May 12, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New to this
Hi all

I've got the chance to buy a 1999 Peugeot Boxer Wayfarer camper for a good price.

The downside is that it has sat for 4 years, I'm not sure if it's been started or moved much in that time.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to check when I go and see it?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If it has not been started or moved in four years basically everything will be suspect.

Tyres, batteries, brakes definately, clutch will be stuck and engine?

it would have to be very very cheap.

Peter

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Don't know what you mean by a good price but there's one on ebay, running with MOT for £8995. Any vehicle that has stood for 4 years (or less!) will need all sorts of checks, tyres, belts,batteries, service - plus all the camper bits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all

I've got the chance to buy a 1999 Peugeot Boxer Wayfarer camper for a good price.

The downside is that it has sat for 4 years, I'm not sure if it's been started or moved much in that time.

Bearing in mind the ebay asking price for one is £9K add up your purchase price + 4 new tyres, new batteries (Leisure & vehicle) the cost of replacing all rubber hoses, as well as a cam belt change, and possible habitation repairs and your considered mh will have to be very, very low and even then it may not be resaleable,
Unless you possess the technical skills to do a lot of repairs yourself, I should leave it alone and look for a van that is currently taxed & MOT'd.

Norman

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all

Well I for one think if it is at the right price you should look at it :thumb: first check is for damp :Smile: if it is dry then start and drive it.Check that the fridge/boiler/heater works,these are around the 500/600 quid each :Eeek:Check every thing works from the blinds to the door catches beds etc, :thumb: that way you can adjust the price. You have already been told the battery's will be kn---ered and the brakes will need checking.Lots of vans stand around only moving once or twice a year so if it drives and stops ok and most important is cheap then give it serious thought--Why not see if you can sneak it in for a MOT? that way you will know what is needed mechanical wise.As already been posted £9000 for one on ebay but I have also seen them for above 12k Bear in mind the 9k one needs the same checks made before purchase-good luck,it is all about price now ?:winky:Forgot to say as soon as you get it do the timing belt :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bearing in mind the ebay asking price for one is £9K add up your purchase price + 4 new tyres, new batteries (Leisure & vehicle) the cost of replacing all rubber hoses, as well as a cam belt change, and possible habitation repairs and your considered mh will have to be very, very low and even then it may not be resaleable,
Unless you possess the technical skills to do a lot of repairs yourself, I should leave it alone and look for a van that is currently taxed & MOT'd.

Norman

Sound advice :thumb:

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Being aa Wayfarer it is Autohomes and while they were ok as campers go they did have a reputation for water ingress so check for damp first and foremost. As it has stood for four years you need to allow (as others have already said) for brakes, tyres, clutch, timing belt, anti freeze, hoses etc, etc, etc. You could easily find yourself with a cheap motorhome that will cost several thousand to put right and make roadworthy.

Our last motorhome was a 1991 Highwayman and I paid just £4K for it knowing there was a water ingress issue. We kept it for about five years and sold it on for £11K but we spent about £3K on materials (trade prices as well) and put about four hundred man hours into repairing the damp with a total reskin of the coachbuilt body and rebuilding the rear nearside quarter of the body structure, not a job for the feint hearted! Add the tyres, brakes etc and you could be buying a money pit.

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stukos

Free Member
May 12, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New to this
Thanks for all the good advice.

The price is £5k.

I'll hopefully get along to see it this week, and will check all that has been mentioned above.

It's a family friend who is selling, I just hope that it's been started or moved rather than sitting for the whole 4 years.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks for all the good advice.

The price is £5k.

I'll hopefully get along to see it this week, and will check all that has been mentioned above.

It's a family friend who is selling, I just hope that it's been started or moved rather than sitting for the whole 4 years.

Don't think you can go wrong at that price - good luck
Vic

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
provided its not rotten, the engine runs and brakes work, you should be onto a winner at that price. However a lot can go wrong with rust and perishing rubber hoses. Best case scenario is change tyres (dot to do that) new batteries, full service and cam belt will cost under £1000. So 6k and some hard work cleaning will get you on the road in your new motorhome.:thumb:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sounds like a lot of good advice

Sounds as if you have a lot of good advice from the members of the forum...

It is the best £10 any one can invest... bags of people with lots of info to hand

Bob

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back