How level is level? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
'The fridge must be level in order to work' it says. How far off can it be? Our drive is a 10% slope so I've not bothered trying on it, but wondered what tolerance the 'fridge has to slopes. It's been so cold when we've been away that I'm not sure I'd have noticed if the fridge was working or not! Especially on gas - there seems to be nothing to indicate success other than the green light coming on when you switch it over. Do we just have to wait for it to warm up before realising we're parked on too steep a gradient?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Normally about 4-5 degrees, but I have noticed that this seems to be more relevant to side to side tilt as opposed to front to back tilt which seems more tolerant to a greater slope. We have a sloping drive and our first van was fine as the fridge was located on the back wall of the van (front to back tilt) whereas our current van will not work on the drive as the fridge is located at the side wall of the van and hence a side tilt.

Does not cause us an issue. I simply load the fridge before we are ready to set off with some ice packs then switch it on after about 10 miles.

As far as trying it, if it don't get cold then the gradient is too much.

Edit to add I just found this on the Thetford website.

How level must the refrigerator be?

If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator).

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I don't normally bother getting the levels out unless it's really obvious that we are slanting.

We have a Thetford and the manual simply states that it works better when it's level. I've never had any problems as yet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Sloping drive.

'The fridge must be level in order to work' it says. How far off can it be? Our drive is a 10% slope so I've not bothered trying on it, but wondered what tolerance the 'fridge has to slopes. It's been so cold when we've been away that I'm not sure I'd have noticed if the fridge was working or not! Especially on gas - there seems to be nothing to indicate success other than the green light coming on when you switch it over. Do we just have to wait for it to warm up before realising we're parked on too steep a gradient?

We have slighly sloping drive with van going from front to back.
First time we tried the fridge it would not work on electric but OK on gas.
Took the van back for check and all OK when asked if on sloping drive, this would be the problem.
Since always leveled the van on site and no probs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Livingthedream

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Absorption Refrigerator working or not working? Only work on level ground!!

I've had problems with the fridge working or not working when parked on a gradual slope. It works fine on level ground, so no problems when parking for overnight sleeping. The problem is when you park on a slope to visit the shops, a village, town, castle or whatever, it may or may not work. The fridge display unit shows that the fridge is working fine, gas light is lit and you can hear it working hard with heat coming out of the vents. So it looks like it is working, but it isn't and you won't know it's not refrigerating until your food has defrosted (that's what happened to me on several occasions). There is also the possibility of defrosting and re-freezing cycles occurring which could be a health and safety issue if you don't realise. My last fridge worked on my drive, the new fridge does not. I was hoping that I wasn't alone and others are experiencing similar issues. I have since contacted Thetford and Dometic requesting advice on how level these new absorption fridges should be to work. Both companies products are the same, and they both require us (motorhomers) to park level with a maximum tolerance of 3%. Sadly I've had to change the way I motorhome and the fridge has become the deciding factor of where I am able to park. Not how it used to be, where I went where I wanted and even parked on 30% slopes and never gave the fridge a thought. Car parks, layby's, road cambers and even hardstanding superpitches are built with gradual slopes so that rain water will drain away. In 80% of these situations an absorption fridge won't work.
This is a real and serious problem and I'm surprised few people have noticed this problem. You may of course have the problem but not noticed that your food has gone warm, then rechilled, or defrosted and refrozen especially in this recent cold weather. Remember that there is no visual warning on your fridge that it is not working. My advice is, if you own an absorption fridge buy a fridge thermometer and keep a close look out for defrosting. Before I forget, the advice from both of the manufacturers was 'park on level ground'.

If you own a compression fridge then this thread does not concern you. They're designed to work with 40 degree slopes so hang on to it. I wish I did.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back