Filling Gaslow / Alugas bottles. (1 Viewer)

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello All

Dave Newell will be fitting an Alugas system to my wagon shortly. I am aware that there is a place near him where I can fill up so that is not a problem.

Having read numerous threads about the issues surrounding these systems I am ok with my decisions regarding filler position, supposed problems with filling in France, lack of filling places in Spain and so on.

However, there is something I'm not so clear on and that is what info there is out there regarding filling depots here and in Europe. It's not the petrol station locations that I'm on about because I will be able to see whether they do gas when I'm passing. It's the depots specifically because I get the impression that gas may be cheaper in those than at the roadside??????

I have asked for three different adapters because I felt that that way I would be likely to be set up for just about every place I'm likely to visit. (French / Italian, European and Spanish adapters)

Any info on websites or other info that may help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In peparation for Dave fitting our Alugas bottle I downloaded both Forecourt and Non-Forecourt PoI sets, I think from http://www.tomtomfree.com. However, I can only see the Forecourt one there now. I have to say that I'm not impressed with the accuracy as the closest of each type to us ceased to sell LPG years ago. Indeed, the non-forecourt depot was flattened and replaced by another building years ago.

I've started making a note of places we've actually seen and will create my own PoI set when I have time. In the meantime, though, I did find the Calor/Shell/Autogas set Broken Link Removed although they are forecourt only I think.

For your initial fill I expect Dave will direct you to the same place he sent us, a mile or so from his workshop.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
google flogas they have a site . but olley as alot on his.
flogas are quite nicely priced as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You are quite close to me so I suggest you get an account with Countrywide Farmers.

See my response to another LPG thread earlier today:
Broken Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hello All

Dave Newell will be fitting an Alugas system to my wagon shortly. I am aware that there is a place near him where I can fill up so that is not a problem.

Having read numerous threads about the issues surrounding these systems I am ok with my decisions regarding filler position, supposed problems with filling in France, lack of filling places in Spain and so on.

However, there is something I'm not so clear on and that is what info there is out there regarding filling depots here and in Europe. It's not the petrol station locations that I'm on about because I will be able to see whether they do gas when I'm passing. It's the depots specifically because I get the impression that gas may be cheaper in those than at the roadside??????

I have asked for three different adapters because I felt that that way I would be likely to be set up for just about every place I'm likely to visit. (French / Italian, European and Spanish adapters)

Any info on websites or other info that may help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bill
http://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=listpricesall.php&listmonths=1

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks All. Some helpful stuff there. Regarding the account at countrywide I'll certainly bear it in mind for the future. As I'm only having one 6kg cyllinder fitted just now much will depend on how much I use and the difference in price compared to other outlets agianst whether its worth having another card, account and pin number to worry about.

Thanks again

bill

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
filling gas bottles

Hi all regarding filling bottles most boat mariners here and in spain france etc will fill gas bottles and cheap to Thanks Bernie:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wow, impressed by the list of suppliers. I have the distinction of getting my autogas a couple of days ago at the most expensive place in the country (no 329 Golden Cross) must be good, as people say on the forum 'you get what you pay for' :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We filled up our Gaslow at a Flogas depot whilst on a CL in deepest Norfolk. NP whatsoever. They did have a BIG sign up saying words to the effect that Bottles couldn't be filled but we took that to mean 'loose' bottles and it turned out to be correct. Said it's fine if it's all installed properly with correct tubing and filler gizmo actually permanently fixed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Usually vans with small bottles have Eberspacher heating.
6kg 11.5 litres usually last about 30 days avg mix of on/off hookup
My half full gaslow just nearly managed 3 weeks through France to Spain and back. 3 days on calorlite
gaslow1-L.jpg

The gauge on the gaslow actually does not begin to move until the tank is nearly half depleted

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
With an 80% fill I make that 4.8kg of gas-how long would you expect that to last ?
All our heating and cooking is by gas-so that wouldn't last us very long.

Mike.

See what you are getting at but feel it will suit us judging from our usage to date and the way we tour.

hope the quote work, first time I've tried it.

bill

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Our gas lasts ages.

I fitted a Gaslow 11kg a while back and have only filled it once which cost about £15 (from memory).

We use gas for water heating and cooking, including an outside BBQ. It's been fitted for quite a few trips now, including a 10 day euro trip and there's still plenty left.

The way I see it is, yes, it can be done cheaper at Gas outlets with the lower Tax, but the cost is so small anyway and the frequency even smaller that I'll just fill it with Autogas everytime as it's convienient.

I was keeping a keen eye on the French Petrol Stations, albeit Motorway ones, and they all had LPG (so did a lot of Italian ones) and the cost seemed similar to what we pay at UK Petrol Stations.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Our gas lasts ages.
We use gas for water heating and cooking, including an outside BBQ. It's been fitted for quite a few trips now, including a 10 day euro trip and there's still plenty left.

The way I see it is, yes, it can be done cheaper at Gas outlets with the lower Tax, but the cost is so small anyway and the frequency even smaller that I'll just fill it with Autogas everytime as it's convienient.

We have a 40ltr tank-filled in UK,then went to Marjal for 4 weeks followed by 4 weeks touring back through France,with heating on quite a few nights -Filled again at Auchan Bolougne the day we came back.
It took 21 ltres (10.5kg) I think and cost pennies ::bigsmile: Personally I can't be bothered to go hunting around ,using up diesel to save a few pennies on gas.

Mike.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Bottles are sized for an 80% fill of what is marked on the bottle... , so a 6kg bottle will hold .. 6kg.

