Would posting a `cheque` put you off. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just tried to order an item for MH and not only is the website awful, the only way to order is to post a cheque, when it has cleared, item will be sent.

IF I could find the same item for £10-15 more and (total is £100 with p&p) could order online and pay more, I would pay it.

Can a business really survive in this day and age with such a system, I suppose they can as they are still here.

maybe I am just too impatient.

OK, off to search for a cheque book, then I need to find a pen that works, a envelope and a stamp, then i need to go out in the rain and post it..... blimey, this takes me back... ::bigsmile:

Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What is the name of the company? Someone here is bound to have dealt with them. Its rare that a website does not have some sort of online payment, unless they have only just opened. Even then it only takes a few days if you have a good credit record.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Jim, you will all have heard of them. Would be unfair to name them.

Spoke to them on the phone and that is the only way to order.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can a business really survive in this day and age with such a system, I suppose they can as they are still here.
Steve

Depends what they are selling. But I would have thought no.

If it's really essential then someone will clone it and market it properly.

This is the 21st century, instant or nothing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It all depends on the company's business model.

I immediately thought of one particular large MH spares company (which many of us will have used) when seeing this thread but it may be a different one as I think they accept card payments over the phone as well as cheques. They certainly have a web site which is (IMHO) awkward to use and don't accept on-line orders.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
It all depends on the company's business model.

I immediately thought of one particular large MH spares company (which many of us will have used) when seeing this thread but it may be a different one as I think they accept card payments over the phone as well as cheques. They certainly have a web site which is (IMHO) awkward to use and don't accept on-line orders.

It`s not a MH spares company.

That`s why I didn`t name them as it may turn into a discussion about them, their product and their business model etc.

The post is more about whether it has now become much too much trouble to pay this way and whether I am the only one who likes a good deal, a bargain, but would be prepared to pay more for the convenience.

Especially as i can`t find a bloody cheque book.

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a by the by we ONLY take payment on line ( or indeed by cheque )

I am paranoid about having peoples card numbers to hand so simply use an on line payment company.. Have done for 12 years now

There are still a few peeps who do not ( for whatever reason ) wish to pay on line and they have to send a cheque.

Also as a by the by, it never stops amazing me folk are quite happy to give a total stranger ( me in this case ) their card details and address, date of birth and mothers maiden name if I asked, yet do not trust on line payments..

Providing the site is
a) known as bona fida
b) displaying the little lock for an approved encrypted site
it will be about as secure as you can possibly get !

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
What are you buying? are you SURE we cant find it elsewhere?

Yes, pretty sure. Next best is double the price but for a better made product. But not worth the difference, not for us anyway.

Steve

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just tried to order an item for MH and not only is the website awful, the only way to order is to post a cheque, when it has cleared, item will be sent.

IF I could find the same item for £10-15 more and (total is £100 with p&p) could order online and pay more, I would pay it.

maybe I am just too impatient.

OK, off to search for a cheque book, then I need to find a pen that works, a envelope and a stamp, then i need to go out in the rain and post it..... blimey, this takes me back... ::bigsmile:

Steve
i dont have a cheque book destroyed the one we had
just dont like the supprise when its cashed months later

debit credit cards are more instant in my opinion

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Personally, I'm with Steve (the other one ^).

I much prefer online payment. It's job done quickly with the minimum of effort, and you normally get your goods much more quickly.

Also, you can normally find what you're looking for on the internet and still not pay over the odds. The trade off is usually that you pay postage and packing costs, but then you probably save a bit in fuel by not having to drive to the shop, and it's much more convenient.

On the other side of the counter, I've had some customers who are keen to use cheques as they distrust paying online. Just means they have to wait for the cheque to clear before I send out their book, and I have a small amount of extra work in remembering to check!

For me though, cheques fall into the same category as postal orders in that all of a sudden they seem just a bit "old fashioned".

And I'm looking forward to using my "tap and go" facility on my new PayPal debit card!

Steve (the other one) :Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well if cheque is the only way and there is no where else to get it then you're stuffed.
So they WILL survive wont they :roflmto:

AND
IF I could find the same item for £10-15 more and (total is £100 with p&p) could order online and pay more, I would pay it. BEGS the question

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't even have a cheque book.

My preferred payment method these days is paypal. I take most of my payments by paypal and transferring it to the bank so I can pay by debit card costs me bank charges and delays.

If it is a going to be a regular supplier I look for paypal option. If it is a one off I will either use my paypal debit card or wait for the transfer.

