LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
maplin have a portable sat system which is a omnisat 54cm which covers most of Europe the guy in the shop told me the channels depends on the dish size but he couldn't tell me if the folding sat dish in maplins at £39 excluding the cable and the lmb would pick up channels in spain around the barcelona area but if the omnisat is 54cm and the folding 1 is 60cm then surely it will does anyone know or have any advice i will be taking my sky hd box with me as a receiver

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in simple terms, the further south you go the larger the dish required. 54cm is ok within the mainland uk, 60cm north france (and north scotland too ) and by the time you reach spain 1.2m is recomended, however that is huge.

in much of france a 60cm will get a lot of chanels but this goes down the further out of the footprint of the sattelite you go and the more problems of losing the signal

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
ok thx but i cant understand why i have seen dishes around the barcelona area and are no more than 60cm also the 1 thats 58cm Link Removed also says for europe and i checked the coverage on the box and it covered all of spain and portugal ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
60cm will be ok for Barcelona but dont push it for to far south after that.
We used to have a crank up 66cm and that was fine down to Salou,.
The maxview kit is EXPENSIVE !!! unless you really need a cheap holdall and a folding arm.. :winky:

You can buy the kit on ebay for half the price..

Link Removed

Link Removed

ALSO... B&Q were doing a kit which has a 60cm dish, all the cables AND A HD RECEIVER all in for £40... Not sure if any left but a bargain, especially as the receiver is 12vdc and mains..

OR !! just seen this..
Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have spent the last 7 years (winters) in S Spain & Portugal, with to start with a suitcase jobby, and always get a picture all the way from Barcelona to Lagos in SW Portugal.

If you have a sky subscription take your box & card (yes it will work all over Europe although Sky will try to tell you different). You will be able to get some channels but not BBC or ITV (so no Eastenders, Corrie or Erminntrude Farm) but with a Sky subscription some of your subscription channels will be available.

The most important thing you need is patience, no good trying to do it when you get there, become an expert before you leave home. Look at Broken Link Removed and practice what it tells you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I'll second what Keith says...we had a Tracvision Satellite system on our M/H when the guy fitted it he said this is the best system blah blah blah..he said Oh yes you'll get a picture all over Europe..he never said it won't be BBC ITV etc...we were in Peniscola the only terrestrial channel we got was Ch5 strangely enough...but we had a SKY package and we got a good few of the channels of our package...once we got back into France round Narbonne it was back to the UK Terrestrial channels as Keith says follow the link for Satellite for caravans..it's a really good site all the info you need is there...

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Worth noting that the current 3 Astra satellites used for UK TV are due for replacement, and so you can expect some changes to reception over the next few years.

For example:
Astra 2d, the one that carried BBC and ITVs on the uk spot beam, is no longer in service, and its channels temporarily moved to Astra 1N, whose signal is a lot different to 2D.
Where as some channels (eg Film4) were lost where I am on a 2..4m dish, as they are on 1N they can be received even on an 80cm dish.

So what you find works in Barcelona today, may not next year.

But then the satellites have both UK Spot and Pan Euroepan beams, the latter should be about the same as the current "south beams". But until the new satellites are launched and operational, receptoin is really guesswork and speculation.

So a dish will work, pretty much wherever, it just depends which channels are put on which beam, and which beam your dish is big enough to receive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back