Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am a newbie, and will be getting my new motorhome in the next eight weeks, but i would like to ask somebody about the winters in the uk, people who dont own a motorhome keep telling me that its cold and damp in them, i just want to know from anybody who stays in the uk in the winter if this is so as i am coming up with a lot of negativity from family and friends, its what we have bothed dreamed of doing in the past, and i know it going to be great, any ideas would be good:shout:

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Kaz51. It all depends on how well its insulated and ventilated, lack of both will be cold and damp :Eeek:

Ask on here about your intended choice and some one will comment

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Most modern MH's are just fine in the winter. We bought out first motorhome in Sept so all the first trips were in the winter. Nice and toasty with the heating on.

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello Kaz51. It all depends on how well its insulated and ventilated, lack of both will be cold and damp :Eeek:

Ask on here about your intended choice and some one will comment

Mike
Thankyou, will do
Dont know which one we are going for but ill bare that in mind, some one said dehumidify are good:thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
:flyingwelcome:

:thumb:You can't go wrong with an electric blanket:thumb:
and a hot chocolate
or a beer

ROB&JANE

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Most modern MH's are just fine in the winter. We bought out first motorhome in Sept so all the first trips were in the winter. Nice and toasty with the heating on.
How modern, we might have to get a old one to start with then progress to a new one, My husband likes the american RV's:RollEyes:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
modern motorhomes are generally well insulated, in fact we use ours all year round and is to warm at times.:thumb: Often warmer than our house in cold weather.:Cool:

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Like Craig we bought in September so all our early trips were during winter - coldest was York when it was -11 deg. C overnight - and we were perfectly comfortable. Our 'van is ten years old, and hasn't been "winterised" in any way. As for damp, I've never experienced this at all - a de-humidifier may be an idea during winter storage but I really don't think at all necessary for comfort whilst your occupying the 'van.

Weclome to 'fun and hope you enjoy your motorhome as much as we do, come rain or shine.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
When storing, it's all about ventilation. Make sure the air is getting around and that should be fine to stop any dampness

When the MH is parked up at home, I open all the bathroom door (Bathroom, hmm, there's no bath...anyway) and open all the cupboard doors so that the air can get all around. During the winter, I also cover the windscreen with a Silverscreen to stop any condensation appearing inside.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thankyou, will do
Dont know which one we are going for but ill bare that in mind, some one said dehumidify are good:thumb:

A dehumidifier is not really of much use in a motorhome especially while you are living in it.
You need to budget for using some fuel for heating, either through EHU or your own gas if not on a site.
To avoid damp you need adequate ventilation, and some cook in their awning to avoid steaming the place up, otherwise a good extractor is a big help when cooking.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kaz and welcome :thumb: Somebody has been telling you twaddle ::bigsmile:Your m/h should have heating in it so why would you sit in a cold damp(?) tin box when all you would do is put the heating on just the same as you would in a house :thumb:The only problem you may get is frozen water tank/drain tap-After all the taps and pipes in the van will be nice and warm (along with you )with the heating on :thumb:Some vans have internal tanks and as such do not suffer from freezing but the drain taps still can :winky:It is a very easy job to insulate external tanks anyway :thumb:
If you are in the van (heating on ) you will naturally open doors /windows vents so not causing damp /changing air inside the van ::bigsmile:
All the probs start when you store the van hence people using dehumidifiers / heaters etc etc -Ours is on my drive so all I do is take soft furnishings /quilts etc into the house :thumb:and nothing else,no heater or anything.I turn on the vans heater for about an hour before we set off just to warm the van up :thumb:It takes about 5 mins to put in /take out all the bits :Smile:With another 20 mins to load all of Anns stuff from upstairs-about 10 journeys :Eeek::winky: before we are off :thumb:---my stuff is one and another for fresh food and drink ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Terry, that was very useful information, we will be in our motorhome full time so I'm hoping we get good heating, and I have my electric blanket with me, all the info has been very useful for us newbie thanks again :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kaz,again :thumb: I have never full timed,and as such I am not sure what sized van you would need for what you intend to do IE travel around or just park up and live in it.If the second then I would think bigger the better RV or something along that line.(10/12 mpg:Eeek:)If you intend to travel then a smaller euro van may be the better option (22/25 mpg)If only two then look at a van with either lots of storage cupboards or even luton type simply because of what you can chuck up there ::bigsmile: LAYOUT is your biggest concern especially for full timing.You will need feet up relaxing for rainy days but at the same time you need to get to cooker/loo / fridge etc - a table is nice to sit eat/work on but not much use to try and relax at ::bigsmile: Best thing I can say is hire one for a few days and do everything imaginable in it,putting up beds making a meal while said bed is in place etc,etc,you need to get it right first time hence LAYOUT :winky:
terry

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We fulltime in our van and have done for 4 years now and we have never been cold in the winter, was colder in our house when we had one.
With a small space it doesn't take long to heat up, we have to turn heat down mostly.
We are on EHU all the time.
We have a rear lounge and a dinette up front and that layout suits us fine, we did fancy a RV but the fuel usage put us off, but we would have like it for the extra room it would have given us.
Also the small narrow roads put us off as well.
So dont worry about the warmth, you WILL be warmer than in the house , we had to shut off some rooms as the oil heating we had was expensive.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I agree that in any half decent motorhome you should never be cold and in fact save a fortune comparative to heating a house.You would only need to worry about damp if you are not living in it.It is only in storage that this may be a problem.:thumb:

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anybody know what the Dolbeare park Landrake saltash campsite is like only when we go full timing we work in Plymouth and are looking for some good sites that take a 28 ft and we can stay for a while I have emailed them but haven't had a reply as yet :whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back