BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can anybody explain to me (preferably in English) the difference between a mobile Broadband stick and a wi-fi dongle? Is either preferable to the other?

many thanks,

Bob T

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Mobile broadband uses a mobile phone connection to connect to the internet.
WiFi uses a local wireless link, so you have to be near a link that allows you to connect, MacDonalds have them and you can usually get reception in the car park so don't need to set foot inside.
Wifi can be free, sometimes there is a charge, Mobile broadband will be chargeable either by the Mb or you can get a package.
Hope that helps.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
You've got terms mixed up and hence the confusion.

"Mobile broadband" is the correct term for the service where a device can connect via the mobile phone network to access the internet. The technology for this is either through a "tethered smart phone" (e.g. using your mobile as a go-between your laptop and the internet), a "mi-fi" type device (a stand alond devie that connects to the mobile broadband and makes a local wifi-network yor laptop connects to), or a mobile broadband dongle (which connects to the internet via the phone network and plugs directly into your computer)

The term "dongle" is really the "mobile broadband dongle" which is part of the above and plugs in. You could also call this a "stick" :)

The term dongle isn't used for wifi :)

Wifi connecting to the internet via any avaialble wifi network (e.g. home/campsite/McDonalds etc). If your laptop doesn't have a wifi device built in (unlikely) you can buy a wifi adapter. But really, no such thing as a "wifi dongle".

If this doesn't explain it, clarify your question :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I could use.....

I could use mobile broadband at Peterborough in the field of mud with the mobile phone tethered to the laptop ...connected by a lead.

I could not use WIFI as there was no signal anywhere near me.

I paid to use the mobile phone connection, where as with wifi I may not have.. especially at McD'ds and also Starbucks and Weatherspoons etc.,

Bob

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
1. mobile broadband dongle has a data sim in it and connects to one device only i.e. 1 laptop

2. Mi-Fi is a stand alone (dongle) that has a data sim in it but is not connected to any one item. You can connect up to 5 items to the mi-fi.

As said in previous posts, you can only connect to the internet on the above 2 via a data sim which is inserted into either the dongle or the mi-fi, they will then connect to broadband over the mobile phone network

I started off with a mobile dongle but changed to a Mi-Fi unit and get a 3g "3" data sim off Amazon which lasts for 3 months and costs £9-£11 to put in it.

edit:
Having just read Slobadoberbob's post I was connected to the internet on my wi-fi unit using my "3" data sim ok in Peterborough. I even managed to book replacement flights to Spain via this as my son missed his flight due to an accident on the road to the airport!
I have had trouble in the past using a talk talk sim with not very good coverage.

OP
OP
BobT

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
dongle

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your info.
I currently have a dongle from Orange for which I pay £10 per month, but it rarely seems to work. I live in Norfolk and apparently reception is not good.
One of my staff, who is very "techie" told me that he now uses a "mobile internet" which connects to his laptop like a dongle, but it gives much better reception. He said it is costing him £12 per month.
I am not interested in downloading games, films etc. I just want to be able to read my e-mails and surf the internet when it is convenient.

BobT

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
mobile wifi is available in the form of a dongle and as such doesn't require wires to connect to your device http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi

a mobile broadband dongle however plugs into a spare usb port. Broken Link Removed

hope this helps as this is how i interpreted your post

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your info.
I currently have a dongle from Orange for which I pay £10 per month, but it rarely seems to work. I live in Norfolk and apparently reception is not good.
One of my staff, who is very "techie" told me that he now uses a "mobile internet" which connects to his laptop like a dongle, but it gives much better reception. He said it is costing him £12 per month.
I am not interested in downloading games, films etc. I just want to be able to read my e-mails and surf the internet when it is convenient.

BobT

If Orange does not offer a good signal try other networks, O2, Vodaphone, etc.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Wifi dongles date back to to Pc's and laptops that did not have an internal wifi card.
I have 2 BT one's connecting older PC's to my wireless broadband hub.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back