LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
off on the 17th of june to roda de bara in spain will hope to be there for 20th so hoping for a slow non toll drive just me and my pup any advice for a couple of good stopovers and anything else that may be of help thx

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok thx checked the site thx Philippft seen that 1 before very useful site i have a poi loaded into the Garmin with loads of sites on it also wondering if i should take the route crossing into Andorra or down to the med and cross near roses i have heard the andorra route is very steep ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would take the andorra route every time . the scenery is to die for . very often dont even stop in andorra but the trip is smashing . it isnt that steep. but can be a bit disconcerting . you can feel that the van is slowing down. but enjoy the views . in summer and winter well worth it . even on misty days its a kind of spookey niceness. but been there hundreds of times still love it.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We did this route a couple of years ago..sort of via Rouen..Orleans Chateroux..Limoges..Brive..and then round Toulouse and headed for Perpignan and went down the Med coast and crossed at La Jonquera as it was in the winter and we didn't want to try the Andorra route just in case it was snow covered...Nice route bags of scenery non toll.....Have Fun...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi just past toulouse on the n20 you go past saverdun if you sneak back the other way to saverdun .there is a big rest area and picnic area. toilets water etc good place to stop for the night. also as you go through toulouse there is a big narbonne accesory camping shop on the left . very frindly in there and helpfull.
to be honest i have done the andorra route in winter ,they keep the roads clear just about all the time . lovely in the snow and skiers every where.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
tunnel now sorted for 16th june 11.35pm then will get some sleep in citi europe and start out whenever i wake and have decided best way is to just head in the right direction and maybe use the poi in the sat nav or the acsi book of sites less planning means less hassle lol
think i will take the andorra route may as well experience it or may regret not trying it
have worked out to maybe 6 hrs a day driving excluding breaks so will make barcelona in plenty of time for wednesday 20th
had a result with the tunnel my sister had a voucher from last year from tesco points had to be used by 29th july got it transferred for myself and apart from paying for the pup £30 thats all it cost saved around £150 so will use that on some cold vino lol

Last edited:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi I know you are traveling in summer but just to say if you go through Andora in winter you will need snow chain's to travel on some roads more of a legal requirement as the roads are well gritted more of a just in case :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
lol ok thx if i like andorra that much and decide to stay till winter i best take chains lol

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
PUP? as in dog?

i would take the andorra route every time . the scenery is to die for . very often dont even stop in andorra but the trip is smashing . it isnt that steep. but can be a bit disconcerting . you can feel that the van is slowing down. but enjoy the views . in summer and winter well worth it . even on misty days its a kind of spookey niceness. but been there hundreds of times still love it.

Check the rules for dogs via Andorra.. it is not classed as part of the passport scheme.. they have there own rules... so Andorra may not be the best route.. there is a Franch road that goes around Andorra but crosses high up and re joins the main C route in to Spain.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob .took mine through there loads of times .even took dogs through there before the uk passport thing came out. that was in 98 we took a labrador with us when we were driving around the coast of africa. only uk is the problem.
at one time we always used the andorra route to get to spain. the main roads through are usually clear. have taken chains but never needed them.
another way is from toulouse turn rightish go to gaudens and cross into spain near fos . then take the tunel de viella thats one hell of a long tunel .worth doing it just to be amazed how long it is.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Been through both routes both ways

bob .took mine through there loads of times .even took dogs through there before the uk passport thing came out. that was in 98 we took a labrador with us when we were driving around the coast of africa. only uk is the problem.
at one time we always used the andorra route to get to spain. the main roads through are usually clear. have taken chains but never needed them.
another way is from toulouse turn rightish go to gaudens and cross into spain near fos . then take the tunel de viella thats one hell of a long tunel .worth doing it just to be amazed how long it is.

Alan, have done both routes both ways and the new tunnel in Andorra that is a toll, but cuts of a lot of the climb.

