can anyone suggest a route (France)? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We are heading to France for the first time, likely dates at the moment are leaving via tunnel around 23rd June returning 14th July.

Don`t want any large cities and ideally want a week or so at a nice camp site with pool etc. Do not want to try and do too many miles for the first trip, so thinking something like taking 2-3 days to get somewhere stopping at aires on route 7-10 days booked on nice site and a few days heading back via a different route again using aires. Could even split the 7-10 days relaxing bit between a couple of sites relatively close together. The site/s need to be close to a town as we won`t be able to move the MH once set up. Also will have dog with us.

An idea of where to head for where there is a nice site would be ideal, stop overs we will obviously find on route.

For our first trip just want a bit of nice weather, dog friendly sightseeing and relaxing. Will go for a late morning train to make sure we get a head start in daylight.

Thanks

Steve

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Steve

If you are willing to drive about 400miles over about 3 days then you open up a massive area of France. You could head over to the Atlantic coast La Rochelle and Royan area lovely place and normally really good weather. Or if you fancy East side you could get down to Annecy absolutely stunning area with loads to do and see you could get there in 2 or 3 days easy drive we did it with 1 overnight stop. Once there you have a choice of campsites we turned up at the end of July without booking and got in no problem.

You could also get to Sarlat in the Dordonge region another stunning area loads of campsites and lovely wee towns and villages to vist. There again you could travel about 200miles and still find lovely places.

If you decide on any the above areas then please feel free to ask questions and i will try my best to answer them. Just a thought do you have kids with you or just adults.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks Gerry, just adults. This is the problem, there seems to be so many areas to choose from, we could just float around but would feel more comfortable having somewhere to head for.

Never having been before it`s difficult to know which way to head.

Thanks again.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know what you mean Steve people tend to forget how big a place France is:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you went down the east side i find it to be quieter and you get the chance to nip in and out of other countries for the day. Our first trip to France with MH was the east side and we loved it we tend not to plan to much just a rough route we are wanting to take, no matter where you opt for you will love it, As i said earlier once decided will be able to help you more with routes aires and must see places.

Gerry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Steve!

Just a warning ....The 14th Is the national day so, be prepared to have a bit of a mess in the villages you'll be going through :RollEyes:Except bakeries in most places , all the other shops will be closed , so don't expect to be able to do some shopping before taking the train back. If you think you'll feel more secure to have my mobile number before leaving just let me know in a PM.

Happy travels and ... Welcome on the French territory

Amicalement

Frankie

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When travelling in France we set a limit of around 300 miles a day. On that basis if you were heading west from Calais I can recommend the free Aire at Fougeres (NE of Rennes) as a good stopping point for the first leg of your journey. If you don't want to travel so far, Honfleur is handy if you take the northern route that avoids Rouen and crosses the Pont de Normandie.

We're big fans of the Poitou-Charentes area (La Rochelle, Ile d'Oleron, La Palmyre/Saint Palais -sur-Mer) although for the latter two you'd probably benefit most from using bikes or public transport to get around. Plenty of places to stretch your legs anyway. Oleron isn't particularly MH friendly once you've found an Aire/Campsite to park at. Parc Puy du Fou is worth a look on the way down or back, especially the evening Cinescenie show. I should add that at La Rochelle you can stop overnight in a designated MH area in the Park and Ride (Ave Jean Moulin) and the fee includes a free return bus ticket to the town centre. It was 10.50 Euros a night at Easter.

Other possibilities - Le Croisic, situated on a headland so plenty of coastline to explore, big supermarket in the town. There's also a reasonable amount of variety on the Quiberon peninsula, and being quite narrow nothing is too far away if you camp centrally.

Another personal favourite - Tregastel-Plage on Brittany's Pink Granite Coast. If you like coastal walks and unique scenery you will never tire of this place. Again, a big Super-U supermarket in the town. The Ile Renote is especially lovely. There's a well-appointed campsite (Le Ranolien) with all the trimmings in the area, although we prefer the Aire, which is less cost and more central.

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
When travelling in France we set a limit of around 300 miles a day. On that basis if you were heading west from Calais I can recommend the free Aire at Fougeres (NE of Rennes) as a good stopping point for the first leg of your journey. If you don't want to travel so far, Honfleur is handy if you take the northern route that avoids Rouen and crosses the Pont de Normandie.