When I went to school 80% of 6 was 4.8-did it change recently ? ::bigsmile:
Are you saying that my 40ltr tank when 80% full will be holding...40ltrs ?
Or,are you saying that a bottle marked 6kg would actually take 7.5 Kg. ? If it was filled to 100%.

Mike.

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't know the answer to this 80% business but either way I'll survive whatever it is.

Also I was asking about lists of gas depots where the gas MAY be cheaper to give me more choice and flexibility. I'm of the same opinion as some others on here, I'll fill with autogas if I need gas or at a slightly cheaper gas depot if it is convenient to do so. Like whats been said we're talking pennies.

Another thank you to everyone for their input.

bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes when you buy a full bottle og gas it should have 13kg of butane or 15kg of propane . etc 6 kg of gas .etc .the 80%is of the total capacity. even so calor and other gas places very often fill to 90% .
you may be suprised how much you can get in a bottle till the pump stops . you may find this out when the 80%cut out mal functions and they very often do. having used lpg cars for years it happens very often .

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
yes when you buy a full bottle og gas it should have 13kg of butane or 15kg of propane . etc 6 kg of gas .etc .the 80%is of the total capacity. even so calor and other gas places very often fill to 90% .
you may be suprised how much you can get in a bottle till the pump stops . you may find this out when the 80%cut out mal functions and they very often do. having used lpg cars for years it happens very often .

Yes-I have noticed that my fixed tank sometimes fills to 95%

Mike

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm learning all the time here, thanks. "80% cut off fails they OFTEN do" had heard they do fail but not OFTEN doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Looks like this refillable lark is going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Dreading the first few fills, won't be able to put my fingers in my ears while I'm holding the gun. Have to get the wife to do that for me.

bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you would really have to get alot in to blow a bottle . even the pump cant do that .
you have to think they fill these bottles and leave them in the sun in the sahara desert at the side of the road when delivering to customers . villages can be miles away from the main road. you know on tuesday that the truck with full bottles is coming . leave your bottle with the money under it .come back later you have a full bottle .its been in the hot sun all day . sometimes its even hot to touch. i have never seen one blow . imagine the expansion of the liquid .must be incredible . so a few % extra at the pump doesnt really matter. once you have done it a few times you will think back and smile of your thoughts now. even if the 80%cut out is not working you still cant fill it complete as the garage pumps have a cut out as well.
be unlikely that all the cut outs have broken . but anyway as you get near full the pump noise changes . you will soon understand the noise.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You wont blow a bottle
The danger is that liquid gas may go through your regulator rather than vapour if filled too much. I asked the question recently

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
vwalan and Techno100.

Thank that gives me a bit of confidence. Was having a bit of a joke really suppose if there was any real risk at all we would hear of cylinders blowing more often.

I had a calor 6kg filled just outside Albufiera early this year and checked the weight afterwards and it was a bit over what it should have been but its been fine. Comforting to know that the gun / pump have safety built into them as well.

All the things being mentioned here as obvious as some may be are all helpful to have a background knowledge.

bill

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would not worry about a slight overfill after all on Calors web site it states bottles can be 80 to 87% full :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I filled my completely empty 6kg gaslow recently for the second time.

The first fill stopped at 80% a little over 11.5 litres (gaslow instructions warn that on first fill it is possible it may not stop but ok on subsequent fills)

The second fill I let the button go at 12.16 litres so I'll never know whether it would have stopped?

If I had a twin bottle system I'd have no idea how much gas was in so not have the luxury of knowing when to stop filling. One bottle could be 100% while still filling the second :Eeek:

Perhaps Gaslow instructions should not specify 80% but somewhere after but not more than 100% LOL

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I filled my completely empty 6kg gaslow recently for the second time.

The first fill stopped at 80% a little over 11.5 litres (gaslow instructions warn that on first fill it is possible it may not stop but ok on subsequent fills)

The second fill I let the button go at 12.16 litres so I'll never know whether it would have stopped?

If I had a twin bottle system I'd have no idea how much gas was in so not have the luxury of knowing when to stop filling. One bottle could be 100% while still filling the second :Eeek:
::bigsmile:The 80% shut off valve should have cut in @12 ltrs or there about:thumb:so .16 is nothing but if I was you I would have kept filling just to make sure the cut off devise is working :thumb: There are lots of posts about floats not working and filling pipes/joints leaking on gaslow :Eeek:But it is all OK because they have 15 yrs gtee and replace things :Doh: not one mention of how dangerous over filling the faulty bottle is :Doh:IF I had the system I would be checking how much went in every time -just like you did :thumb:
terry

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Always carry a can of detection spray!
Link Removed
As for floats the level gauge float can be restricted by the outlet valve fitting being turned too far on assembly. If it starts to point towards the bottle side then the float cannot lift fully as it hits the tank side.
My valve fitting was actually loose as supplied by hamilton gas i.e. when I turned the isolation valve anti clockwise the whole fitting turned

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind i find if you just fill to the pump makes alot of noise and slows down it works.

OP
OP
fusbill

fusbill

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The more this goes on the more questions I think of. My system will, as said, be a single refillable Alugas and a calor. Does the calor have to be turned off when filling to prevent it being topped up? I have a bulkhead regulator with one of those, not very accurate, Gaslow gauge / leak detector thingy wotsits.

Having thought about it I may be able to answer my own question. When filling the Alugas must be switched off which will prevent gas passing through the regulator into the calor bottle. This would mean that a two bottle refillable system would have both bottles open to allow the gas to pass through the gauge, leak detector / regulator????? I am aware that there is a bottle one with the filler attached and an outlet point and a bottle two with just the out outlet.

Phew, I do go on a bit.

bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010