip or leave it on gas?

If you could give me some advice please?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You are not allowed to run them on-board (Fire hazard etc)...

A few hours before run it as high as you can and also put some ice packs in, and dont open the doors at all..

And your stuff will stay Frozen/cool for a lot longer than the trip takes... :thumb:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You are not allowed to run them on-board (Fire hazard etc)...

A few hours before run it as high as you can and also put some ice packs in, and dont open the doors at all..

And your stuff will stay Frozen/cool for a lot longer than the trip takes... :thumb:

Thank you for your quick reply. I guessed that was the way to do it...but sometimes you just have to ask.

Thanks again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Mate, you are supposed to switch of all gas on motorhome while on board ferry, unfortunatly this also means fridge not working either, so either go with empty fridge or you can ask for a EHU on board, and they might run an EHU to your motorhome, so you can keep fridge running all the time, but dont rely on it, i have just returned on the Santander to Plymouth ferry on the 16th may, and got an EHU ok, but i was with the lorries and the frige lorries have to have an EHU so nothing extra for the crew to hook me up, but as was over height 3.7m high and 12m long, i was to big to go where most motorhomes go and cars and caravans go, so in with the lorries, but weather they have EHUs where the cars and caravans and motorhomes go i do not know?????? but if you do get one it is the european 2 plug type you need ,the same as on any european site and u may need a longish cable to hoop up to the electric point, You must ask when you book in at port and also when you are waiting to load, ask the man/woman who has radio in there hand who are directing you to go on board, as they can thn radio the crew member (electrician) who is responsable for fixing the EHUs to vehicles. If no joy, you fridge will still be fairly ok when you get of ferry as long as you dont open the fridge or freezer a few hours before departure, ie for milk for tea/coffe etc, as 20 hours tightly closed at cold will hold for a long time, also try turning fride down to get more colder a few hours before departure again to get that extra bit of coldness in fridge freezer, just in case you dont get the EHU, and you should be ok, Beas Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its always worth asking for a hook up on that ferry. I get Siân to ask with her big smile and it almost always works. Just in case the smile doesn't work we make sure we've eaten anything valuable, we ensure the fridge is very cold, and put freezer packs on the shelves. This way the milk, cheese and drink stays cool and fresh enough.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just came back from Bilbao last week. We used the hook up on board
both going out and coming back but it may show reversed polarity on your van.
A deckhand said the plugin as they call it was free but they are looking at a
charge shortly, thought so.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just came back from Bilbao last week. We used the hook up on board
both going out and coming back but it may show reversed polarity on your van.
A deckhand said the plugin as they call it was free but they are looking at a
charge shortly, thought so.

Bit of a downer if they do start to charge...:Blush:

For what electric we would use dont cost much as they generate their own.. :RollEyes::Sad:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
wonder why there is none on the train

I wonder why there is none on the train (Tunnel) ... all that power they have .. think they could spare a bit.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Smile:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Dont forget that if you have not got tea and coffe making facilities in your cabin, you wont be able to make a cup of tea/coffe, so take small electric ketttle /tea bags /coffe/suger with you and cups of coarse and spoon, but electric has only 2 pin euro plug in cabins so those with 3 pin british plugs may need an adapder, dont forget it. Also internet available on board AT A COST, but dont forget your charger (2 pin again need adapter) as if battery goes low you have had it. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Dont forget that if you have not got tea and coffe making facilities in your cabin, you wont be able to make a cup of tea/coffe, so take small electric ketttle /tea bags /coffe/suger with you and cups of coarse and spoon, but electric has only 2 pin euro plug in cabins so those with 3 pin british plugs may need an adapder, dont forget it. Also internet available on board AT A COST, but dont forget your charger (2 pin again need adapter) as if battery goes low you have had it. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Garry, You are a mine of helpful information, I am at the moment in Spain we are travelling up through France (end July) and then tour UK (August) up as far as the Peak district, then weave down to Plymouth and take the ferry back to Santander. I have travelled on that ferry before but not with a MH so all your advice is VERY helpful.

Thanks again.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its always worth asking for a hook up on that ferry. I get Siân to ask with her big smile and it almost always works. Just in case the smile doesn't work we make sure we've eaten anything valuable, we ensure the fridge is very cold, and put freezer packs on the shelves. This way the milk, cheese and drink stays cool and fresh enough.

Thats sexist Jim, taking advantage of a young ladies charms

:RollEyes:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Fridges on santander ferry.

[Hi we went on ferry in March, forgot to turn fridge off and as its automatic it would have switched over to gas. When we went before we were asked to turn it off everything stayed frozen. We just forgot this time and no one seem to check

QUOTE=Billy23;599868]I haven't used the Santander ferry with a MH before (I am in August) and just wondered what you guys do about the fridge. Do you turn it off for the 20 hours trip or leave it on gas?

If you could give me some advice please?[/QUOTE]

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Garry, You are a mine of helpful information, I am at the moment in Spain we are travelling up through France (end July) and then tour UK (August) up as far as the Peak district, then weave down to Plymouth and take the ferry back to Santander. I have travelled on that ferry before but not with a MH so all your advice is VERY helpful.

Thanks again.:thumb:

Thanks mate, this is what the site is all about helping each other to do what we all love doing no matter what type of transport you have, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back