Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was emailed a story today about a motorhomer robbed recently at French Port shopping centre. It seems they lost lost all their portable valuables, laptop, camera etc.

I am always very wary at supermarkets, especially those near the ports. The thieves just lie in wait, see us come in with our rich pickings and they know they have at least half an hour to rob us while we shop.

Be very careful, park in as busy area as possible. Often its best if you leave someone in the motorhome, but if you must shop together, do ensure that you are prepared to lose anything you leave behind! I have a small shoulder bag (rucksack type) that I will put laptops and cameras, camera cards and we split passports, cash and cards between us. (normally already done) this sounds like a bit of a palaver but its automatic and we do ii in seconds, I then clip the bag to the shopping trolley and I feel better that should shit happen at least I'm not losing the important stuff.

When leaving the motorhome we ensure its alarmed, (Don't do it casually, make a scene of it with an extended arm, I've done this when we haven't even had a working alarm!) we then walk off to the centre. Often while Siân is starting to fill her shopping trolley, i'll find a vantage point and watch the motorhome for a few minutes. Because its in those first few minutes that they will try and break in. Robbers have been known to follow you in to the store, just to make sure you are committed to that shopping.

Thieves are brazen and its amazing how no-one takes any notice, even if the thieves make entry through an open skylight or the alarm sounds, they will be in and out quickly. That's why its important to leave nothing behind you don't want to lose, let the insurers deal with the rest. Let's not make it easy for them this season:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thats good advice .

I guard the van when we stop at motorway services at home or abroad. Hate shopping anyway or queing for cofee::bigsmile:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Excellant advice!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've attached two webbing straps to the rear bulkhead of my MH, that can be linked to the inside of the two rear doors using quick release clips. It means that if anyone broke the locks from the outside they'd still have a bugger of a job pulling the back doors open. Likewise I've attached a webbing strap to the sink unit, which links to the side door when it's shut. The straps on the doors are attached to the screws/bolts that hold their locks in place. There are various ways that you can attach your cab doors to each other or to fixed objects inside the cab - the simplest being to loop your seat belts through the internal door handles then click them shut.

A couple of years ago the Cite Europe MH park at Calais was crawling with shifty-looking economic migrant types lurking in the trees, along with begging children who were clearly being organised by older blokes. It definitely felt uncomfortable parking there then. Now that the makeshift migrant camp at Calais has been cleared, and the bottom of the car park has been fenced off I've not see anything to worry me on recent visits there.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
We always shop seperately ever since a security guard at a shopping mall in Poitier warned us about gippos nicking vans and breaking them for scrap/spares :cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We always shop seperately ever since a security guard at a shopping mall in Poitier warned us about gippos nicking vans and breaking them for scrap/spares :cry:

Sounds good advice! However, I can imagine Bill taking it a step further, he sits in the van watching, whilst I queue up to do the shopping:RollEyes:

Or we might just a sticker saying "Dobermann on board"!!:thumb:
Margaret:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
good advice.:thumb:.. i was told by a Gendame last year to park in a conspicuous place that can easily be seen from the main entrance of the supermarket.:thumb:
also,
after entering the shop return to the motorhome or at least view it after about 10 / 15 mins ( as you say they lay in wait ) and this will warn them off.:thumb:

and

Always, always arm the alarm and make it obvious its armed..:thumb:

ive taken to this routine in UK also Paronoia perhaps:Eeek:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just do as the Dutch do.

They shop at home and NEVER buy anything when on vacation, no shopping = no risks but also no spending:Smile:

Before the Euro, when the Dutch went to Italy and the local children asked why the camping cars and caravans were prefixed with NL, their parents responded "Niente Lira"

Good advice and habits we need to adopt if we want to keep our "things"

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just do as the Dutch do.

They shop at home and NEVER buy anything when on vacation, no shopping = no risks but also no spending:Smile:

Before the Euro, when the Dutch went to Italy and the local children asked why the camping cars and caravans were prefixed with NL, their parents responded "Niente Lira"

Good advice and habits we need to adopt if we want to keep our "things"

Do you mean you would even dare to try to keep a woman away from the shops, especially abroad??:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Margaret:roflmto:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Phil D - I was told by a Gendarme last year to park in a conspicuous place that can easily be seen from the main entrance of the supermarket

The guy whose MH was robbed was parked at the side of Hotel de Police. (50.938027,1.809499)

Put French Police and Inspector Clouseau in the same sentence!

:france::france::france:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Phil D - I was told by a Gendarme last year to park in a conspicuous place that can easily be seen from the main entrance of the supermarket

The guy whose MH was robbed was parked at the side of Hotel de Police. (50.938027,1.809499)

Put French Police and Inspector Clouseau in the same sentence!

:france::france::france:

:Eeek: not good :Eeek:

i guess we dont know if the motorhome alarm was armed or even had one:cry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i do feel for those involved.... i guess hindsite is a wonderfull thing:Blush:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Jims advice as always is invaluable. I often take a basket bypassing the shopping "skip" and return the basket in a few minutes when the scumbag that was clocking me thinks that I will only be a few minutes. Swap the basket for a trolley once you've been rejected as a target.

Also It is worth keeping a old wallet with a couple of out of date credit cards and a couple of store cards with a little loose change in.

Some one wants your wallet, make a little fuss and then hand it over! I have yet to hear of a mugger that stops to check the content as he doesn't take American Express:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, everyone should read Jims excellent book on motorhome security, and any one that has bought it, re-read it, as so much you forget until it is too late!

Eddie

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
J

Also It is worth keeping a old wallet with a couple of out of date credit cards and a couple of store cards with a little loose change in.

Some one wants your wallet, make a little fuss and then hand it over! I have yet to hear of a mugger that stops to check the content as he doesn't take American Express:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, everyone should read Jims excellent book on motorhome security, and any one that has bought it, re-read it, as so much you forget until it is too late!

Eddie

They were always called Muggers wallet, I termed the phrase 'Mugs' wallet as the Mugger that takes it is a Mug::bigsmile: In the Motorhomers security Handbook this wallet gets mentioned a lot, but it's best use is against burglars rather than muggers. Keep the Mugs wallet somewhere where it can be easily seen once the toerag is in your motorhome. But ensure it cannot be seen from outside or it might be an inducement to rob you.

The idea is the mugger is full of adrenalin and is overwhelmed at the sight of your mugs wallet that appears to be a jackpot find of cash and cards. The reality is the wallet, if its like mine, is chock full of old receipts, expired credit ,store and membership cards, a few fivers, and some fake homer simpson US dollars.

A good internal siren and a mugs wallet and you can almost guarantee anything else you've got hidden away will not be found or even searched for, the mug will run with your wallet::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back