Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Over the time I've been on 'The Fun' {mainly in reading mode} I've seen several, "How do I get rid of black streak"? threads. You might like to try 'Sugar Soap'. I tried a test patch a month ago and it not only works but it has had no detrimental effects (that I can see). Moreover, it's cheap and really works well. I use it undiluted on a microfibre cloth and it dissolves even the stubbornest black streaks with very little if any EG (elbow grease) required. I then wash it off with 'non-drought' water. Obviously try a test patch first but I hope it solves a niggling problem for some. Cheers PS. I used a bottle bought from B and Q. Couple of quid I seem to remember and should last ages.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that, there are loads of options I've tried with varying levels of success but this is a good one as I happen to have a bottle in the garage I bought for cleaning some interior doors prior to painting. I remember it took very little and was non abrasive.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just remember to wash thouroughly and put some polish on the area, as sugar soap strips all the wax and polish off the area you clean

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For yrs I have said one part bleach to 3 parts water with a good cap full of clothes liquid into a garden spray, then a good rub with a soft brush and good rinse.
Now the other week I stumbled on ASTONISH tar and insect remover £1 a bottle :thumb: I was washing the windows (house) when I noticed the van had a 18 ins long x 2/3 ins wide streak of bird poo baked on the entrance door.I tried the stuff I was cleaning windows with (water/wash up liquid mix)to no avail :cry:then grabbed the astonish simply because it was on the shelf by the garage door.Quick spray and a few seconds later it wiped straight off :thumb:
I then got carried away and found myself spraying the whole of the van using a quick spray and wipe straight off method,about five mins for the whole van and less than half a bottle of Astonish :thumb:Once done I gave it a quick rinse with the hose so less than ten mins for the whole van ::bigsmile:
terry

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Something else we've all got a can of is WD40, easily removes black streaks but don't use it near your decals as it will lift them off!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
For yrs I have said one part bleach to 3 parts water with a good cap full of clothes liquid into a garden spray, then a good rub with a soft brush and good rinse.
Now the other week I stumbled on ASTONISH tar and insect remover £1 a bottle :thumb: I was washing the windows (house) when I noticed the van had a 18 ins long x 2/3 ins wide streak of bird poo baked on the entrance door.I tried the stuff I was cleaning windows with (water/wash up liquid mix)to no avail :cry:then grabbed the astonish simply because it was on the shelf by the garage door.Quick spray and a few seconds later it wiped straight off :thumb:
I then got carried away and found myself spraying the whole of the van using a quick spray and wipe straight off method,about five mins for the whole van and less than half a bottle of Astonish :thumb:Once done I gave it a quick rinse with the hose so less than ten mins for the whole van ::bigsmile:
terry

Terry, if you enjoy cleaning windows I would really appreciate it if you came up here and did mine:winky:
OH has been promising to do them for weeks now, but still hasn't done it:Doh:
Margaret:roflmto:

hemmsy

Free Member
May 9, 2012
Tenby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years or so
black streaks

Something else we've all got a can of is WD40, easily removes black streaks but don't use it near your decals as it will lift them off!

I always use toothpaste works wonders.::bigsmile:

hemmsy

Free Member
May 9, 2012
Tenby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years or so
I always use toothpaste for black streaks works wonders.::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I always use toothpaste works wonders.::bigsmile:

toothpaste is a mildly abrasive solution containing amongst other things chalk. this will if used too often take the surface off the paint. very little difference to using cif on the bodywork which is not advisable:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
toothpaste is a mildly abrasive solution containing amongst other things chalk. this will if used too often take the surface off the paint. very little difference to using cif on the bodywork which is not advisable:thumb:

Aaahhh but what a lovely smile ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, if you enjoy cleaning windows I would really appreciate it if you came up here and did mine:winky:
OH has been promising to do them for weeks now, but still hasn't done it:Doh:
Margaret:roflmto:

Hi Margaret, I never said I enjoyed cleaning them :Doh: Just do it for a peaceful life :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back