Help, Advise, Comments - Whatever !! (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Joined this site last July thinking it was imminent that we were about to buy a motorhome. :Smile:
However things happen and it never came off, but now we are ready.::bigsmile:

Iv'e had 10 months to look on line and read various things on here and elsewhere, quickly came to the descision that it was going to be a Hymer, like the look, particularly the older ones as i think they look "retro" like the old VW campers.

Now the thing is it must have a U shaped lounge, I like the bar version, various other things i would like it to have. Keep coming back to a 694.

Tomorrow we are going to motorhome importers uk at Halifax to view one that seems to fit the bill.

Has anybody had dealings with them ?
Have a look at the add if you have time, comments and advice would be welcomed.

Think i have done a lot of research, downloaded Buyers guide to the Kindle, got a print out of the pre- delivery inspection checklist plus one i made up myself but i'm sure there are things you can come up with.

Thanks in anticipation :thumb::thumb:

ps. I do have a big enough drive in which to park it.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
To be honest I think you would be better off looking for a classic Mercedes/Hymer rather than a Fiat.

The Mercedes chassis is better built than the Fiat/Alco and the early Mercs are pretty much bullet proof.

You may have to go Left Hand Drive for the Merc. but it's worth it.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks Littlest Hobo.

Would love the Merc and only read good things about them - I expect to get a LHD, saw a comment once that it's easier to drive a LHD over here than a RHD abroad.

Thing is we need to start looking, my wife has a disability (something which affects her balance) so once we start looking we will be able to see how she would cope with being in a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a 694 on a fiat and have owned it for 9 years can honestly say

its been the best thing we ever bought i have nothing but praise for it.

I would say that we probabley would have got the merc had we

been able to at the time but this one came up and we have never had any

regrets .its been reliable and we have been to spain and france many times

never had any problems .

If you have any questions about the 694 i will try to be of any help i can.
:thumb:
Best of luck in your search :thumb::thumb:

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
hi pauly p
i have had a look at the hymer and it looks like a good van for the money. Dont let your heart rule your pocket. Once you have bought a motorhome your lives will change for the better,if you do not believe me just read some of the post on this forum. You will always never be sure of buying your first van and you can listen to a lot of good advice on this forum and there is a lot of really good and well experienced people giving you all unbiased knowledge of there own experiences. I thought i had the best van for me but have seen another that i hope to look at next week, you will always enjoy what you have got but in most cases once you have got the bug it is addictive. I love my motorhome and sure you will love yours when you get it. Dont be afraid to ask any questions they will all be answererd Good Luck
P.S. Get your hair cut:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always dreamt of the Hymer 660 ever since I was (in a previous life) camping in a tent with my young family in the rain and cold in the New Forest and would see the wealthy set put up in them. How I longed for one... :Smile:

Now I have one... the same age as the ones I looked at all those years ago. Mine has been wonderful for Frankie and me to tour in (off site parking)...

It is VERY retro (which I love).

Mine came from Ikonic Kampers of Hull...

JJ :Cool:

Attachments

• sao domingos 4.jpg
    sao domingos 4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 45
  • sao domingos 5.jpg
    sao domingos 5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I'm not knocking the Fiat but if you are looking at classic Hymers, I believe you get more bang for your bucks with a Merc. I also believe that the early Hymers are better built than the Later ones.

My 2003 Starline 640 on a Merc.412 will be up for sale soon if you're interested.

All the Hymers I've owned have been Mercs and LHD so I would say it's true, that driving in the UK especially on the narrow roads in the west country is a lot easier with LHD.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi JJ

You sound like I feel about the older hymers, Ikonic Kampers have had a couple of beauties over the last 10 months when i wasn't in a position to do anything about it.

Looking forward to getting one if it suits our needs and the price is right.

When i do get one i'll prob be on here a lot calling for 'help' - how does this work or what is this, know i'll always get good replies.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When you get one we will have to have a mini-meet at the Etihad (plenty of space in the not yet developed car parks)... we can watch the Derby together (Blue Mooner, Mondo and Scek will call in)...

(and you can play some sad, reflective Dylan songs to help you recover from the sadness you feel after another City victory... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

Seriously though... have you told the guys at Ikonic what you are looking for? I believe they have their contacts who will know what is coming up before they start advertising...

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
When you get one we will have to have a mini-meet at the Etihad (plenty of space in the not yet developed car parks)... we can watch the Derby together (Blue Mooner, Mondo and Scek will call in)...

