Chausson and Fiamma Awning Woes (1 Viewer)

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi all,

I have a Chausson Allegro 94 low profile and a Fiamma Zip awning fitted.

Due to the low profile and shape of the roof the awning is fitted more or less level with the top of the hab door. This means that the awning has to be horizontal when sited to allow the door to open fully. I would prefer the awning to tilt down slightly and naturally in order that side panels etc could be fitted and also to stop the hab door continually hitting the awning arm due to insufficient clearance....

I really need to raise the awning fixings to give more clearance over the hab door.

I have tried John Cross but no official adaptor plates are available.

Has anyone got over this problem by fabricating a bracket that will raise the awning body higher?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Something like Link Removed, might help.:winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
OP
OP
P

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
i suppose it depends on just how the brackets are fitted to the side of the van.

if they are bolted through and like one of these http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-F...s/Fiamma-Adapter-Kit-AS-300cm-350cm-and-400cm

then maybe it could be removed re drilled at the bottom of the bracket and re fitted utilising the existing holes in the van side i know it wouldn't give much but it may give a couple of inches.

Thanks i gave this some thought, but i need to move the awning body out and up to clear the roof fairing (bodywork) the existing bracket, the one you linked, has the bottom edge just above the hab door and the top edge just below the roof fairing....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a fitting kit for low roof vans that mounts the awning above roof height, however they mount on the side of the roof.

just off the top of my head, you could make up some alloy plates that use the current holes in the van wall, then fix the brackets to the top of the plates. spray them white and they would look like an original part:thumb: would need to use 9mm plate alloy to avoid bending under pressure as the awning flexes

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Before you start drilling holes in your van I would suggset you call Glen, my service manager and ask him, if he does not know, no-one will

01-580-881288 and ask for workshop.

Peter

OP
OP
P

Philb

Free Member
Aug 3, 2011
Carmarthen Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Before you start drilling holes in your van I would suggset you call Glen, my service manager and ask him, if he does not know, no-one will

01-580-881288 and ask for workshop.

Peter

No worries, i,m not going to dril any new holes in the body, any more fabrication would have to utilise the existing holes....

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
without starting a RV v European war

Something like Link Removed, might help.:winky:

Without setting out to fight another battle in the RV v Europeans.. It is interesting that RV's us the A & E or similar system that allows awnings to be set at different heights.. normal using the getter rails. Plus there is as shown in Super Mikes post roller wheels to make sure the tab door does not damage the fabric.

My own RV door has rounded corners and we can push the arms up higher and still have a slant on them to let rail run off and keep the doorway clear. The arms on the A & E are very strong and tend to be able to stay out with a strap tie down in most weather.. It is not often we have to take it in.

It would seem good if Fiamma thought about beefing up there equipment, they know they are used in the UK and the weather can be a bit fickle..

I would have thought making a few metal brackets to change the angle would not be that hard to be. Just a case of thinking outside the box.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back