Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have just read flatpackchicken's post about using the fridge on the ferry to Santander (which we found very interesting):thumb:
We are going to Brittany later on in the summer, but we have a question about our EHU cable.
Would we need to get a completely new EHU cable for use on French sites, or is there a suitable adaptor that we can get to use with the one we have at the moment, in order to connect it up in France?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Bill & Margaret

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Plenty of adaptors available.. but I made my own many years ago when we first ventured abroad
Went to B & Q and bought a suitable female plug end ( the same as the standard one that is on your EHU cable... The end that it the same way round as the one you normally plug in to the van ) and connected a short bit of 3 core wire to it.. When we got to France bought a standard French plug and wired that on tother end of my short bit.. Job done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
John Cross Motorhomes sell them

JCM sells the little pig tails which goes from the blue connector to the French two pin type. Some sites still use that sort (in fact the one we are going to on the 5th June still do) ... a lot of sites have the 3 pin normal blue type.

We have an automatic reverse polarity unit fitted that sorts out any iffy EHU trees.

Bob

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Years ago we bought 2 short adapters, then I changed the wiring in one to cope with reverse polarity, and then marked which one was normal and which one reversed. I'm not sure now if I remember which was which, it's a while since I've used them.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is one way of doing it

Years ago we bought 2 short adapters, then I changed the wiring in one to cope with reverse polarity, and then marked which one was normal and which one reversed. I'm not sure now if I remember which was which, it's a while since I've used them.

That is one way of doing it.. But I know Vanbitz does a couple of units... one you switch according to the light colour shown and the other does it automatically ... we had our automatic unit fitted by them.. does what it says on the tin.

Bob

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
That is one way of doing it.. But I know Vanbitz does a couple of units... one you switch according to the light colour shown and the other does it automatically ... we had our automatic unit fitted by them.. does what it says on the tin.

Bob

Hi Bob, presumably these units are on-board and fitted in-line to the mains trip box.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)

We have these for the continental post/trees and another British connector pigtail with reversed connections. Several of the sites we have visited have 'our' sockets on posts but wired incorrectly. You can't even rely on them being the same on one post!! :Doh:
Continental electricians don't understand our hang-up over polarity.

Brian

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
This is what people usually get.

Link Removed

However, any time we have been stuck, the site has always had an adaptor we could borrow. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have these for the continental post/trees and another British connector pigtail with reversed connections. Several of the sites we have visited have 'our' sockets on posts but wired incorrectly. You can't even rely on them being the same on one post!! :Doh:
Continental electricians don't understand our hang-up over polarity.

Brian
thats because we still insist on single pole switching... Europeans use double pole switching.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Have just read flatpackchicken's post about using the fridge on the ferry to Santander (which we found very interesting):thumb:
We are going to Brittany later on in the summer, but we have a question about our EHU cable.
Would we need to get a completely new EHU cable for use on French sites, or is there a suitable adaptor that we can get to use with the one we have at the moment, in order to connect it up in France?
Bill & Margaret

You should already have the blue 16 amp European plug and socket on your cable, which is widely used in France Spain,Portugal,Germany......so all you need is this connection to fit any other type used in France the normal 2 pin plug

Link Removed

and buy one of these to check polarity
Link Removed

to plug into one of these
Link Removed

If you look on Ebay you will most likely find them cheaper, these links are just as a example
Mel

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
EHU France (Europe)

Bill & Margaret

All the caravan accessory shops sell the 2pin Euro to 3pin UK adaptor which you may need for around a fiver.
Also for the same cost you can purchase a reverse polarity adaptor.
Although some people do not bother.
A simple plugin adaptor to check for correct polarity and earth is arounf ÂŁ10

Regards

Malc

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
A very big "thank-you" to everyone who has replied to our question. Your expert help is very much appreciated and great to know there is so much expertise on this forum:thumb:

We are now a lot wiser than we were earlier on this afternoon, many thanks to everyone again.

Bill & Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back