Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
handy site

I have registered my interest in the class 3 /4 large RV and trailer... which is not covered yet, but who knows.

but good link.. useful.

Bob

OP
OP
S

stagman

Deleted User
I have registered my interest in the class 3 /4 large RV and trailer... which is not covered yet, but who knows.

but good link.. useful.

Bob

My Autotrail has a GVW of 4.1 tonnes but height is less than 3mtrs ,and have gone through tolls in the past and payed class 2 fares , not sure if I could risk it with the Tag .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I find that the easiest way, is not to use the toll roads at all, and the scenery is better.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
S

stagman

Deleted User
I find that the easiest way, is not to use the toll roads at all, and the scenery is better.

I agree but if you only have a limited amount of time for your break and need to get down to say S.France then it saves a lot of time .

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I find that the easiest way, is not to use the toll roads at all, [HI]and the scenery is better.[/HI]

Not always Pete, the A75 from Clermont Ferrand to the coast is one exception, and it's free apart from the bridge.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we travel to the South often

Not always Pete, the A75 from Clermont Ferrand to the coast is one exception, and it's free apart from the bridge.

We travel to the South often.. but due to the high costs of tolls RV and trailer we tend to stay off the motorways.. free from Calais to exit 29 then we hit the A roads.. coming back on just after Clermont Ferrand.. we duck around Millau.. much easier since the bridge being built.. less traffic.. or we head in land and aim for Mende and drop down... OK a few hills and the fuel gauge drops with the load.. but great views over the Tarn Gorge .... now and then get to look, but lots of hairpin bends.. lots of work on the auto gearbox as well.. But we have now got it down to €8 if we use the bit of motorway around Clermont Ferrand.. less if we use the town it's self....

Seen a few interesting back rounds of some towns at 2 a.m. The satellite seems to work out where we are and it has got the RV and trailer (45' in total) through with no real problems... but we save a fortune on tolls and we can get fuel at night on automatic fuel pumps using the Caxton FX pre loaded card.. lot cheaper than the toll roads fuel.

But the site is useful for the sub 3.5 ton european ice cream vans.

Bob:Blush:

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Came across this not sure if it's been covered before but thought it may be usefull for less abled drivers or drivers travelling alone , https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/ :thumb:

We have 2 Liberte 'doofers' from the Alis section of French Autoroutes a class 1 for just the car and a class 2 for the car and caravan. We have found them to be very good and so convenient, no need to stop and sort out change just drive up to the barrier and it opens automatically and we are on our way.
The toll charges are then taken out of our French bank account at the end of the following month. Which means that the money can be in our account nearly 2 months longer and earning interest.
There is no charge for usage and I believe that you can now use a British bank, but don't shout at me if I'm wrong. Living in France we don't need to go through a British bank.

Dave

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK were 3.2m high so no joy, although I don't mind the few minutes rest and contact with a person on the booths as it breaks up the journey a little. It will save some serious time on the busy summer days though when you have to queue.

Good link

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Got one of these recently

Bip n Go

Similar to the UK Sanef version it has a 3m height limit although we have used it and had no issues so far. Haven't checked the invoice yet to see if I got class 2 or 3 although I know we are 3 on the manual payment lanes.

Prices look cheaper than the UK version....

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've always swapped mine between car and MH with no trouble, they'll give you extra holders just for the asking,

Malcolm

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Usefull and colourful pdf leaflet setting out the classes they charge in France Broken Link Removed
Worth noting that if you have a Blue Badge the latest ones are valid in the EU and you pay class 1 charges for class two vehicles just need to find a manned booth to flash the badge

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back