wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I rather fancy a RV I have seen on I like it`s rear engined 6.5 litre diesel, it is oldish but not ancient I know runnin costs might be a bit high as it prob won`t do much more than 12 to the gallon, but is there any other pitfalls. I also realise it aint goin to fit on me drive cos it`s 32ft long an I live up a ded end.What does the team think.:Cool::Cool::Blush::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got a link or item number if its on ebay ?

diesel pushers tend to be on the heavy side and may be over 7500kg...assuming you just have a C1+E licence

a diesel pusher should be much quieter than a 'FRED'...(front engined diesel) which can be very noisy.

OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
No John it`s not on E Bay but there is one similarhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Rockwood-Regent-Diesel-Pusher-American-MotorhomeRV-/230619672843?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item35b200f10b but this is a lot cheaper

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a few thoughts to ponder..

One of the few pushers under 7.5 ton ..

Spartan is good make of chassis .. has proper Graning self leveling air ride suspension ,

if it's the same chassis as my Georgieboy had, it will have 'air over hydraulic brakes.'

No mention of make of engine or gear box .. is it a Cummins with Alison auto transmission ? If so that is a well proven and excellent combination.

Pusher radiators are big and are prone to rusting and cost a fortune to replace .. mine cost £3k + fitting ..

Tyres.. age as we all know is important .. over 7 years they need replaced.. six times not cheap = a lot

Brake pads and discs are expensive

Does it have a spare wheel + tyre

12mpg is conservative, light foot, decent run and it should be closer to 14 mpg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It looks like a 6.5 probably a chevy the box is not listed so not sure but if it is still here when I get back from France I think I will go and have alook

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It looks like a 6.5 probably a chevy the box is not listed so not sure but if it is still here when I get back from France I think I will go and have alook

Yes, you're probably correct, the Cummins fitted to RVs are usually 5.9lt B series, a straight six.. ..
The Chevy diesel engine is known as the 'haymaker' as it was fitted in a lot of combine harvesters .. tough as old boots but rather noisy and unrefined.. when fitted to a FRED the noise was quite bad .. may be OK hidden under the Queen bed.. :roflmto:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I think Jim prety much covered it.......certain it ill be the chevy engine sitting in the best Chassis......although I am sure I could have got a Radiator made for less than 3k Jim

All the best Rick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The licence entitlement is the first port of call

The first port of call would be the weight of the RV and if your licence entitlement allows you to drive it.

You have flagged up a couple of minus points yourself... storage.. 32' is expensive to store in commercial premises.. OK may be on a farm.. but then you do not have power to keep the batteries up (unless you are going to lug them off the RV and take them home).. if storage is on a farm say.. you then have to leave your car there while away... done that my self with one of the A class we had.. real pain. Plus in the winter months no real way to keep the inside warm and dry.

Others can tell you stories of damage and theft in storage.... been mentioned on here before.

Yes a pusher is nice.. much less noise... the Spartan chassis is made mainly for fire equipment and is considered one of the best. On our Titan we had a Dodge chassis and it was a bit like a truck chassis... do all we wanted, but wished we had air suspension. brakes can be expensive at times as well. John pointed out the radiator issue. Unless you are in the trade you may find they can be expensive and if in Europe when it goes.. then mega bucks.

Dependent on age a conventional front engine may be more suitable. Plus you can hear when things do not sound right... OK relying on gauges and the later models have bags of them, but older rigs may not have as many and I like to hear if the engine makes a noise I do not know.. catch it early.

Takes sometime normally to find the right RV.. myself the last one took 18 months.. we are about to put ours on the market as we are looking for another. But often it takes owning a few to find the right layout that suits you. But I would not be put off by any remarks on here.. yes they are expensive to maintain and do not do a lot of miles to the gallon.. but look at the comfort you get and the space.

Go for it..

