Thetford C-250 Cassette STUCK! (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Bit of a drama this evening. All packed and due to go to France tomorrow, but discovered when I went to add toilet fluid to the Thetford C-250 cassette, it was stuck in situ!

Used the van last month and everything was working fine then.

Something has gone mechanically wrong with the blade opening-and-closing mechanism. The blade appears to have come adrift from its mounting.

To begin with, does anybody have any suggestions how I can remove the jammed casette please. It's difficult to see how anything can be repaired with it in place.

Thanks for any urgent assistance.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i dont see how you can get to the thing that opens the blade with the cassette in under the loo but it will be the blade opener that is causing it to stick.

maybe get someone to open/close the blade lever on the loo whilst you try to pull the cassette out.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mike, if the valve is closed and you are raising the locking lever high enough there is nothing I can think of that should stop it, so give it a good pull and it should come out.

If the valve/opening is not closed or will not close, pop some disposable gloves on and lubricate the seal with a little vaseline or soap and see if it closes then:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Andy

You were dead right! The problem was that the internal operating lever would not open sufficiently to release the cassette.

BUT, with much more fiddling about I've managed to get the cassette out - HURRAH! :winky:

Now I need to see if I can repair the blade and get it back in position and working on the cassette. Any more help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Andy

You were dead right! The problem was that the internal operating lever would not open sufficiently to release the cassette.

BUT, with much more fiddling about I've managed to get the cassette out - HURRAH! :winky:

Now I need to see if I can repair the blade and get it back in position and working on the cassette. Any more help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Lubricate it Mike, or better still replace the seal, sounds like its had it. A new seal is not too expensive, about a tenner I think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
leave the blade open and put a roll of clingfilm by the pan.

after each use stretch new film over the pan and leave until next use.

REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE FILM FIRST :Eeek:

sorry, couldnt resist. :Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the only thing i can think of is the lever was not in the fully closed position when you put the cassette back in last time and thus turned the flap and jammed it.

any local caravan spares dept will have a selection of parts for these cassettes or even a fresh up kit that contains a cassette, seat and lid and some chem for a price.

just check the lever in the van is in the correct position before re fitting the cassette.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
leave the blade open and put a roll of clingfilm by the pan.

after each use stretch new film over the pan and leave until next use.

REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE FILM FIRST :Eeek:

sorry, couldnt resist. :Blush:

Sounds like a good emergency solution. :whatthe:

Found the instructions how to dismantle the mechanism on the casette now, but can't get the top to budge.

Will probably buy a new cassette somewhere en route to the tunnel tomorrow if possible - and see if I can get the existing one repaired under warranty - the van's only 18 months old.

Thanks so much for all the help, by the way - really appreciated!! Ta very much!!

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Quick update.

The good news is that at about half-past midnight, I finally managed to repair the blade mechansism and get it working again - PHEW!

So, having done some more tests this morning, I think we're going to chance our luck with it.

But thanks again for all the suggestions, which gave me the encouragement and confidence to continue to try to fix it! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back