If it was cheque only they would be out of luck and not get the order.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
This is the bit that would make me suspicious - if it's that much cheaper, is it not too good to be true:Eeek:

Phil

No Phil, nothing suspicious.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just research the company!

It may just be that it is a small or fledgling company that cannot afford the merchant services yet - that said, businesses usually rely on Paypal in this case.

Smaller won't be vat registered as hey won't be turning over enough, and won't have the associated overheads - so they should be cheaper!

I would do some research, and take it from there. You can always ask if they have a a paypal account - they very well might that you can use as you 'cannot wait a week for the cheque to clear before dispatch' - see what they say!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why cant you do an direct bank transfer, from your bank to thiers, same as a cheque but on line...........erm:Doh:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
why cant you do an direct bank transfer, from your bank to thiers, same as a cheque but on line...........erm:Doh:

No Idea. I asked if there were any other options other than a cheque as described on website and the answer was `no`.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have a small business that I run from home. Most of the time people are quite happy to pay by cheque, because I usually ask for a deposit anyway and it will have cleared long before their order is ready.
However, for customers that I've dealt with before, I don't bother waiting for the cheques to clear and send orders off to them.
For those customers who don't use cheque books any longer (and a lot don't), they are quite happy to pay by "faster payment credit" directly into my business account.:thumb: This method only costs me around 10p per transaction.
Could you ask them if they would accept this method and hurry things along a bit?:RollEyes:

At least they would see that the funds were safely in their account.

I don't accept Paypal payments because I lose out to the hefty Paypal fees on amounts received.
Margaret

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have a small business that I run from home. Most of the time people are quite happy to pay by cheque, because I usually ask for a deposit anyway and it will have cleared long before their order is ready.
However, for customers that I've dealt with before, I don't bother waiting for the cheques to clear and send orders off to them.
For those customers who don't use cheque books any longer (and a lot don't), they are quite happy to pay by "faster payment credit" directly into my business account.:thumb: This method only costs me around 10p per transaction.
I don't accept payments through Paypal, as it costs me too much in Paypal fees.
Could you ask them if they would accept this method and hurry things along a bit?:RollEyes:
At least they would see that the funds were safely in their account.
Margaret

They have been trading a few years so I am sure they know all of the options. They obviously prefer the one they have chosen.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what would they have done for payment if the banking guru's had stuck to their original plans and stopped issuing/processing/clearing cheques when they first wanted to ?

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
what would they have done for payment if the banking guru's had stuck to their original plans and stopped issuing/processing/clearing cheques when they first wanted to ?

Exactly, they would then have been forced to offer alternatives. Just seems odd to me that any business would want to offer just one antiquated system.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have dealt with an awning manufacturer direct a couple of years ago and the only way they could deal with me is if i paid by cheque as they didnt normally deal direct with the public but with wholesale retailers.
The particular awning i had wasnt made anymore and i needed a new frame for mine after it was beaten up by a sudden strong gust of wind. They sourced one for me but i had to pay by cheque and not having any cheques had to get one from the bank.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Van Bitz don't sell on line!

Frankly we are always to busy to bugger around so we simply don't bother!

James has been banging on about ebay and has listed some products but even then, PayPal take a chunck, ebay want paying for listing and then for selling and then the customer sends it back saying that the blue one they ordered isn't suitable, as there van is red and "do you do it in red":winky:

Not eveything on the internet is as good as Motorhome Facts you know:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Eddie, do you have a website problem.

Not Found

The requested URL /category/Motorhome_Security,i.html was not found on this server.

Apache/2 Server at www.vanbitz.com Port 80

Not Found

The requested URL /product/Battery_Master_BMaster was not found on this server.

Apache/2 Server at www.vanbitz.com Port 80

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Van Bitz don't sell on line!

Frankly we are always to busy to bugger around so we simply don't bother!

James has been banging on about ebay and has listed some products but even then, PayPal take a chunck, ebay want paying for listing and then for selling and then the customer sends it back saying that the blue one they ordered isn't suitable, as there van is red and "do you do it in red":winky:

Not eveything on the internet is as good as Motorhome Facts you know:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Agree with you on the eBay charges:Blush:
I gave up listing bisque on eBay for this very reason, listing fees, final selling fees then the final clobber of the Paypal charges on the totals received. Paypal deduct 5% off all transactions received, this includes the postage that you asked for within the listing. So you're having to top that up as well:Blush:
My son put a super website together for me and I now do all business through that:thumb:
Margaret

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back