Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Before removing the entire unit I took off the mica window this morning to see what was actually happening and realised immediately that despite what the man at Truma technical department toold me there is a main burner!!! The problem seems to be that the tip of the thermocouple has burnt out and is not making the connection needed to allow the main burner to light. Does anyone know if this can be changed without removing the entire fire?

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
jj where are you

Before removing the entire unit I took off the mica window this morning to see what was actually happening and realised immediately that despite what the man at Truma technical department toold me there is a main burner!!! The problem seems to be that the tip of the thermocouple has burnt out and is not making the connection needed to allow the main burner to light. Does anyone know if this can be changed without removing the entire fire?

think JJ is the man where are you

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This is a little modern for me...

I took out my Hymer 660 (1987) heater to service and repair it and that made the job very straightforward... Once I learnt how to remove and replace the complete heater I discovered how easy it is (and quick)...

Photos of the Tramp heater and location would help... but then your heater is probably all modern and piled high with bells and whistles... then I would have to consult the real experts like John Cross or Geo or Vanbitz or CLS or .. or... or... (all Funsters of course)

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
There's always one...

I got underneath and disconnected the gas, then started to undo the four nuts which hold the fire in place, but of course there hads to be one which rotated without undoing. I'm assuming there must be a nut on the other end, so I've blasted the offending nut with WD 40 in the hope that when I've located and tightened the other nut this one will start to move.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
JJ, I think we may have the same heater as my van is 1988 and it's an SL3002, which Hymer in this couintry had never heard of when I rang.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ, I think we may have the same heater as my van is 1988 and it's an SL3002, which Hymer in this couintry had never heard of when I rang.

well I have a 5002 and a 1800...

I think yours is a "single"... the 5002 is two heaters joined together side by side...

So..

The thermo couple (which warms up and operates the gas supply valve and switches off the gas if the flame goes out) starts at the burner (bottom) end and the connected "wire" goes to the control valve (also at the bottom)...

I am sure you can get a suitable replacement... The "wire" screws into the control valve ... If you still are stuck and this (temporary and mad) work load of mine eases, I will post some piccies... I "bodged" one unit because the burner end of the "wire" (with the sensor which has burned out on yours) fitted but the other end's nut thread was wrong... I cut it off and joined the old threaded nut to the new "wire"... worked perfectly.

You have a beautiful and easy to service heater (imo)

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back