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Never had one ::bigsmile: never been took by the idea to have one ::bigsmile: All the ones I have seen are not that well screwed together inside and the older ones are very tired,both woodwork wise and furnishings :Smile:Why would you want something that is basically too big to move around/visit places apart from driving and parking up.You may as have a caravan.I just do not get the point of them unless you are F/Time and need all the room.You can get some very large euro vans that only cost half as much to run but then again for us they are just too big :Doh:::bigsmile: you do get a lot of van for the money but at the same time as it gets older the market shrinks and you will loose a lot :winky: unless you find another person thinking along the same lines as you ::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Never had one ::bigsmile: never been took by the idea to have one ::bigsmile: All the ones I have seen are not that well screwed together inside and the older ones are very tired,both woodwork wise and furnishings :Smile:Why would you want something that is basically too big to move around/visit places apart from driving and parking up.You may as well stay with the caravan.I just do not get the point of them unless you are F/Time and need all the room.You can get some very large euro vans that only cost half as much to run but then again for us they are just too big :Doh:::bigsmile: you do get a lot of van for the money but at the same time as it gets older the market shrinks and you will loose a lot :winky: unless you find another person thinking along the same lines as you ::bigsmile:
terry

:winky::winky:
WELL SAID TERRY BUY BRITISH YOU DON'T NEED THE AMERICAN C**P ALL YOU NEED IS A PLACE TO EAT,SLEEP AND RELAXE IN.THEY ARE TO BLOODY BIG.TO EXPENSIVE TO RUN
AND YOU NEED PLENTY OF MONEY TO KEEP THEM ON THE ROAD.P.S IT'S A BRITISH THING

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
:winky::winky:
WELL SAID TERRY BUY BRITISH YOU DON'T NEED THE AMERICAN C**P ALL YOU NEED IS A PLACE TO EAT,SLEEP AND RELAXE IN.THEY ARE TO BLOODY BIG.TO EXPENSIVE TO RUN
AND YOU NEED PLENTY OF MONEY TO KEEP THEM ON THE ROAD.P.S IT'S A BRITISH THING

wow put your claws back in now guys:roflmto::roflmto:
brian:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My thoughts are for Wasp ::bigsmile: to sum up again IMO too big,too expensive to run,not that well screwed together and on older vans too tired.::bigsmile::winky: edit too much money to loose :winky:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No Bob :Smile:the comfort is just the same in my van all you get is room/size which in most cases is too big :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::winky:
terry
depends what you mean by comfort......

fully sprung and cushioned couch as opposed to a 3" thick slap of foam on a ply bench.

fully sprung domestic full sized mattress as opposed to a mix of various seating cushions or a couple of inch's of foam on ply in an overcab.

usually a proper domestic rocker/reclining chair

a proper dining table and padded free standing chair.

large, comfy driver and passenger seats, designed for American fat arses.

full sized domestic cooker/hob...none of your 'made to fit a motorhome' European stuff

10 GALLONS of hot water instead of 10 LITERS.

the ability to pass each other without one having to sit first.

the list goes on.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The biggest falacy is running costs and depreciation factors
RVs do not depreciate at anything like the rate of an A class European motorhome
The bang for buck is at least 4 x that of an Eurpean A class at half the price
Running costs are as always relative
I wish i could find the my old post re RVs pulling a toad -V- Europeans without a toad running every where in the Motor home, too close to call,in fact im sure my maths over a 3000 mile trip put the RV / Toad in front average MPG wise:winky:
You would need to spend at least 25-30 K more to own an A Class with anything like the comfort of an RV
I could run my RV for 10 Years just on the savings alone:Doh:
Despite what Bob says ther'e not expensive to maintain either, service cost are comparable, and they dont need cambelts and wheel bearings every 13000 miles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Or engines if there Mercs:Cool:
You Pays yer Money as they say

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
depends what you mean by comfort......

fully sprung and cushioned couch as opposed to a 3" thick slap of foam on a ply bench.
6 ins deep foam covered in nice material that looks like the day it was made-not faded or anything
fully sprung domestic full sized mattress as opposed to a mix of various seating cushions or a couple of inch's of foam on ply in an overcab.As above and 2 ins memory topper-I know which I prefer to sleep on