We're big fans of the Poitou-Charentes area (La Rochelle, Ile d'Oleron, La Palmyre/Saint Palais -sur-Mer) although for the latter two you'd probably benefit most from using bikes or public transport to get around. Plenty of places to stretch your legs anyway. Oleron isn't particularly MH friendly once you've found an Aire/Campsite to park at. Parc Puy du Fou is worth a look on the way down or back, especially the evening Cinescenie show. I should add that at La Rochelle you can stop overnight in a designated MH area in the Park and Ride (Ave Jean Moulin) and the fee includes a free return bus ticket to the town centre. It was 10.50 Euros a night at Easter.

Other possibilities - Le Croisic, situated on a headland so plenty of coastline to explore, big supermarket in the town. There's also a reasonable amount of variety on the Quiberon peninsula, and being quite narrow nothing is too far away if you camp centrally.

Another personal favourite - Tregastel-Plage on Brittany's Pink Granite Coast. If you like coastal walks and unique scenery you will never tire of this place. Again, a big Super-U supermarket in the town. The Ile Renote is especially lovely. There's a well-appointed campsite (Le Ranolien) with all the trimmings in the area, although we prefer the Aire, which is less cost and more central.

All the above, when I'm bored with UK life I just pop thru the tunnnel and roam this way. Never get tired of France, always a new village or bit of scenery I've missed, and close to hand, only a couple hundred k and your away from the hustle n bussle.
Get the ACSI book and the aires guide and you can't go wrong, well some of the cheap wine is a tad rough.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We have been traveling through and to France for over 40 years and it always has something new to offer.For a first trip to stand the best chance of good weather (even in summer) you need to get south of the Loire.We have had some lovely times in Normandy and Britany but the vagaries of climate are much the same as in the south of England.We spend a lot of time in the Dordogne and Lot as we have relations living there but it is great for countryside, history,wine and food.If you want the coast the Vendee is great but less interesting inland we find.Alsace is beautiful as is Provence but both are a tad more expensive and at that time of year getting busier.
Wherever you go.. enjoy! :thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Probably the best site we've ever been to

Link Removed

Great area for relaxing, just a short bus ride to Mont Saint Michel (or level cycle ride) and on-site amenities including pool.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Steve

Have you thought of just "turning up" and following your instincts? I realise for the first trip to France this may seem a little too adventurous, but most will tell you on here that France is the most Motorhome friendly country and we find it particularly dog friendly too. No objection to taking your dog into bars if that is your thing. Our first Motorhome trip to France we just "wandered", strangely we ended up in Annecy, like another poster mentioned.

I don't think there is a bad region in France. Yes, avoid Paris, Marseilles, Lyon etc as driving can get a little frantic there, however, I find that in a Motorhome your have more "presence" than in a car and are therefore afforded a little more space.

Whatever you do, you will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Steve

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I would say head down to The Vendee (It's our favourite part of France)..it's a steady drive there over a couple of days..TRY The Il-de-Re smashing place very bike friendly..as is The Il-de-Oleron..we thought it was (VERY) Motorhome friendly...all along that coast is good lots of great PLACES....

We did as Steve suggested for our first jolly in the van to France..we got the books...Maps...Aires books...Alan Rogers Guide etc etc and just "cuffed it"...it works we didn't really have an itinery just an idea where we wanted to go..places where we parked during the day just for a bite to eat we usually bumped into other Brits in Motorhomes and caravans and we got lots of good advice....We even bumped into a friend of mine who I'd worked with who was truck driving doing the France runs...Small World......Enjoy France..it's great...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To clarify my earlier comment about the Ile d'Oleron - it's very motorhome friendly (and economical) in terms of places to stop, (ie Aires that are ex-campsites offering basic showers and toilet blocks, low cost Aires like Dolus d'Oleron at only 30 Euros a week last summer, and low cost campsites like Camping des Remparts at Chateau d'), but once you're stopped it's best to stay put. We saw a lot of height barriers and parking restrictions at the principal attractions around the Island, which made us grateful for having taken bikes.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Thanks for the info on this topic, as going for a 2 week meander,in the middle of June, think i will try to make I.ll d Oleron, as i am taking my leci bike, but we will see:Smile:..........Del

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back