Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I have just sold my home to go full timing with my husband, I have a indoor cat who I don't want to part with, do you think she would be ok to stay with us. I'm a newbie but very excited, been a dream of ours for years but waited till the children left home and settled, we are both 50 so got plenty of life left in us, these forums are so useful to gather information on thank you for letting me be part of this

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Welcome we joined December 2011 and it is the best thing we ever did have met lots of funsters over christmas and the new year in Spain then a rally in spain which was fantastic:Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Kaz first of all welcome to the forum, I would use it to do as much research as possible, check out the 365 site which is especially for full timing, ask any and as many questions as you want, that is what the forum is all about.

If I were you I would spend the most important £10 you will spend on membership for this forum, you will get your money back over and over again in discounts and information.:welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Kaz, welcome to fun, with regards to your cat, our cat has travelled with us for the past 5 years years without any problems and he was a stray when we picked him up.so I don't think you should have to many problems

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just become a member, thanks Carol will look forward to meeting some of the members on my travels :winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It sounds like quite an adventure you have ahead of you, have you thought yet which kind of motorhome you will go for, are you planning to tour Europe, will you be carrying on working, there are full timers on here who do both.

Could be worth having a chat with Peter from John Cross Motors when you have a idea what you want, as one post on here today (see I'm so angry thread) makes you aware that a trustworthy recommended dealer is worth checking out rather than one you are not sure of when spending a lot of money.

Good you have joined as you can ask as much as you need now without any limit. :thumb:

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
How do you stop them escaping please? We have two cats which we leave at home and this limits our time away to a few days.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:welcomefunster: Take the Cat with you, you are then prepared for all eventualitys, :Nowink:

Emergency Rations:thumb:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
My only concern

Hi and welcome,I've only recently joined but everyone seems great here-so helpful and generous with advice. I travel with dogs as so many of us do and always have the problem of finding someone to look after the cat so have kind of considered this possibility but whereas when you leave the van with dogs,you pop them on a lead and take them with you what would one do with a cat? I imagine that the van will get pretty hot in summer and cats are notoriously bad at taking sufficient water on board. Let's hope someone that's done it comes up with the answer to this dilemma. Good luck with it all.::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hi and welcome,I've only recently joined but everyone seems great here-so helpful and generous with advice. I travel with dogs as so many of us do and always have the problem of finding someone to look after the cat so have kind of considered this possibility but whereas when you leave the van with dogs,you pop them on a lead and take them with you what would one do with a cat? I imagine that the van will get pretty hot in summer and cats are notoriously bad at taking sufficient water on board. Let's hope someone that's done it comes up with the answer to this dilemma. Good luck with it all.::bigsmile:

How'd your trip go Mandymops?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and Welcome, we have 2 cats 0ne which is a freind of our dog there other " hates" him so we have to make other arrangements for them when we travel. or we would take them. my inlaws had a cat that they took with them for many years and the only issue they had was it seemred to know when they were moving so it it was not ready to move on would do a runner!! until it wanted to move on. made a few stops interesting. he passed away at the grand age of 22 years at home..

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
How'd your trip go Mandymops?

:ROFLMAO:Haven't actually been anywhere yet as daughter is too busy revising for exams. I have very itchy feet though and can't wait. When I said I travel with dogs,I meant in my former life with a tent. This will be a whole new ball game. I have visions of them flying about like missiles in the back so have decided that the best option is to put them on a double ended lead and attache them to a three point seat-belt on on of the seats in the living space. I anticipate protests.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have never traveled with cats, but have come quite a few who do on our travels. Could be worth starting a thread on Traveling with cats. :Smile:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi
I'm new to here also and haven't introduced myself yet, but will do! I have a couple of cats and a dog. We intend offloading the cats with our daughter so don't intend travelling with them ourselves but a couple of questions comes to mind re taking them with us should the need arise. Being a practical person, the first question is what do you do re toilet facilities for them? Presumably this would involve using a litter tray and although you can buy the ones with the tops, where do you keep it and I can imagine it could quickly become rather smelly in a confined space, especially in the heat! Also I think that I would be on tender hooks every time the door opened incase they bolted.
When we initially travelled to our new home here in France, we brought over our cat (now passed on at the age of 20). A joiner friend made a special box for her with a sleeping area and a space for her litter tray and we brought her over in our old caravan. The box took up a huge amount of space. For reasons I won't bore you with, we ended up having to stay at the local municipal campsite for a month with our cat and 2 dogs. We did let Smokie roam around the campsite as she got used to her surroundings. However, she was once chased up a tree by another camper's fox terrier, which gave her and us and her a fright! How do folk get on if they're travelling about with a cat, does the cat always have to be kept on a lead? If so, don't think my cats would take kindly to having their freedom curtailed to that extent.
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to ramble on!
Anna

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We will still be working, we both work in Plymouth, it's a lovely part of the country Devon so have plenty of oppurtunity to go wild camp or camp sites then at weekends and holidays tour the country

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I travelled with my cat almost fulltime all over Europe for over 2years. Many funsters will remember her as she was always sat in the window of my RV. As long as you have a pet passport you will have no problem other than the expense of the French vet and ferry company charges. It was easy for me as my cat was introduced to the RV at a very early age and thought of me as a parent. If she was outside the RV she would not leave my sight. Its surprising how quickly they get used to a change in environment and personally I don't see any problems especially with a house cat.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
cat litter

Hi
I'm new to here also and haven't introduced myself yet, but will do! I have a couple of cats and a dog. We intend offloading the cats with our daughter so don't intend travelling with them ourselves but a couple of questions comes to mind re taking them with us should the need arise. Being a practical person, the first question is what do you do re toilet facilities for them? Presumably this would involve using a litter tray and although you can buy the ones with the tops, where do you keep it and I can imagine it could quickly become rather smelly in a confined space, especially in the heat! Also I think that I would be on tender hooks every time the door opened incase they bolted.
When we initially travelled to our new home here in France, we brought over our cat (now passed on at the age of 20). A joiner friend made a special box for her with a sleeping area and a space for her litter tray and we brought her over in our old caravan. The box took up a huge amount of space. For reasons I won't bore you with, we ended up having to stay at the local municipal campsite for a month with our cat and 2 dogs. We did let Smokie roam around the campsite as she got used to her surroundings. However, she was once chased up a tree by another camper's fox terrier, which gave her and us and her a fright! How do folk get on if they're travelling about with a cat, does the cat always have to be kept on a lead? If so, don't think my cats would take kindly to having their freedom curtailed to that extent.
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to ramble on!
Anna

The crystal type cat litters don't smell at all. I considered using removable bars to enclose the over-cab bed as a dog cage for travelling. Maybe if you have an over-cab space you could enclose it for when the doors are open but only when there's good ventilation as hot air does, after-all, rise.

OP
OP
K

Kaz51

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The litter tray is quite small which is what she's use to I have cat basket so I will put her in this when we are moving she is 5 yrs old so a lot of years left in her the cat litter I buy is expensive but odourless so never smells I dont know what I'm going to do in the hot weather any suggestion's greatly received :Confused:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
hot cats

I suppose you could get one of the large cages that collapse flat that they use at dog shows that you could put her in outside in the shade but one of the members who has done it needs to tell us what they do when they leave the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back