(and you can play some sad, reflective Dylan songs to help you recover from the sadness you feel after another City victory... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

Seriously though... have you told the guys at Ikonic what you are looking for? I believe they have their contacts who will know what is coming up before they start advertising...

Always plenty of space in the Etihad (translated to United) ::bigsmile: car parks as most City fans dont bother to turn up - loads of empty seats, unless they are playing us.
Next weekend they arer playing a proper sport on that ground - not something a footballer would take part in.:cry::cry:

Saw your pics it looks brill, great idea about Ikonic will be on their site and will be giving them a call this week.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this one below has been put on ebay today -no idea if it is suitable but I do not think itwill be around long
Link Removed
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now I have one... the same age as the ones I looked at all those years ago.

The really cute thing about JJ's Hymer is the speedo with it's original Roman numerals. The downside, the owner's manual is in Latin.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thank Sillybug, Edgy - wish i had hair to cut, used to have a hairstyle like Dylan but ti's long gone.:Sad::Sad:

Terry - had a look at ebay unfortunaely it's a 4 berth, needs to be 5 minimum. Not for the 2 of us plus 2 little dogs but wife insists son / daughter may want to borrow it and they both 3 children.

Hilldweller - didn't realised JJ was that old !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thank Sillybug, Edgy - wish i had hair to cut, used to have a hairstyle like Dylan but ti's long gone.:Sad::Sad:

Terry - had a look at ebay unfortunaely it's a 4 berth, needs to be 5 minimum. Not for the 2 of us plus 2 little dogs but wife insists son / daughter may want to borrow it and they both 3 children.

Hilldweller - didn't realised JJ was that old !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:the drop down bed would easy fit 3 children in it ::bigsmile: Only seen fiat base/pugs and a old tranny based one (never knew they did a tranny)
terry

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Not sure of the legality of carrying 5 people in a vehicle made for 4 - seat belts etc.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Got the chance to look at a couple of Hymers today, need to know how my other half felt about them, this morning looked at a hymer mercedes 660 and then the 964 with U shaped lounge and bar version.

She prefered the 964 layout as do i :Smile: and liked the retro look of the older hymers.::bigsmile: The merc needed a complete re-upholster and was a bit tatty.

The 964 was much better, seemed to be more roomier, didn't spend much time there so i am going back in the morning for a much closer look and a drive, think it needs a few thing to be done but not to much, just cosmetic.

If, after a closer inspection, a few of the faults i see can be put right then ther may be a deal to be done. :thumb:
Thank for all the advice.
Emailed Ikonik Kampers, nothing in at the moment but if this one doesn't come off then i'll keep on looking.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
The Hymer 694 is a superb piece of kit, had mine 9 years and never regretted it, but just changed to an RV for even more space. Although some favour the Merc chassis it does not ride as well as the 6 leg ALKO, especially with the rack in use, and for the 694 layout the Fiat is unbeatable (IMHO). I have looked at the one at 'importers' and it looks clean and the mileage is low - if you could get it for £15k you would have a bargain. Good luck and enjoy it when you get it, I do not know of a better layout than the bar and rear U as you have separate seating areas that allow you to have space and 'time apart' if necessary. The cooking, bathroom and sleeping facilities are also up to the best offered by other manufacturers whose products often seem to wear out or suffer damp, especially in the floors, that the early Hymers avoid. Just be aware that the lubrication of the ALKO axles is critical and must be done with the weight off the wheels! Also check if the cambelt has been changed - should be done at 50k or 5 years, £200 job at C&M in Lancaster much more at some other places.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for that Phil.:Smile:

Went up this morning with my newly aquired damp meter, spent a good hour on my own going over it and could only find minor things, couple of light bulbs not working and a sticking blind, it needs 2 new tyres but they will be done.

Didn't get the price down as low as you said but thought i got a reasonable deal with 6 months road tax added. So i now have a Hymer 964 Tag Axle.
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Going to Menorca on Friday for a week so it will be ready to pick up on the 3rd of June, my early birthday present for the 12th.

Now the fun starts, gotta work out how it all works,:Doh: so i will be asking a lot of questions in the future.:shout::shout:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Glad to hear you have found your new toy, bet you can't wait till collection time.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Glad to hear you have found your new toy, bet you can't wait till collection time.

Your spot on ther Dave, relaxing week in Menorca:roflmto: (apart from Son and family, 3 grandchildren) prob not so relaxing,:RollEyes: then i'll have my new toy to play with ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Just looking at various insurances and will then start to ring round.

Wife just said " I suppose you will be popping out for a drink soon" wasn't going to bother but you dont turn down an opportunity like that so i suppose i'd better go :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back