satellite tv in southern france (1 Viewer)

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004
Hi we off to southern france or at least down the west coast (our first time)and as we like a bit of telly when we get board with each other in the evening we were wondering what is the best system, does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks. Jan:Confused:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We had a Tracvision Satellite system when we were in France 2/3 years ago...It did the biz..we got all the soaps on the main channels cos 'er indoors can't do without her daily/weekly fix of rubbish..we had a subscription to SKY for a decent package so we got what we paid for..

For all info on satellite in Motorhomes try this link: http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk all the info is there...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have got an "Oyster" System... and last winter all the way down through France and well down on the Costa Blanca we were getting most of what we recieve back home...

Our set up is the same as home, Plasma TV an ordinary Sky Sat box,,, and we always take the sky card from home.... so at most we got what we paid for... it did start to lose channels going down towards the Costa Del Sol.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi we off to southern france or at least down the west coast (our first time)and as we like a bit of telly [HI]when we get board with each other in the evening [/HI]we were wondering what is the best system, does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks. Jan:Confused:

Have you thought of a new husband Jan??:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
J

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004
We had a Tracvision Satellite system when we were in France 2/3 years ago...It did the biz..we got all the soaps on the main channels cos 'er indoors can't do without her daily/weekly fix of rubbish..we had a subscription to SKY for a decent package so we got what we paid for..

For all info on satellite in Motorhomes try this link: http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk all the info is there...

Wow thanks for that I'll check that website out, and I know how your lady feels :roflmto:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a cheapo £49 portable sat kit from Aldi (inc receiver) - 35cm dish - which worked perfectly in the Dordogne last September. All mainstream channels and lots more besides. Have since invested another £20 for a proper tripod to mount the dish on.

OP
OP
J

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004
We've got a cheapo £49 portable sat kit from Aldi (inc receiver) - 35cm dish - which worked perfectly in the Dordogne last September. All mainstream channels and lots more besides. Have since invested another £20 for a proper tripod to mount the dish on.

We have one of those but it doesn't seem to be working, we were actually wondering if it might need to be updated as it has it's own sky card and box but we never really use it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my experience you either spend money and get a pucker, automatic system like old-mo...

or...

You do it on the cheap like me and spend hour upon hour looking for a satellite by which time the footy is finished (only thing I watch on TV)

Of course if Jaws is around (or Dellwood) they can find satellites easier than they can find their way home after the pub...

JJ

OP
OP
J

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004
In my experience you either spend money and get a pucker, automatic system like old-mo...

or...

You do it on the cheap like me and spend hour upon hour looking for a satellite by which time the footy is finished (only thing I watch on TV)

Of course if Jaws is around (or Dellwood) they can find satellites easier than they can find their way home after the pub...

JJ

Ooh now thats made me think, I might just have to see how much is in the piggy bank.....that will be the deciding factor:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have one of those but it doesn't seem to be working, we were actually wondering if it might need to be updated as it has it's own sky card and box but we never really use it.

I believe our kit from Aldi is a free-sat receiver, with no connection to to Sky TV. I should have perhaps made clear, we weren't viewing subscription-only channels.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We had the Tracvision R4..and at the time the cost fitted and up and running was £1,700 quid..yea a lot I know but once it was running correctly it was a good system...We had probs with ours so I went to the Tracvision Stand at the NEC Show when we were there and told em exactly what I thought of their product as this was the second time it had failed..I'll give em their due they knew exactly what was wrong with it and sorted it the day after as they had the offending part courier biked up to The NEC show..and they gave us all the sat frequencies for Spain..
What you need to do is decide..do you want a Dome Type system or a crank up dish..Dome types are not effected by strong winds crank ups sometimes need to be lowered if it's too windy!!
The world is your Oyster..(or not if you catch my drift) whatever you decide happy viewing!!!

LINKS

http://www.kvh.com/tracvision/

You could always try Dave Newall who advertises on here..he also fits systems too..also there is RoadPro who also advertise on here

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I can now report that our Maxview crank-up dish and FTA receiver worked fine between the Camargue and south of Perpignan, and everywhere north of that provided there wasn't heavy foliage or major obstacles in the way of the signal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back