Pets (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Hi, not yet a MH owner but planing to be soon. We have two pet dogs, can anyone outline whats required for a euro trip with the dogs?
:Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi, I assume you mean the legalities.

Pet passport required from vet, this includes rabies jab.

Then before returning to UK (now within 5 days of returning), you take to vet who gives them worm tablets. That`s it as far as i understand.

Dogs must be chipped.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: Not done it ourselves but plenty on here who do it - the rules have recently or about to alter to make it even easier - so someone will be along shortly to explain all :winky:
edit see above that is my understanding
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome , our cocker spaniel travel with us all you need is a pet passport which is much easier to obtain since jan 1st 2012. look up defra site and it will give you the requirements. the cost will depend on your vet but will be anything between £100 and £250.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Have a look at this site - www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel

You will need to contact your Vet to start the process of obtaining a Pet Passport as soon as possible as it takes quite a long time to obtain the Passport.

Taking pets abroad, and bringing them back, is well worth the initial expense and once they have the official documents you and your dogs can enjoy the dog friendly countries across the Channel.

We're off in a few weeks to France with our dog for the third year and he loves it - much better than sitting in a draughty kennel for three weeks.

:france::france::france:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all replies

Thanks for all the replies

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi and welcome , our cocker spaniel travel with us all you need is a pet passport which is much easier to obtain since jan 1st 2012. look up defra site and it will give you the requirements. the cost will depend on your vet but will be anything between £100 and £250.:thumb:

Mine was about £60, no requirement to have a blood test now to see if rabies jab has `worked`, that would add another £60 ish, your vet might try and sell you one though to be on the `safe side`, mine did. They have to try and keep the revenue stream going.

I rang round all the local vets and went with the cheapest.

Upvote 0

bazil78

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
ayrshire
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi,

Please tell me I've got this wrong! I'm going on holiday to the Republic of Ireland. I don't need a pet passport do I? Is it only required if you're entering the UK from ROI?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi,

Please tell me I've got this wrong! I'm going on holiday to the Republic of Ireland. I don't need a pet passport do I? Is it only required if you're entering the UK from ROI?

Many thanks

Yes to come back, you don`t need anything to `leave` the UK, just to get back in. At least that is my understanding.

Or maybe not, take a look here....
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/countries/eu-countries/

Upvote 0

Rubytwoshoes

Free Member
Apr 29, 2012
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 500
Exp
four years
re Pets

Hiya..you will need ' pet passports' we have one for our Yorkie, Ruby. Your vet gives the dog a rabies injection and then after a few weeks , a blood test to test the level of antibodies.. its really quite simple..your dogs of course have to be microchipped..coming back into the country the dog has to be given a worming treatment by a nominated vet, but I am told there are plenty around the ports. Good luck and I hope this helps.:Cool:

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hiya..you will need ' pet passports' we have one for our Yorkie, Ruby. Your vet gives the dog a rabies injection and then after a few weeks , a blood test to test the level of antibodies.. its really quite simple..your dogs of course have to be microchipped..coming back into the country the dog has to be given a worming treatment by a nominated vet, but I am told there are plenty around the ports. Good luck and I hope this helps.:Cool:

No requirement for a blood test any more.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We didnt get checked.coming back fromthe republic of Ireland. Even thougb susie does have a passport.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
DEFRA site says no inspection needed between UK and ROI.

Pet passport procedure as of Jan 2012:
Take dog/s to vet.
Microchip
rabies jab
Vet gives you passport---all this can be done on same day.

you can leave UK the next day if you want.

You can re-enter the UK after 3 weeks from initial jab.

No blood test is needed.

to re-enter Uk, go to a vet.
dog/s given worm tablet only--don't let them sell you frontline as well!!
CHECK VET ENTERS CORRECT DATE & TIME ON PASSPORT, SIGNS AND STAMPS IT. (they do make mistakes)
Within 5 days go to ferry/tunnel.
They give you chip reader 9easy to use). Chip matches passport, they complete a sheet of paper and off you go.
I've done it a few dozen times now with 4 and not had a problem. Always check the vet enters correct details as I've had a few slip ups I've had to ask them to correct.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back