Hymer S 670 - Faulty Shower Connection (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello

After setting up the water system today (see noisy Fiamma pump thread) we had a leak.

Turned on the shower tap and after all air was expelled could hear water running, on my feet...

The trouble was it wasn't coming out of the shower head rather down the backside of the wall and out into the shower tray at the base of the wall.

Opened cupboard above the toilet and saw a removable panel under the tap. Pulled this off and there on the RH side of the tap housing had the end cap blown off. It appears to be held in place by an O ring? and not a lot more.

Pushed the cap back in and turned the tap on again, the same happened.

Tried this a third time and took photos, but as they are not hosted can't see how to include them here.

The fourth time I held the cap in place to check if the shower head was blocked, but it wasn't so that was one simple idea gone.

Has anyone had this type of shower tap assembly cause the same problem or am I missing something?

Thank you

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Photos of problem now attached

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• d1069a.jpg
    d1069a.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 35
  • d1070a.jpg
    d1070a.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
  • d1074a.jpg
    d1074a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 33
  • d1073a.jpg
    d1073a.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looking at the last photo, it appears that the end pushes in until the second ring engages. if it goes all the way in without feeling a "click" as it locates, it will be either a cracked tap body or its been stretched. basically this will require a new tap if it wont push back together. it will take quite a bit of strength to push back fully if its not damaged and may need to be removed from the sink to do this

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
looking at the last photo, it appears that the end pushes in until the second ring engages. if it goes all the way in without feeling a "click" as it locates, it will be either a cracked tap body or its been stretched. basically this will require a new tap if it wont push back together. it will take quite a bit of strength to push back fully if its not damaged and may need to be removed from the sink to do this

That's a good thought TheBig1, I'll take a look into the the housing in the morning, a mirror should reveal all.

When pushed in up until the last 1.5 - 2mm, the pressure is reasonable but smooth, but if it needs for a lip to locate in a groove and to fully close the gap between the end cap and housing it will need a fair amount of pressure that I didn't want to use initially.

Many thanks, I'll advise

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Great pictures Jamie....My Rapido waste outlet is just a pushfit the same...I know because the first trip out in the new van, we had water all running inside the lounge...Rapido "FORGOT" to push the outlet fully home:Eeek::Doh: Dipsticks :winky:

Mel

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jamie,

Can I suggest that whilst you have access, check the tightness of the jubilee clips on the hoses. I've had two blow off over the years of ownership, and found others to require tightening up, especially the hot water feed. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know if this will help but had a similar thing happen on a previous older van and could not get a part, cleaned around with alcohol and smeared with silicone sealer and pushed home lasted about 3 years till we sold van. Originally done as temp repair but as it worked so well never bothered any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Spot on TheBig1.

After first taking a close look with a small mirror there is no damage to be seen, second there is a fine recess with matching lip in the lid. That was the easy part.

Lubricated the cap and recess but would not push in at all, I am not a weakling either.
Heated the housing, more vaseline, not a chance.
Tried a G clamp, couldn't get the right purchase on the housing.
Removed the tap housing, removed the red and blue inlet pipes (more O rings and click together as the other end). Held housing down onto a wooden table at a good height to exert maximum pressure, no luck or even a hint of it.

Placed the assembly into a large vice realising the plastic is hard and brittle. We were reconciled that I had a good chance of cracking the housing by using brute force albeit gently. 5 part turns on the vice arm and click, in for good, I hope!

After reassembly tried the tap, all dry and fully functioning but will take a peek from time to time when we use the MH for real camping in a couple of weeks time.

So a big thank you again TheBig1, from the moment I read your message it was obviously simple.

And you too Peter (Johns Cross), you hinted at the same.

Mel, if it was the same diameter as this (about 30mm) I think it's the tap manufacturing factory job to push the cap home, it must have been close to cracking.

Good thought Jock, and thank you for that.

Another Funster combined effort with an excellent result.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Spot on TheBig1.

After first taking a close look with a small mirror there is no damage to be seen, second there is a fine recess with matching lip in the lid. That was the easy part.

Lubricated the cap and recess but would not push in at all, I am not a weakling either.
Heated the housing, more vaseline, not a chance.
Tried a G clamp, couldn't get the right purchase on the housing.
Removed the tap housing, removed the red and blue inlet pipes (more O rings and click together as the other end). Held housing down onto a wooden table at a good height to exert maximum pressure, no luck or even a hint of it.

Placed the assembly into a large vice realising the plastic is hard and brittle. We were reconciled that I had a good chance of cracking the housing by using brute force albeit gently. 5 part turns on the vice arm and click, in for good, I hope!

After reassembly tried the tap, all dry and fully functioning but will take a peek from time to time when we use the MH for real camping in a couple of weeks time.

So a big thank you again TheBig1, from the moment I read your message it was obviously simple.

And you too Peter (Johns Cross), you hinted at the same.

Mel, if it was the same diameter as this (about 30mm) I think it's the tap manufacturing factory job to push the cap home, it must have been close to cracking.

Good thought Jock, and thank you for that.

Another Funster combined effort with an excellent result.

Mine was done back at the dealership the next day under the 5 year warranty:thumb:...good job done Jamie::bigsmile:

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back