usually a proper domestic rocker/reclining chair
No need for one::bigsmile:
a proper dining table and padded free standing chair.
No need for one::bigsmile:
large, comfy driver and passenger seats, designed for American fat arses.
Normal seats made for British and Italian fat arses :winky:::bigsmile:
full sized domestic cooker/hob...none of your 'made to fit a motorhome' European stuff
Full size cooker here:Smile:
10 GALLONS of hot water instead of 10 LITERS.
Got me on that but 1o ltrs is sufficient
the ability to pass each other without one having to sit first.
That comes down to size :thumb: but still no hardship ::bigsmile:
the list goes on.
Yes it doesTHE ABILITY TO PASS OTHER VEHICLES OTHER THAN ON m/w and pass garages :winky: OOOPS forgot RVs have massive fuel tanks :Doh: that cost a fortune to fill :winky:Then we can start on getting in /out/parking in towns etc,and getting on any sites without forward planning etc etc ::bigsmile:Also the ability to drive down to the shops etc without having to have a toad :Doh:You may as well have a caravan or a fith wheeler::bigsmile:
At the end of the day most vans have the same things in them IE seats, beds, cooker, loo, shower, heater, etc,the only thing a RV has is SIZE AND THAT IS NOT ALWAYS WELCOME ::bigsmile::Doh::moon::reel::reel::hardhat:
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As always, everybody makes their choice. But as Geo ,in my opinion there is no comparison.

Purchase price, in our case a 10m RV £100k on the road. We spent a long time making sure the layout was right, and with it's modifications to suit my wifes disabilities, we have no intention of ever changing it. Bought new with 0 miles on the clock, I will pamper it to make sure it lasts. 18 months old now, it has had one service which was about £189 which included all the usual stuff and a chassis lub.

Since purchasing it it has cost nil in any repairs, not that I would have paid because it was new, but simply because nothing has gone wrong.

Lots of room, almost house like facilities and an orgasmic buzz when driving it.
An engine, transmission, cruise control and power steering to die for. :winky:

Done caravans, then Management said that they will no longer do.
Looked at Euro Ice Cream Sheds and they are so below parr that they were knocked out of court with only one day of looking. Appalling is the word. And, I thought British caravan assembly and manufacture was bad. :Sad:

There simply is no comparison. I recently answered a thread about levelling, where there was all sorts or answers, mine being " I push button ". :ROFLMAO:

:coolthumb: That is what an American RV is all about. :coolthumb:​

:Cool: But as ever, one camp, will never convince the other. :Cool:​

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do europeans have slide outs?

Do europeans have slide outs? not sure if any RV does not have a roof air con and dash air con as standard.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The biggest falacy is running costs and depreciation factors
RVs do not depreciate at anything like the rate of an A class European motorhome
The bang for buck is at least 4 x that of an Eurpean A class at half the price
Running costs are as always relative
I wish i could find the my old post re RVs pulling a toad -V- Europeans without a toad running every where in the Motor home, too close to call,in fact im sure my maths over a 3000 mile trip put the RV / Toad in front average MPG wise:winky:
You would need to spend at least 25-30 K more to own an A Class with anything like the comfort of an RV
I could run my RV for 10 Years just on the savings alone:Doh:
Despite what Bob says ther'e not expensive to maintain either, service cost are comparable, and they dont need cambelts and wheel bearings every 13000 miles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Or engines if there Mercs:Cool:
You Pays yer Money as they say

I remember that post Geo and yep the RV and toad came out favourable / nothing to call in them :thumb: BUT you are tugging (sorry but that is what you basically are,a caravan:winky:) while you are in the toad you have lost the use of the van which for me is why we/you have one-if we are out for the day I don't want to use public loos,pack sarnies,or make a flask -I have all that and take it with us in the van ::bigsmile: Of course you can always have a VW / Bongo as a toad ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do europeans have slide outs? not sure if any RV does not have a roof air con and dash air con as standard.

Bob

Yes you can get slide outs same as Air con etc,but on the slide bits they are fitted to large wagon base vehicles which sort of puts you back to a RV only British :winky:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I remember that post Geo and yep the RV and toad came out favourable / nothing to call in them :thumb: BUT you are tugging (sorry but that is what you basically are,a caravan:winky:) while you are in the toad you have lost the use of the van which for me is why we/you have one-if we are out for the day I don't want to use public loos,pack sarnies,or make a flask -I have all that and take it with us in the van ::bigsmile: Of course you can always have a VW / Bongo as a toad ::bigsmile::winky:
terry
Terry
We dont use public loos,pack sarnies,or make a flask. were Rich, we go to the pub:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mike
thanks for the support:thumb: but i wasnt including Winniebagos in that post:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
As Bob says "It's an American thing"

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Noisey neighbours

You don't need any support Geo....you're doing so well on your own:winky:
Its just another dig at rvs post:ROFLMAO:Generated a bit of interest though::bigsmile:

John P:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry
We dont use public loos,pack sarnies,or make a flask. were Rich, we go to the pub:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mike
thanks for the support:thumb: but i wasnt including Winniebagos in that post:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
As Bob says "It's an American thing"

I very nearly said as much but decided not to ::bigsmile:
Unfortunately for us Ann is Knackered so after short strolls she goes and lays down while I carry on looking around or take the pooch out.::bigsmile: so a toad is not a option for us or a larger van.
No one knows what the future holds but we now tend to take our grandson away with us (his father died 3 yrs ago)so seriously looking at doing another van but with 3 beds or one specially made for him.At the moment he sleeps across the front seats on a board that he made for himself (I cut it and he sanded it)so that we could not leave him behind :Smile:Even that board gets a 3 ins mattress and 2 ins topper :winky:Tried to tell him there was no room for him but he came up with the idea he could sleep on the front seats so we had to do it :Doh:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I remember that post Geo and yep the RV and toad came out favourable / nothing to call in them :thumb: BUT you are tugging (sorry but that is what you basically are,a caravan:winky:) while you are in the toad you have lost the use of the van which for me is why we/you have one-if we are out for the day I don't want to use public loos,pack sarnies,or make a flask -I have all that and take it with us in the van ::bigsmile:[HI] Of course you can always have a VW / Bongo as a toad [/HI]::bigsmile::winky:
terry
On the face of it Terry a VW as a toad would be the perfect combo, however I don't think it would be too long before you arrive back on site after a day or two doing the tourist thing in that fabulous VW and seeing this monstrosity sitting there and saying to yourself. What on earth am I dragging that ridiculous vehicle all around Europe for when I can manage perfectly well in this go anywhere VW.:thumb:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
As always, everybody makes their choice. But as Geo ,in my opinion there is no comparison.

Purchase price, in our case a 10m RV £100k on the road. We spent a long time making sure the layout was right, and with it's modifications to suit my wifes disabilities, we have no intention of ever changing it. Bought new with 0 miles on the clock, I will pamper it to make sure it lasts. 18 months old now, it has had one service which was about £189 which included all the usual stuff and a chassis lub.

Since purchasing it it has cost nil in any repairs, not that I would have paid because it was new, but simply because nothing has gone wrong.

Lots of room, almost house like facilities and an orgasmic buzz when driving it.
An engine, transmission, cruise control and power steering to die for. :winky:

Done caravans, then Management said that they will no longer do.
Looked at Euro Ice Cream Sheds and they are so below parr that they were knocked out of court with only one day of looking. Appalling is the word. And, I thought British caravan assembly and manufacture was bad. :Sad:

There simply is no comparison. I recently answered a thread about levelling, where there was all sorts or answers, mine being " I push button ". :ROFLMAO:

:coolthumb: That is what an American RV is all about. :coolthumb:​

:Cool: But as ever, one camp, will never convince the other. :Cool:​

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
£100k ON THE ROAD. F*****G HELL. YOU CAN BUY A HOUSE FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
On the face of it Terry a VW as a toad would be the perfect combo, however I don't think it would be too long before you arrive back on site after a day or two doing the tourist thing in that fabulous VW and seeing this monstrosity sitting there and saying to yourself. What on earth am I dragging that ridiculous vehicle all around Europe for when I can manage perfectly well in this go anywhere VW.:thumb:

:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: too right Buttons :winky: I HAVE GONE FROM A 2 BERTH TO A 4 BERTH TO A 6 BERTH AND NOW BACK TO A 2 OR SHOULD THAT BE 3 ? (BLOODY CAPS)ARRRGGGG done it again :Smile:The 2 suits us fine now- Which van did not suit best ? the 6 berth :Doh: it had two bunks and a massive over cab bed (7ft 4 ins by 5 ft 9 ins)with the dinette making up the other double ::bigsmile:Ann could not climb out of the O cab bed and did not like the lower bunk so we slept on the dinette all the time but this was the most uncomfortable place to sit during the day-Hate dinettes ::bigsmile: Ok for eating at but then bloody useless.
Give me this current one any day :thumb:Size matters-too small no good but too big bloody useless
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK Wasp have you enough info /opinions on RVs/ houses to make your decision ?
::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back