French Breath Tests (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Am in France and thought I would just need to walk into a Pharmacie or supermarket and buy a breath test ket. No chance, according to many I have spoken to it appears to be a bit of a cock up, just like a UK law. NO kits have been distributed yet and even if the law starts on July 1st all Police have been instructed to only start enforcement on November 1st. Also remember the kits are date related and will expire, if unopened, in about 2 years. Also check that all boxes have NF stamped on them which means they are callibrated for France only.
Price over here, when they reeceive them, is expected to be about 2 to 3 Euros a pair. Better than the english rip off of over £5.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Bought many already !!! Gave a few when at Marjal .... I wanted to give them away ... but forgot :RollEyes::RollEyes:typical me ....:Blush::Blush: JJ has them in the hymer ... which is in ...Portugal :roflmto:

Well at least if you call in Quinta Majay , you can try to deal one ... you'll have to have FBpies or, carte noire instant coffee, or baked beans ... to have a good chance to deal with JJ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalment

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
JJ's exchange rate is not good

Bought many already !!! Gave a few when at Marjal .... I wanted to give them away ... but forgot :RollEyes::RollEyes:typical me ....:Blush::Blush: JJ has them in the hymer ... which is in ...Portugal :roflmto:

Well at least if you call in Quinta Majay , you can try to deal one ... you'll have to have FBpies or, carte noire instant coffee, or baked beans ... to have a good chance to deal with JJ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalment

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

Given that the Euro is bad these days and JJ is in the Euro zone.. the pound being strong .. we need a better deal from him... like 1 FBP for 3 breath kits... next week the rate may change to 4 to breath kits t 1 FBP.

Now bake beans .. depends on the band .. if he wants proper bake beans then he is going to have to offer a much much better deal Frankie.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem is we need to get through France to get at the breathalysers JJ has :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Am in France and thought I would just need to walk into a Pharmacie or supermarket and buy a breath test ket. No chance, according to many I have spoken to it appears to be a bit of a cock up, just like a UK law. NO kits have been distributed yet and even if the law starts on July 1st all Police have been instructed to only start enforcement on November 1st. Also remember the kits are date related and will expire, if unopened, in about 2 years. Also check that all boxes have NF stamped on them which means they are callibrated for France only.
Price over here, when they reeceive them, is expected to be about 2 to 3 Euros a pair. Better than the english rip off of over £5.

Breath test kits are available in most French supermarkets, we bought ours in Carrefour for 2€95 for a pack of 2 they are valid for 2 years.
The law definately starts on 1st of July although the Gendarmes have been instructed not to issue fines until after the 1st of September to give people the chance to get used to testing themselves after having a drink.

Dave

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Breath test kits are available in most French supermarkets, we bought ours in Carrefour for 2€95 for a pack of 2 they are valid for 2 years.
The law definately starts on 1st of July although the Gendarmes have been instructed not to issue fines until after the 1st of September to give people the chance to get used to testing themselves after having a drink.

Dave

NO .... 1st of November !

Frankie:winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not understand this law or what its purpose is, all the other stuff I understand first aid kit triangles etc but this to me is a joke, do the lawmakers own the company that makes these things?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Frankie, our local Gendarmarie told us 1st of September.

Dave

Well Dave I am very sorry to let you know that there are only 2 solutions

1) they enjoyed telling you nonsense (I hope not.... but....one never knows!)
2)they are incompetent and better learn what tells "le journal officiel" because it is the only official publication french can rely on. (this one is a real option!!)

http://www.bienpublic.com/societe/2...hylotest-obligatoire-dans-toutes-les-voitures

Amicalement

Frankie

ps : There a comment saying you need 2 ... one for you ... and one to make sure the policeman is sober too LOL LOL LOL

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Well Dave I am very sorry to let you know that there are only 2 solutions

1) they enjoyed telling you nonsense (I hope not.... but....one never knows!)
2)they are incompetent and better learn what tells "le journal officiel" because it is the only official publication french can rely on. (this one is a real option!!)

http://www.bienpublic.com/societe/2...hylotest-obligatoire-dans-toutes-les-voitures

Amicalement

Frankie

ps : There a comment saying you need 2 ... one for you ... and one to make sure the policeman is sober too LOL LOL LOL

It certainly wouldn't be the first time the Gendarmes have been wrong now would it?:whatthe::winky:

Dave

Ps, I think we have Mutual friends, who stayed with you a couple of weeks ago before coming to stay with us. (Marie & Rex) ?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
In english law, the onus is on the police to prove you have committed a crime. You are not obligated to say anything, or do anything, that assist's them in any way, (nor is it wise to hinder them).
I will not be carrying anything that the french police could use against me, they are entitled to breathalise me,...with their own bloody equipment, but I will not pay for the privelage, especially as there is more chance of them finding me pregnant than over ANY drink drive limit. I have NEVER yet been asked to show any othe the other equipment we are obliged to carry, so I doubt they will ever have reason to challenge my stance.
I would have thought, that as in this country, the first thing you would ask a police officer when he stopped you is "why have you stopped me?", it used to be, that you had to be commiting a "moving traffic offence" to be stopped, so I would have thought that a french copper needs a reason, if he does not, and has not stopped any cars in front you, then I would certainly be arguing a case of discrimination.
If we are going to be in the EU, lets have a level playing field, or we may as well be visiting a banana republic as an EU country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back