But the information on the DEFA site says they do not recognise the pet passport scheme .. same with Sweden that has to have tattoo in the ear. Just do not want to this this member go all the way up to the check point and through Andorra to the check poin t out and get stopped and have a lot of issues.. like the toads.. some get away with it others get a fine.. I would not want to risk my dog in anyway.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob . have taken my dog through there loads of times . and i would do the climb . its worth it for the scenery .

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The only good thing is cheap fuel

40kl supemarket ! And busy, busy.

The only good thing is it has cheap fuel... but then you burn a lot climbing the mountains to get in to Andorra. pray no tractor or trucks in front.. seen then crawling up with miles of cars behind.. OK if you go over in the very early morning... but then it can be dark... The shops can get very busy.. as said busy busy.. no where to park a motorhome.... Plus as you leave Andorra you have to go through the customs and they are looking for items that are going into Spain and limit the amount.. so you buy it in Andorra then get clobbered by the Spanish customs... They inspect every car and motorhome.. you pull in to a shed that has maybe 30 bays across one at a time and a customs office looks.. you see the locals getting out of the cars and opening the tailgates in readiness.

Yes wonderful views if you can take you eyes of the road to look.. lots of hairpins and snow at the top ... a few stopping places at the top... worth doing it ... but with the warning about the dog rules.. check the DEFRA site....

The road on the French side is long and slow going as well... the Spanish side is a little better as it is a C route...

We stop off in Montauban the night before ..use the Campanile compound (charge) or in the road way outside.. the campanile has electric sliding gates at night and you have to get a pass number... also there is a McD car park not far away and have used that as well.

Have a good trip

Bob

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thanks for your advice bob i will checkout what grief i may get with the pup and if needs i will avoid andorra it would be nice to take that route but is the hassle worth it and this shows why its worth paying a sub for this site the help is priceless thanks again all:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hio .i usually sztop just the other side of saverdun. go past it then come in from the other side. just off the n20 .lovely big picnic area with shop toilets and bbq places . a few trucks stop as well. you canget upto andorra . see the views on the way .i just go straight through just fill up with juice. out the other side and away you go. must have been through 8 times with a dog since the passport started . they dont even want to look at the dogs papers . every dog just about in the eu as a rabies jab. dogs have been moving around mainland europe for years . . yes they check the van but theres nothing you would really want to take from france to spain . and although the booze can be cheap in andorra i cant be bothered to stop. have a good one .

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
fuel for me

hio .i usually sztop just the other side of saverdun. go past it then come in from the other side. just off the n20 .lovely big picnic area with shop toilets and bbq places . a few trucks stop as well. you canget upto andorra . see the views on the way .i just go straight through just fill up with juice. out the other side and away you go. must have been through 8 times with a dog since the passport started . they dont even want to look at the dogs papers . every dog just about in the eu as a rabies jab. dogs have been moving around mainland europe for years . . yes they check the van but theres nothing you would really want to take from france to spain . and although the booze can be cheap in andorra i cant be bothered to stop. have a good one .

It is the fuel for me....

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob your going over a tousand miles each way .and you worry about afew litres of fuel.
. we avoid tolls ,motorways and even dul carriageways if there is a small road heading in the right direction. in spain travel on the aire de sevico roads . easy to get to the industrial estates, shops etc look in car showrooms or m,bike shops
.we even try to go through as many villages as we can.
in fact try to follow the old roads where ever possible .
you cant see another country from the main roads.
you must miss out on alot of the fun and adventure.
hate to say how many times i have done andorra but its still exciting .
you can get 40ft artics going up there .they dont have a problem.
cause you could try our other game .how slow can we go today.
when is it time o grow up.? not yet thats for sure.
give it ago .enjoy the drive but dont be in a hurry . slowly and you get lots of time to look around.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
hopefully everything is now sorted will stay at citi europe on sun mornin around 1am
then make my way prolly about 7am to 1st stop around orleans hopefully will see some pleasant sights and maybe meet some pleasant people on my way might use the acsi sites that i have checked out and like the saying goes wherever i apply the break is my home lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back