saving up for my first motor home (1 Viewer)

matt86

Free Member
May 21, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
i know nothing about motorhomes at the moment im new to this. just wondering how much ill need to save to get a reliable one .im looking to live in it full time .looking to buy a second hand one.how cheap can you get a reliable van for?what are the best and most reliable vans out there? any advise will be great thanks you guys :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
how long is a bit string?

i know nothing about motorhomes at the moment im new to this. just wondering how much ill need to save to get a reliable one .im looking to live in it full time .looking to buy a second hand one.how cheap can you get a reliable van for?what are the best and most reliable vans out there? any advise will be great thanks you guys :Smile:

Welcome to the forum...

My first thought was how long is a bit of string.

What a motorhome costs is relevant to the condition and what you perceive as being reliable.

Is a motorhome a van? well some are just commercial van conversions while others have a habitation area grafted on to the back ... some more grand than others.

I would suggest you take a look on Ebay, but a few motorhome magazines and you will soon get an idea of what you can get for the money...

You have not indicated the budget you are looking at? .. it could go from a few thousands to one hundred and fifty grand... but you need to have some idea of the size vehicle you want, the number of berths (beds it has)... how dated do you want? some of the earlier models are great... but some just want the latest shape or design.

Do a lot of research.. then do more... add a fair slice more money for the extras you will needs.... they is a lot of gear to get unless you can buy one that is ready to roll.

Anyway good luck... oh the best money you will part with is the £10 to join the forum.. it is well worth paying to get so much information.

Bob

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
My thought is you would need about £14 TO 18k for this you should be able to purchase a reasonable older Hymer or such that will be winterised, and have enough comforts for living, if you are single that should give you enough room, have a look around e bay etc, have a think what you want it for, here Europe of both, if mainly UK then it would be a advantage to have a fully winterised one.

Then look for one with what I call the toys on it, good solar panel, bike rack, roll out awning, all cost a lot but if you can get them already on a van, thats a good saving, think of the questions you need to ask, lots of different views on here, good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Matt as Bob says you have a lot of homework to do then decide on your budget.:thumb:All vans are based on commercial/work vehicles and as such they are pretty reliable depending on age.Most motor homes do not do a lot of miles so it is not unusual to find 10 / 15 yr old vans with 50.000 miles on -barely run in -your budget will determine the age and or model you want.
You did say live in full time so one person can get away with a small CB (COACH BUILT) or a PVC (panel van conversion) but normally people who FT want more room.IF you are handy you could always convert a van yourself :thumb:
Link Removed
Or there are a few converters advertise on ebay that will do the job for you - you buy the van and they charge you for what you want putting into it,-that could get you a newer van for not a lot of money,but remember they will charge you the same to convert a old van as a new one so look at a newer van if possible.The same applies if you convert one yourself,say 4/5 yr old van at the right money then conversion -good luck on whatever you decide and just ask away for anything you are unsure on ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back